NEC 2080UXi - info needed

Low Radiation

Aug 15, 2006
I'm planing to buy this monitor and only one thing stops me - i don't know if it's good enough for gaming. Please share your experiences with me and help me decide.

I don't expect the speed of fastest TN panels, but i play games so it must be good for that use...

I wanted to take 20wgx2, but i don't like the glossy screen and extremely high brightness frightens me.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
Ive owned 4 of these monitors, each went back to NEC. They finally swapped it for the 2090UXi, both have very good image quality but both have issues. The major issue i had with the 2080 was the uneven white balence using 93k colour temp. Half the screen would be white while the other half would have a tint of yellow to it, really annoying when reading webpages with white backgrounds. All of the 4 2080's i had suffered the same problem. Second major issue was it suffers image persistance when it gets hot. Like i posted in anther thread, in winter i never had this problem. If neither of these issues bother you (why wouldnt they when you gonna drop half a grand on one) then its a very good monitor.

Anyway as for gaming. My sole reason for buying this big 20.1" monitor. Its ok, but the response time is slow by todays standards (16ms). It doesnt bother me that much as i can bare the slight blur when looking around with my mouse. The 2090 is the same despite advertsing a 8ms GTG response time, i found it performed exactly the same as the 16ms 2080. Gaming is not what this monitor was intended for, but it can still handle the job reasonably. If i was you i would go for the 20WGX2, Its faster and designed for gamers in mind and if you trying to avoid glossy screens you will be disapointed to know both the 2080 and 2090 have one. Its not a bad thing, infact when you get used to it you wont want to go back. The brightness on the 20WGX2 can be ajusted anyways so dont let that scare you.

If i had a choice i would never have bothered with the 2080UXi, not after all the problems i had. Not when i paid close to £600 for it. If you cant bare the 20WGX2 have a look at the Viewsonic VP2030B, but beware it has some issues with DVI and Nvidia cards (google vp2030b dvi problem).

Hope this helps.

Edit: I forgot to add the LCD2090UXi solves the unbalanced white uniformity by adding a feature called colorcomp, which for a slight cost of luminance it evens out the whites nicely.

If you want me to i can take a short video of the 2090 running a game? Gaming performance is the same as the 2080.

Low Radiation

Aug 15, 2006
Thank you for your response. I get everything, but i think 2080 and 2090 don't have the glossy screens?

Can you compare 2080uxi's response time with some tn panels (i have experience with them, so it would be clearer to me).

And i'd like to see that little video :)

Thanx again

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
I had a old 16ms TN VP171B and the gaming performance is exactly the same as that in terms of speed.
The glossy coating on the 2080 and 2090 looks like there is a "crystalized" effect on the screen, maybe my perception of "glossy" is invalid or it may not be the same glossy screen as what is on the 20WGX2 but its certainly noticable (looks like the glossy photopaper you can buy for inkjet printers).

Anyway the videos;

Red Orchestra
CS:Source

Low Radiation

Aug 15, 2006
thanx a lot, Dkcode ;)
From videos, i think i could live with this speed.

Are you personaly satisfied with response time on your 2090?
I know that picture in other aplications is superb.

Would you really go for 20wgx2 instead of your monitor?

You didnt enable vsync...if you were, i could see even better..but it's clear like this too....

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
I am satisfied with the speed of my monitor, I play only FPS and i find it adequate however i usually play slower paced tactical shooters although the odd the bit of COD2 never hurt it.
I wouldnt go with the 20WGX2 instead of my 2090 becuase i love the extra viewing area the 4:3 has to offer, i have tried the 20inch widescreens before and i dont like them, the only reason i reccomended it is becuase its faster.
I dont use Vsync so that is why you can see the odd bit of image tare. Remember the panel runs at 1600 x 1200 @ 60hz max.

I would reccomend the 2090 highly over the 2080, mostly becuase it has the colorcomp feature. Oh and it has a blue light ;)
Let me know what you decide to buy, if you do go with either monitor i would be intrested in your opinion of it :)

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
If the screen size does not put you off, then i would go for the 20WGX2, if you like the 1680 x 1050 resolution and the shorter screen size then i wouldnt reccomend anything else. The 2080 & 2090 are both photographer monitors, while they can game with reasonable results, the 20WGX2 will thrash them both by quite a margin. As i said, its only the screen size that bothered me personally, if it doesnt put you off then i would strongly reccomend skipping the 2080 unless you have to have 4:3.

Anyway to sum it up, the 2080 has problems with displaying pure white background, expect some yellowness to one side. I found this more noticable in the 93k colour mode. Using 65k (RGB) it was much much better and hardly noticable. The image persistance still exists on both models when it gets hot, so set a screen saver to kick in after 5 minutes or by a fan to blow on the top, awkward i know but i dont know any other way. Both the 2080 and 2090 have identical image quality although the 2090 seems to deepen the primary colours better (they seem a little darker and more saturated). Even so the picture quality is more than excellent.

What ever monitor you decide, aslong as you buy form a respectable retailer, you should be able to return it with in 2 weeks or so if you decide you dont like it.
Keep me posted on what you decide and your opinion of it.

Low Radiation

Aug 15, 2006
thanx again, but this is a some kind of compensation, so there's no returning. i'll have to live with what i chose...

20wgx2 would be an easy choise, only if there werent that extremely high brightness that scares me...

your monitor is certainly very,very pleasant to look at, and i just can't swear that's the case with 20wgx2 (i haent seen it).

The moment i get one, i'll keep you posted. but first i had to decide. Tomorrow is the d-day :)

twelve hours till decision :)

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
For some reason i have a feeling you will choose the 2080. Anyway the 20WGX2's high brightness can be ajusted and toned down if its too much for you so dont let that worry you. Even so the 2080 and 2090 have a very nice feel to them, i love the chunky square industrial design, especially when looking at it from the side. NEC monitors are exceptionally well built and dont skimp on quality. Same goes for the 20WXG2, have a look at some of these pics;
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3208

I dont want to sound biased towards either monitor becuase it does boil down to personal preferance, i just hope i gave you insight into either. Well what ever you decide i wish you luck with your choice.

Low Radiation

Aug 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Dkcode
I love the chunky square industrial design, especially when looking at it from the side. NEC monitors are exceptionally well built and dont skimp on quality. Same goes for the 20WXG2,

That chunky square industrial design is the best in the world for me :) Other things can look like toys in comparison with this! I'm so glad you said that :)

About brightness, i know it can be turned down, of course, but will picture quality be as i expect? If i knew that, i'd definitely go for 20wgx2....

And for the end, if you were choosing today, you would choose ___________? :)

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
Yeah image quality should be as expected, to be honest i use 75% brightness on my 2090 instead of the 100% default. As you can see from the videos its looks pretty good.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Low Radiation
Originally posted by: Dkcode
I love the chunky square industrial design, especially when looking at it from the side. NEC monitors are exceptionally well built and dont skimp on quality. Same goes for the 20WXG2,

That chunky square industrial design is the best in the world for me :) Other things can look like toys in comparison with this! I'm so glad you said that :)

About brightness, i know it can be turned down, of course, but will picture quality be as i expect? If i knew that, i'd definitely go for 20wgx2....

And for the end, if you were choosing today, you would choose ___________? :)

As i said in my earlier posts, i dont like space the 20" widescreens have to offer. If they used the same technology in a 20" 4:3 format i would choose that. Well for me personally.
If i was building for a friend that wasnt bothered about the screen space then i would buy him a 20WGX2 without doubt. :)

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Low Radiation

Hehe yeah, so its not just me that hates the asian style roundedness, square edges just make it look so much more solid.