Nearly 27% of inmates in LDOC custody were held past release dates: DOJ

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I think there's certainly civil damages you could go after. Lost wages for example

You have to have a valid theory of liability first. Showing damages is not enough. Suing government entities has limitations and for this sort of thing, there generally needs to be a statute authorizing such action. There may not be such a statute in this case. My guess being that keeping people past their sentence is not something often done. People always think about wrongful convictions but rarely consider this type of situation.

Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Dude… I smell a business opportunity here…
Better Call...Paul?
As a reminder if they fix this problem then there will be fewer inmates available for forced labor. This is a feature not a bug in that shit hole state.
So who made $$$ on the extended stays?
I suspect those parishes who have been holding people over for extra money from the state were aware of there being no civil remedy, and took advantage of that fact.
Yeah, I couldn't tell you how often the reporting is done, but I believe that the jails typically get funding for the number of inmates being housed. So it isn't just the labor they're trying to keep, it's the cash.

Rebel_L

Nov 9, 2009
You have to have a valid theory of liability first. Showing damages is not enough. Suing government entities has limitations and for this sort of thing, there generally needs to be a statute authorizing such action. There may not be such a statute in this case. My guess being that keeping people past their sentence is not something often done. People always think about wrongful convictions but rarely consider this type of situation.

Would that be something one could get around in a case like this by suing the private prison instead of the govt or does that create too big a burden of proof on the plaintive to show the prison has enough culpability.

It does seem odd to me that you cant sue the govt without them allowing it first, I would have though it would be the kind of thing where a neutral third party like a judge should decide if you have a good reason to sue the govt.

The whole situation makes me cringe inside in a way I cant really describe, ex cons already get a pretty automatic crap life, but this seems like the kind of neglect that is truly disturbing.