NCIX "free" shipping

TWG1572

Dec 31, 2012
Not sure where put this, so I'll start in OT. Am I the only guy that finds that items that are advertised as "free shipping" on the NCIX site mysteriously end up with shipping charges when you get to checkout?

I've tried several of their specials over the last couple weeks, and all ended up with $11 in shipping tacked on. If I go out today and try the FX 8350 special, it clearly says free shipping but shipping costs get added in to my cart.

Is there a promo code I'm missing? Or something in the fine print?

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Usually you have to have $50 worth of stuff or something like that. Probably some fine print somewhere. Could also be something related to crossing the border if applicable.

TWG1572

Dec 31, 2012
Have you tried contacting them?

I have. I used their email form this morning and got an auto-reply that it would take 1-2 days for them to respond. I may try calling once they open. Or I may just see if Amazon will match.

I was just hoping someone might have a solution in the interim.

TWG1572

Dec 31, 2012
Usually you have to have $50 worth of stuff or something like that. Probably some fine print somewhere. Could also be something related to crossing the border if applicable.

The orders I tried were around $300 and $200, I did see that fine print. It could be a border thing, but they showed inventory in their US warehouses. I'd assume that's where they ship from.

IIRC, I thought I saw something in the fine print about free shipping only good for metro areas. I'd assume Madison, WI would qualify but maybe not.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
An available shipping method is free, but that shipping method is not the default selection. You have to change the shipping method during checkout.

Online retailers have done this for like 10 years.

[edit]
I don't recall if NCIX did that the last time I ordered from there, but it's a really common practice.

Last edited:

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
An available shipping method is free, but that shipping method is not the default. You have to change the shipping method during checkout.

I'm not wasting my time trying to prove it, but this answer sounds spot on if I had to guess.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
An available shipping method is free, but that shipping method is not the default. You have to change the shipping method during checkout.

Pretty sure that's the case.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
NCIX has their normal site and a US site. There is a little flag at the bottom of the page you need to click for the US site. Perhaps there is a difference in shipping costs?

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
An available shipping method is free, but that shipping method is not the default selection. You have to change the shipping method during checkout.

[edit]
I don't recall if NCIX did that the last time I ordered from there, but it's a really common practice.

This sounds very familiar.

TWG1572

Dec 31, 2012

Yeah, I'm aware of this and can usually ferret out how to get the free shipping. But in this case, I'm drawing a blank. If I add today's special in my cart, these are the only options I get. I dunno. I'll try calling when they open.

Untitled.png

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Yeah, I'm aware of this and can usually ferret out how to get the free shipping. But in this case, I'm drawing a blank. If I add today's special in my cart, these are the only options I get. I dunno. I'll try calling when they open.

Untitled.png

Wow they take that long to ship ?

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Are you located in the US or Canada? Are you using NCIX.com (Canada) or NCIXUS.com (US)?

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Are you going all the way to the confirmation page? Maybe they credit it back at the end...or you are getting a special cpu that weighs more than 25 pounds.

TWG1572

Dec 31, 2012
Are you located in the US or Canada? Are you using NCIX.com (Canada) or NCIXUS.com (US)?

I'm in the US, I'm on the NCIXUS.com site, and they show inventory in the US.

Are you going all the way to the confirmation page? Maybe they credit it back at the end...or you are getting a special cpu that weighs more than 25 pounds.

I make it all the way to the "place your order" button after entering all my credit card information. It still shows the shipping of $11 in the final total, but what if find entertaining is that they highlight the "free shipping!" in the item description. See below.

This has happened to me with a couple different orders, and it seems like it works for other people so evidently I'm doing something wrong. It just annoys me that I can't figure it out.

Untitled.png

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Wow 149 for an 8350. Not bad. CDN price is $223. I think I paid about $200 CDN for mine a few years ago.

But on topic. I just tried to add this to cart and follow the same thing you did. Works with free shipping for me. I'm in Canada and was on the .ca site.

Is it something weird, like an APO or Hawaii or Alaska or some other weird thing about your location?

TWG1572

Dec 31, 2012
Is it something weird, like an APO or Hawaii or Alaska or some other weird thing about your location?

Madison, WI - We like to think of ourselves as "weird" but in a good way. :) Other than that, it's a standard street address.

I might just try going through as a guest and seeing what happens. Maybe it's something with my account.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Seems the item page contradicts itself. Says free shipping, and this item does not qualify for promotional shipping offers.

TWG1572

Dec 31, 2012
NCIX just opened, so I gave them a call. Evidently this sort of thing happens sometimes and you just need to place the order, then call in and they will remove the shipping.

It's definitly worth double checking your final invoice, I'm sure more than a few people have had this happen to them and not notice.