Nearly 27% of inmates in LDOC custody were held past release dates: DOJ

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

The Justice Department said in a report that between January and April 2022, 26.8% of the people, or 1,108 people, released from LDOC’s custody were held past their release dates. 24% of the people were held for over 90 days past their release dates, and the median number of days over detained was 29, the report added. There were nearly 4,200 people in custody overall.

"LDOC is deliberately indifferent to the systemic over detention of people in its custody," the Justice Department said.

"In just this four-month period, LDOC had to pay parish jails an estimated $850,000, at a minimum, in fees for the days those individuals were incarcerated beyond their lawful sentences. At that rate, this unconstitutional practice costs Louisiana over $2.5 million a year," a release from the Justice Department says.

The DOJ said that LDOC has been on notice of the problem for 10 years but has done nothing to fix it.

Why is anyone really surprised by any of this?

And the notion of this "costing" Lousy-ana DOC anything is a joke...it's a wealth redistribution scheme. Keep inmates beyond release date, send "fees" to parish jails affected. And where do these "fees" come from? Well, in my own little conspiracy illusions about this, I can see welfare payments from the feds being used to pay the fees, no actual cost to Lousy-ana except to deny the poor of anything in another way.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Wouldnt you be able to sue their asses off for unlawful incarceration?

For you and I? You better believe it. (Even in a La courtroom!)

Except I PROMISE you the people victimized by this will NEVER be folks like me and you who would "lawyer-up" in a flash and bend the state right over with NO grease or "reach-around" in sight.

Finding a shark-lawyer to take one of these "slam-dunk" payout cases would take me about eight seconds if I took my time!

It's poor, uneducated black people (etc) who don't know any better that these bastages take advantage of.

:(

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
In theory, yes. But as pointed out, that costs money or resources to find a lawyer. It also turns out that the deck is stacked in many ways against people that have been incarcerated when it comes to lawsuits against the state.
I just imagined that they’d get a call from Saul, free of charge or 50%… but thats not a thing I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I just imagined that they’d get a call from Saul, free of charge or 50%… but thats not a thing I guess.

In most case you would need to call him but otherwise spot-on! :D

Lawyers get a % of any potential payout in liability-cases in the US so for obvious reasons if you have a solid case (like ANY case of illegal incarceration for example) finding a real rat-bastage shark to take your case with no "out of pocket" expense would be child's-play IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO LOOK.

And that is the crux of the biscuit here. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi and cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
In most case you would need to call him but otherwise spot-on! :D

Lawyers get a % of any potential payout in liability-cases in the US so for obvious reasons if you have a solid case (like ANY case of illegal incarceration for example) finding a real rat-bastage shark to take your case with no "out of pocket" expense would be child's-play IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO LOOK.

And that is the crux of the biscuit here. ;)
Dude… I smell a business opportunity here…

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Dude… I smell a business opportunity here…

We're a bit late to the party I'm afraid! ;)

slip-fall.gif

Last edited:

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
In theory, yes. But as pointed out, that costs money or resources to find a lawyer. It also turns out that the deck is stacked in many ways against people that have been incarcerated when it comes to lawsuits against the state.
I would bet you most of the inmates don't even know they were kept extra days.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Regarding the possibility of lawsuits, virtually all cases of this nature are taken by attorneys on a contingent fee arrangement. The attorneys do not care about the race or socio-economic status of the client. They only care if the case is winnable so they get paid.

The problem, I suspect, is that while Louisiana has a statute for wrongful conviction, which actually specifies a payout between $25K and $250K per year, the statute only applies to a wrongful conviction. I suspect there is no statute for people who are rightly convicted but held past their sentences. There really ought to be, but this practice is not one I've heard of until now. I suspect those parishes who have been holding people over for extra money from the state were aware of there being no civil remedy, and took advantage of that fact.

• Love
Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Regarding the possibility of lawsuits, virtually all cases of this nature are taken by attorneys on a contingent fee arrangement. The attorneys do not care about the race or socio-economic status of the client. They only care if the case is winnable so they get paid.

The problem, I suspect, is that while Louisiana has a statute for wrongful conviction, which actually specifies a payout between $25K and $250K per year, the statute only applies to a wrongful conviction. I suspect there is no statute for people who are rightly convicted but held past their sentences. There really ought to be, but this practice is not one I've heard of until now. I suspect those parishes who have been holding people over for extra money from the state were aware of there being no civil remedy, and took advantage of that fact.

Why isn't holding someone passed their release date a civil rights violation? Couldn't that be the vehicle for collecting monetary damages as well as forcing parish's to agree to reforms?

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I should also mention that, whether or not there can be civil liability, in theory this is the crime of false imprisonment. False imprisonment is like kidnapping but kidnapping requires that the victim be physically moved from one location to another, not minor movements like inside a room but to another location entirely. So false imprisonment means you wrongfully hold them in place without moving them. It's usually a low grade felony. Keeping someone in jail when you no longer have legal authority or justification to do so fits squarely within this crime.

I fail to see why this does not apply here, if it can be proven that they knowingly did it, rather than it being some kind of administrative error. Police have occasionally been prosecuted for false imprisonment. However, I wouldn't hold my breath here that any prosecution will be attempted as I'm sure these jails will just claim it was a massive screwup and even though it's bullshit it will be enough to create reasonable doubt.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Why isn't holding someone passed their release date a civil rights violation? Couldn't that be the vehicle for collecting monetary damages as well as forcing parish's to agree to reforms?

Not sure if it fits within civil rights statutes. I honestly do not know. However, since the media has not mentioned any lawsuits, I suspect that means there are none. But if there is any opportunity for lawyers to make money, there are always always always lawsuits. So if there's no lawsuits, it probably means there is no grounds for civil liability.

OTOH maybe there actually are lawsuits but the news stories just haven't reported on them.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Make a federal law that says any prisoners who has served their time shall be released by noon on their release date . Any prison or jail who fails to comply will pay the prisoner the state’s minimum hourly wage for every hour they have not been released and the prisoners lawyer

Lawyers will be all over that

• Love

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Make a federal law that says any prisoners who has served their time shall be released by noon on their release date . Any prison or jail who fails to comply will pay the prisoner the state’s minimum hourly wage for every hour they have not been released and the prisoners lawyer

Lawyers will be all over that
Not only that, but:

1)Unlawful detainment MUST be compensated. Basically, put states on the hook from a federal standpoint for throwing people in jail with paper thin evidence.

2) prisoners who have completed their sentences receive help re-integrating with society.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Not sure if it fits within civil rights statutes. I honestly do not know. However, since the media has not mentioned any lawsuits, I suspect that means there are none. But if there is any opportunity for lawyers to make money, there are always always always lawsuits. So if there's no lawsuits, it probably means there is no grounds for civil liability.

OTOH maybe there actually are lawsuits but the news stories just haven't reported on them.
I think there's certainly civil damages you could go after. Lost wages for example