Need a device to send audio from devices via WiFi in apartment

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I need a solution for audio devices (turntable and CD player) to have them output to a port of some kind that can send their signals via WiFi to another room. Be it my receiver itself sending a line-out signal to the port or each individual device going to the port and also out to the receiver. From the research I've done, it looks as though the Sonos Port (and the older Connect) is the only thing that can do this. Is there anything else?
- I don't want to have to get a new Yamaha receiver. Even though it would have MusicCast. It seems wasteful to me when the one I have is fantastic still despite not having MusicCast.
- When recommending a port-type system, we use absolutely no streaming services whatsoever so that's not a deciding factor at all. This only has to send a quality WiFi signal of the audio devices mentioned.
- Price isn't an issue if it's going to finally facilitate this. I know there are some people who are never going to understand our desire to hear our records and CDs in another room, but it's how we like to enjoy our collection, simple as that.

So, any recommendations? Is Sonos Port all there is, because despite looking at Bose, Bluesound, AudioPro, it seems that nothing else is built for audio device RCA or headphone jack input.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Does it have to be wifi? Here is a BT one. Just example, I don't know the quality.

I don't think there is a market for wifi audio transceiver. Wireless is used in the pro audio market but they use dedicated channels.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
There are newer receivers out there that afford IP-based speakers. Some use proprietary protocols, though.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
He specifically said he doesn't want to replace his receiver lol.
Exactly. However, the reason for the WiFi that I've heard of is that it doesn't matter where you are in the home network. As long as you can get to your WiFi network, you can get the signal on WiFi speakers. If it was just to be in the same room, bluetooth would be the simpler option. I think the Sonos Port is fast becoming my only real option.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Exactly. However, the reason for the WiFi that I've heard of is that it doesn't matter where you are in the home network. As long as you can get to your WiFi network, you can get the signal on WiFi speakers. If it was just to be in the same room, bluetooth would be the simpler option. I think the Sonos Port is fast becoming my only real option.

This one claims 265ft line of sight, I imagine it should work for your appartment through walls.

Or go pro audio

Or a video transmitter/receiver but just use the audio portion

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Last edited:
Reactions: tinpanalley

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Err he is trying to play from his cd and vinyl and pipe wirelessly. Can that work that way?

Esit. Read the description, looks like it can work that way.
Yeah, looks like it does do it. I guess I'd need to export the receiver to a mini jack? I guess depends on whether this one or the Sonos is cheaper and better quality. Although, for LPs and CDs, anything redbook quality is enough.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah, looks like it does do it. I guess I'd need to export the receiver to a mini jack? I guess depends on whether this one or the Sonos is cheaper and better quality. Although, for LPs and CDs, anything redbook quality is enough.

It looks like it is a combo analogue minijack / mini toslink jack. You just need a stereo rca to stereo minijack cable.