NEC e-ips ea231wmi review

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Interesting.... A bit (No, a LOT) more backlight bleed on the review sample than I'd probably tolerate though.

No Overdrive/RTC? Inconclusive; the reviewer didn't bother to check and see if it even had it, apparently. On a 2x90WUXi it's buried in the advanced OSD.

Will it be available in the 'States? It's Energy Star certified, but the 1080p market is getting tough. Lotsa cheapo 1080p TNs out there nowadays.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
the backlight looks bad but that's a pretty typical pattern. i wonder if it's exaggerated a bit by the camera. if it looks like that in person, yeah, bad.

and boo 16:9.

what's the street price on this?

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
shouldn't they be putting LEDs in these now? Is it too much to ask for an IPS panel with LED lighting? If netbooks are using LEDs can't see why standalones can't.
I guess OLEDs might work as well, but I'm worried about degradation for those and don't think I can afford the price.

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
The NEC EA231WMi has been as cheap as $285ish in the States, and there was an Amazon cashback option taking it down to nearly $260 US. I probably ought to have bought it then, especially since in my case, lack of wide gamut is a desirable feature, not a drawback.

IPS panel colour and uniformity issues appear to be growing over at LG.Display. I wonder if the relative placing of the three budget 23-24" IPS displays' panels by TFT Central had to do with the chronology of the reviews (HP was reviewed quite a while ago, Dell a few months ago).

If the NEC were 1920x1200, I'd have bought it weeks ago. As it is, I've to weigh the loss of 120 vertical pixels v the sRGB capability of the NEC. I'm rather hoping Dell will fix the dithering issue in their display's otherwise respectable sRGB mode.

JaBro999

Sep 14, 2006
I guess OLEDs might work as well, but I'm worried about degradation for those and don't think I can afford the price.

OLED is a totally different technology than today's LCD w/ LED backlight. And, unfortunately, OLED appears to be years away from coming to 20"+ monitors and 30"+ TVs at anywhere near affordable prices.

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
OLED is a totally different technology than today's LCD w/ LED backlight. And, unfortunately, OLED appears to be years away from coming to 20"+ monitors and 30"+ TVs at anywhere near affordable prices.

I know hence the comment about degradation and price. Perhaps they've fixed the degradation issue though so they have a nice lifetime now. I've seen a very expensive portable dvd player using it which looked nice, but didn't justify the price in my book.
I've heard the new zunes use OLED now as well though I've never seen one.