Need a dirt cheap 3.5'' to 2.5'' adapter to mount an SSD in my case.

Oct 20, 2012
Dear all,

I need an adapter to mount an SSD I just bought into my case. My case has A LOT of 3.5'' internal and external slots, but unfortunately no 2.5'' slots for an SSD.

Can you guys recommend me something dirt cheap (~<$5 shipped to my house) to make this happen?

Thanks much,
-DV

Oct 20, 2012
Just screw it down or put belco.

Screw it down where? The slot is 3.5'' wide, and the SSD is 2.5'' wide..how should I screw it down??
Unless you mean: screw it down from one side (i.e. put the drive say flush to one side of the 3.5'' slot, and then screw it down on one side and forget about the other. Would this be safe? I imagine since there are no "moving parts" in an SSD it should be ok...? Good idea (if it works/is safe)!! :)

I was going to suggest velcro as well. Another thought, although I haven't tried it myself, is to use the adhesive portion of those 3M command strips.

-KeithP

Thanks for the option, but I don't like the idea of using velcro or adhesives..I worry what would happen if it gets too hot (unlikely, but I'm just paranoid).

Is there no like cheap metal mount/adapter somewhere online..?

Thanks,
-DV

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2012
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817994085

It was $5 when I bought one a while back.

Don't most SSDs come with brackets for this, though? (Mine did.)

Mine (Samsung 830) didn't come with any brackets. Did you get a chance to see my post above:

put the drive say flush to one side of the 3.5'' slot, and then screw it down on one side and forget about the other.

Would this work? I mean, it would probably work, I just want to know if its safe (b/c I don't see a downside, and I want to make sure there isn't one)?

Thanks,
-DV

riversend

Dec 31, 2009
I should think you are ok with the one side secured. These drives are not to heavy, so unless you are slinging your case around going to lan parties then it shoudl be no problem.

Oct 20, 2012
I should think you are ok with the one side secured. These drives are not to heavy, so unless you are slinging your case around going to lan parties then it shoudl be no problem.

Sweet. ALSO, there are two additional "external" 3.5'' bays towards the top of the case, so my drive would actually be resting on metal surface. This way the drive won't actually be suspended in air, but actually be sitting on a metal panel (screwed on one side). I think this adds another layer of stability to it..sorry if my description didn't make sense..

Look at the 5th image in the image gallery; its the slots right below the 5.25'' slots..Newegg Images

Thanks,
-DV

bamaland101

Jul 21, 2012
didnt your ssd come in a little white box? that box is 3.5" wide :)
as for velcro, dont be paranoid, i've stacked 3 ssd's on top of each other in my ps07b that were hidden behind the psu/mobo tray, and they never got more than 32c thats little to no air flow around them..

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817994085

It was $5 when I bought one a while back.

Don't most SSDs come with brackets for this, though? (Mine did.)

Depends on the manufactor. Intel has included this bracket on all the ssd's I have purchased along with a molex to sata adapter and sata cable iincluded.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811993005

Samsung charges another $20 over the bare drive for the same bracket and a OEM copy of Ghost.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Masking tape is fine too. No moving parts, no vibration. It's a big, fast USB flash drive and you don't worry about fastening them down do you?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
duct tape. or just go to home depot and get longer screws.

Oct 20, 2012
Thanks for all the replies; I think I'll just screw in one side, and make sure its resting on the metal 3.5'' panel as I said in my previous post.

Thanks again,
-DV