Need a bumper for my 95 Pathfinder. Need scrap-yard etc advice

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
Hey guys,
My 95 Pathfinder's rear chrome bumper is starting to rust through and the temporary duct-tape fix is starting to look like an eye-sore. I need internet links or general advice on how to go about finding something specific at a auto scrapyard without going through to much hassle. (I know i can just get a phonebook and call around, but there may be an easier way :p)
Thanks,
AJ.

Passions

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
I know this really good junkyard that has realtime inventory of their cars. You can type in a part you are searching for and it pulls up a list of all cars that match with pictures. You can order online which part you want by sending a jpg of the part circled and described, and they'll strip it off and send it to you. Pretty awesome.

Link

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: BOBBY RIBS
I know this really good junkyard that has realtime inventory of their cars. You can type in a part you are searching for and it pulls up a list of all cars that match with pictures. You can order online which part you want by sending a jpg of the part circled and described, and they'll strip it off and send it to you. Pretty awesome.

Link

Yeah right.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: ajpa123
Hey guys,
My 95 Pathfinder's rear chrome bumper is starting to rust through and the temporary duct-tape fix is starting to look like an eye-sore. I need internet links or general advice on how to go about finding something specific at a auto scrapyard without going through to much hassle. (I know i can just get a phonebook and call around, but there may be an easier way :p)
Thanks,
AJ.

You have a few options.

Most Junk yards local to each other actually "communicate" and share revenue with each other. If you go into a yard and they want your business they will put out a call over a business radio system (usually 400 MHZ) similar to what Taxi cabs Co's use. So they will bring in the part you ask for. It's a buddy system.

Your other option is if the bumper is not mangled you can take it off and have it re-chromed. A local body shop will point you in the right direction to who they use.

One other option is to sand it down, rustoleum it and paint it a nice color to match your vehicle.

Have fun with it.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Hey guys,
Thanks,
AJ.

You have a few options.

Most Junk yards local to each other actually "communicate" and share revenue with each other. If you go into a yard and they want your business they will put out a call over a business radio system (usually 400 MHZ) similar to what Taxi cabs Co's use. So they will bring in the part you ask for. It's a buddy system.

Your other option is if the bumper is not mangled you can take it off and have it re-chromed. A local body shop will point you in the right direction to who they use.

One other option is to sand it down, rustoleum it and paint it a nice color to match your vehicle.

Have fun with it.

Thanks for the advice dmcowen674,
I was thinking of looking for running boards too and any extra things if i can pick them up cheaply.
It's an LE model, so it's got everything except running boards (I didn't realize it had heated seats for 2 months because i never used any of the button below the armrest.. lol

Should be a fun search :p

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000
Hey guys,
Thanks,
AJ.

The easy way.......pick up phone book, call junkyard and tell them what you're looking for. Most large ones have their inventory computerized so they can see if they have your part. If they do, they'll give you a price and you can actually go down and see the part before you buy.

If they don't, most large yards belong to a nationwide search connection for junkyards.........they'll put out a "want" and get responses from other yards. Then they'll give you a price once it's found.

The phone book, esp. the yellow pages, is your friend and probably one of the easiest ways to search for something......and you'll find it locally instead of having to have it shipped sight unseen at exorbitant costs.

Don't be afraid of going boneyard picking......it can be rather fun to crawl around wrecks and you'll never know what you'll find in some of them. ;)