Need a credit card with a high limit and decent APR

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Well, I've been looking around at taking loans for paying off my tax debt ($7000) but most personal loan rates are crazy compared to a credit card's. So I was wondering if I should get 1 or 2 credit cards and pay the debt off that way. Does anyone know any cards that are more lenient with their limits? I have decent credit (I'm 21) and have had no problems getting cards before. I just needed to find a card with a limit that can help me pay off my debt.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
That sounds like a terrible idea. Why not ask for their (IRS) repayment plan. IIRC they charge "only" 9% which beats any CC rates.

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
If you have decent credit now and want to max out your "brand new" credit cards you are looking at getting, your credit won't look so good anymore. You'll have way too high credit limit/debt ratio on them.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Yeah, also I just thought about the worse APR on cash advances... I guess the credit card idea is out

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Well I can get cash out on my cards at about 11.5%, which isn't hideous, but there is a 3% surcharge on top of that too.

I'd recommend against buying that car ;)

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: geno
Yeah, also I just thought about the worse APR on cash advances... I guess the credit card idea is out

I wouldn't be so worried about the APR as most CC companies will give you debt-consolidation cheques/offers at even a better rate that your standard APR. It's just the debt ratio on the new cards that I think will do the most damage to your rating.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: AnyMal
That sounds like a terrible idea. Why not ask for their (IRS) repayment plan. IIRC they charge "only" 9% which beats any CC rates.

I've been trying to figure out the term of their payment plan, I'll need to give them a call and find out, I need to stretch this out over more than the 3 years I've been seeing for personal loans, I just can't afford $250-300 a month :(

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: spherrod
weird - I always thought personal loans had much better rates (5-7%) than a credit card?

That seems really low, remember personal loans are UNSECURED there is no collateral.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Rossman, you were an answer to one of the questions in my FAQ thread, but since you're difficult to get a hold of I didn't put it in :eek:

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Well, I found a loan for 11% at a local credit union, doesn't seem so bad

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001

I've been trying to figure out the term of their payment plan, I'll need to give them a call and find out, I need to stretch this out over more than the 3 years I've been seeing for personal loans, I just can't afford $250-300 a month :(

On your application you indicate how much you're willing to pay per month, AFAIK there is no deadset amount. If there is a balance when you file next year, it will be deducted from your refund if there is one owed to you.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Here's what you can do. If you have decent credit, you can apply for a CC that has a 0% balance transfer promo going on, preferably for 12 months. Can you pay it all off in that time? If not, at the end of the 12 months, transfer that balance over to another card that has a 0% promo

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Rossman, you were an answer to one of the questions in my FAQ thread, but since you're difficult to get a hold of I didn't put it in :eek:

Get on MSN Messenger tonight and contact me :)

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

On your application you indicate how much you're willing to pay per month, AFAIK there is no deadset amount. If there is a balance when you file next year, it will be deducted from your refund if there is one owed to you.

Application? The only way I saw to apply for their payment plan was to call it in...