Need a 90* USB 3 header adapter

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
So I bought a RAM cooler and it interferes with my USB 3.0 internal header. I want somthing that will plug into the header on my motherboard, then go 90* to the right so I can plug in my cases' USB 3 cable.

Essentially what I want is this:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13695/usb-08/USB_30_90_Degree_Male_to_Female_External_Adapter.html
(more or less)

But not USB 3 plugs, I want the internal header that goes on a motherboard. Thanks.

Here is a better example:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/280762364930?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
Instead of straight up and down, I want one that goes to the right at an angle from the mobo.

Last edited:

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Is there a particular reason why you feel you need a ram cooler?

Well, I have a lot of RAMz that run fairly fast. But honestly I like it because it has blue LED's on it :D

But that really has nothing to do with the problem at hand. I found a 20 pin IDC cable, but im not sure if its the same thing as the USB 3 header.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Can anyone please help me with this. I want to order this cable and adapter if I know it will work.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
if you look carefully at the mobo's front-panel usb3 header, you will notice in comparison to other headers, that the pins are slightly closer together. the other headers are all 0.1" spacing between pins. The usb3 ones are closer together. So that cable you linked will not work.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
if you look carefully at the mobo's front-panel usb3 header, you will notice in comparison to other headers, that the pins are slightly closer together. the other headers are all 0.1" spacing between pins. The usb3 ones are closer together. So that cable you linked will not work.

Then do you have any other suggestions? I would love for anyone to help, I am not getting much advice thus far.........

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
Can you modify the USB cable itself? Whatever is sticking up and in the way, is it just a molded plastic housing around some wires? If so maybe you can remove it and make things flexible a lot closer to the board.

I'm picturing taking a round IDE cable to a ribbon style, if that means anything to you.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Can you modify the USB cable itself? Whatever is sticking up and in the way, is it just a molded plastic housing around some wires? If so maybe you can remove it and make things flexible a lot closer to the board.

I'm picturing taking a round IDE cable to a ribbon style, if that means anything to you.

I understand exactly what you mean. But I dont want to break the cable, It cant be replaced.

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
I dont want to break the cable, It cant be replaced.

But you're willing to solder to the motherboard ;)

What case do you have? Maybe the company does have the cable for sale, if so you could get one to try out. if it works, swap it, if not then nothing lost (except a few bucks of course).

I like the idea above, too.