Question Need a cheap video card during RMA

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
My RX 5700 no longer works 100%. I have to keep it at 85-90% otherwise it will crash in games. I got approval for an RMA, but it could take a month or even longer. I usually have a spare video card, but at the moment I can't seem to find one.

I am looking for something to hold me over until I would get my RX 5700 back. I don't need to game or anything, just something to let me use the computer. It looks like a Radeon HD 6470 would be the cheapest option, and there look to be drivers for Windows 10. Is there any reason this would not work? Or, does anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The drivers for that will be older, as AMD EOL'ed driver development for pre-GCN cards many years ago. I am unsure as to the compatibility with the latest and greatest version of Windows 10. The GT710 is another options in a similar state. Similar price, technically has Windows 10 drivers. Hopefully either one will allow for regular desktop usage.

But what you are going through is one of my fears. If my card fails, I am kind of screwed. I can't just buy a new one, and RMA's are significantly delayed. Meanwhile we now have celebrities advertising for crypto :(

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I guess I'm lucky it didn't just fail outright. I even thought about putting a 3200G in there for the moment, but even those are overpriced. And you are right about RMA's. I think it said up to 35 days plus shipping. I can go without gaming, but I also use this computer for doing actual work.

Johnny Ringo

Dec 6, 2012
I guess I'm lucky it didn't just fail outright. I even thought about putting a 3200G in there for the moment, but even those are overpriced. And you are right about RMA's. I think it said up to 35 days plus shipping. I can go without gaming, but I also use this computer for doing actual work.
I am using a cheap GT 710 for normal office/browsing/Youtube/RDP sessions etc with zero issues on a pair of 27" 1920x1080 monitors/Windows 10. I don't game on PC, so for regular run of the mill desktop computing a GT 710 will work just fine in Windows 10.

I paid about $40 for mine about 12 months ago (which I still thought the price was too high for as old as the technology was)--but with Covid supply issues, looks like the price is around $60-$65 now. Ouch.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I'd be happy to loan you my 710 from my test bench.

What a great community I'm glad I posted. That would be great if you could go without it for what looks to be up to 4-5 weeks. If that works for you PM me and we can set it up. I'll gladly cover the cost of shipping and any other incidentals.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I am a little late here but I have a 7970HD I am not using as a second option.

You'd actually be the 3rd :) . That's why I commented on the generosity of the community. I'll gladly accept assistance from anyone as they all sound like they'd work for what I need. It'd probably be best to stick with AMD so I don't have to mix and match drivers but whatever works is fine with me.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Best I have spare is a Sapphire 6970 with a custom cooler. That 7970 should be a good deal better though. Anyway I will likely sell the 6970, and would only be open to lending it locally. Shipping can be a bit of a hassle, so I would only do so if selling an item.

Anyway, good luck! I don't know what brand of RX 5700 you have, but when I had to RMA my AMD Ryzen 5900X, the whole process was pretty quick. I think I got a replacement in about a week.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
On shipping: For parts the size of a GPU, I use USPS click n ship. I order the flat rate boxes, which are free, and the mail carrier delivers them. Then when shipping, I pay for the flat rate box with paypal, and schedule pick up for the normal delivery. You can specify where you are leaving it, if you are in an apartment or something, where you don't feel comfortable leaving it by the door. In the note section, say it is at the manager's office or whatever.

Reactions: iRONic

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
On shipping: For parts the size of a GPU, I use USPS click n ship. I order the flat rate boxes, which are free, and the mail carrier delivers them. Then when shipping, I pay for the flat rate box with paypal, and schedule pick up for the normal delivery. You can specify where you are leaving it, if you are in an apartment or something, where you don't feel comfortable leaving it by the door. In the note section, say it is at the manager's office or whatever.
I have to figure out how to do that.