Need ~$200 camera suggestions for the wife

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
My wife wants a new camera for Christmas. We currently have a Kodak that she's pretty happy with but her biggest complaint is the shot to shot time is slow. After a few pictures it just stops and "processes" for 15-20 seconds. Battery life sucks but that's a more minor point. She likes the larger cameras with decent optical zoom, not pocket cameras. She really wants a DSLR but it's just not in the budget. Just after a cursory look I am considering the Nikon L110 and Kodak Z981. Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

twistedlogic

Feb 4, 2008
She really wants a DSLR but it's just not in the budget.

May I ask why?

You could find a used second or third gen DSL-R with kit lens for between $200-300. But then your limited to a 4X zoom until you could afford another lens. Don't worry about the lower MP count compared to the P&S, that number has nothing to do with Image Quality.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
May I ask why?

You could find a used second or third gen DSL-R with kit lens for between $200-300. But then your limited to a 4X zoom until you could afford another lens. Don't worry about the lower MP count compared to the P&S, that number has nothing to do with Image Quality.

I'm open to suggestions but a DSLR with no warranty is a bit worrying. I know exactly jack about DSLR's so picking a used is beyond me, point me towards some ideas.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
If you do decide to go DSLR ( on a budget ), keep your eyes open for Refurbished Nikon Cameras; I've seen the D40 refurbed for ~$249 -- that's a killer deal.
I believe Nikon gives you a 90 day warranty on refurbs.
Adorama or B&H has had them from time to time.

speedy2

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2008
Don't be afraid of used DSLR's. They are usually well taken care of, and they last a lot longer then P&S's. I used to have a used 40D. My sister has my XT that I bought new and it's still working great.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If you can dig up a Canon SD4000 for 200 bucks that would be awesome. Somebody somewhere is going to have a black friday sale and that little guy will be cheaper.
Wait, you said you wanted a big power zoom.

Hmmmm.........

Actually for 200 dollars you really cant get much new. Maybe a used good camera, but you'd have to tell us what you found and we'd have to tell you if we think its good or not. Theres too much to recommend.

If you go with a compact (which you didnt want) for 200 bucks you can find a Fuji JZ500 or Sony DSC-H55. In that price range the Sony's are almost always better, so I would get that.

If you absolutely need to have a power zoom you will have to spend closer to 250, and that only gets you a crappy Kodak or an even crappier Fuji SD2500.

So yeah, I am thinking used for you. Or keep digging around Amazon and Google Shopping until something pops up cheap. Black Friday gets closer and many stores will also have sales. Like Best Buy, Target, Walmart.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Alright if this link works:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...ce=200&x=0&y=0

It should have a buttload of stuff from 150 to 200 bucks, but I dont care for most of them. In this group I'd have to say many Canons and most Panasonics are pretty good. Avoid the Fujis and steer away from the Sony's when you have a comparable Canon. Nikon is hit or miss in the low-end P&S group. I recommend you ignore consumer reviews. Most of them dont know what they are talking about or have almost no standards. Go to DPreview.com and look up the camera from a professional reviewer. If somebodies opinion matters, they will get paid for it.

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I recommend you ignore consumer reviews. Most of them dont know what they are talking about or have almost no standards. Go to DPreview.com and look up the camera from a professional reviewer. If somebodies opinion matters, they will get paid for it.

good point. but dpreview rarely reviews compact cameras. i'd like for them to do roundups each fall of the major categories (budget, travel zoom, weatherproof, super zoom, premium/enthusiast) but i don't think they did that last year. stevesdigicams seems to review a lot more small cameras, and imaging-resource often has some. i wouldn't expect to find a review for every compact camera from a professional reviewer.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
good point. but dpreview rarely reviews compact cameras. i'd like for them to do roundups each fall of the major categories (budget, travel zoom, weatherproof, super zoom, premium/enthusiast) but i don't think they did that last year. stevesdigicams seems to review a lot more small cameras, and imaging-resource often has some. i wouldn't expect to find a review for every compact camera from a professional reviewer.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q110superzoomgroup/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/

twistedlogic

Feb 4, 2008
I'm open to suggestions but a DSLR with no warranty is a bit worrying.

That was one of my big worries too, a warranty. How often did your P&S get serviced? I'd say that the warranty will probably expire way before you see any problems with your camera. And you can always put insurance on your camera if you so desire. These DSLRs are rated to handle 50,000 to 150,000 actuations before the shutter starts to fail.

As for suggestion, I recommend a Canon or Nikon. Not taking away from any other vendor, its just these two have the biggest market control, making it easier to sell/buy products. Maybe a Canon Rebel XT, XS, or Xsi, or the more robust Canon 20D or 30D. Maybe the Nikon D40/D40x/D60 or D70s/D50. Not sure on current used prices.

Be aware that a DSLR is pretty big, so if your looking for something to fit into your pocket and take everywhere, a P&S is the way to go.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
She likes the larger cameras with decent optical zoom, not pocket cameras. She really wants a DSLR but it's just not in the budget.

If she really wants a DSLR, it'd probably make more sense to get one you can afford when you can instead of offering her a substitute and eventually getting her the DSLR in any case after having spent that money.

Here's a specific suggestion based on price:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...83/prices-html

Here are some others:

http://cameras.pricegrabber.com/digital/p/48/st=sort/sortby=priceA/popup5[]=10:578

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
If she really wants a DSLR, it'd probably make more sense to get one you can afford when you can instead of offering her a substitute and eventually getting her the DSLR in any case after having spent that money.

Here's a specific suggestion based on price:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...83/prices-html

Here are some others:

http://cameras.pricegrabber.com/digital/p/48/st=sort/sortby=priceA/popup5[]=10:578

I was about to talk shit about Sony's memory sticks and then I saw it takes SD cards, that price is pretty damn tempting even though my luck with Sony camera's hasn't been great. I may have to pull out the plastic on that one.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
Sony DSLRs have a Minolta heritage, which have photographic credibility and lineage beyond the Sony P&S.