NCAA Basketball vs NBA. NBA seems a lot more ETHNIC than NCAA as far as fans.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
NBA seems to market a lot more to the "ghetto" than the NCAA. does anyone else feel this way?? and if so, does anyone else think this is a mistake on the part of the NBA.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Disregarding the whole ethnicity thing...

The NBA blows serious ass. The NCAA doesn't.

*End of thread*

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: bradruth

*End of thread*

i dont' think you can disregard the "ethnic" thing. in my opinion the way they market the NBA MAKES it an "ethnic" thing and that's why soo many people are turned off to the NBA.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

*End of thread*

i dont' think you can disregard the "ethnic" thing. in my opinion the way they market the NBA MAKES it an "ethnic" thing and that's why soo many people are turned off to the NBA.

I'm turned off to the NBA because the players lack heart and everything is about the money. The college atmosphere is tremendous, and the players still have a love of the game.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000

*End of thread*

I'm turned off to the NBA because the players lack heart and everything is about the money. The college atmosphere is tremendous, and the players still have a love of the game.

how is that different from the MLB or NFL?? both are MUCH more money oriented than the college counterparts and yet the pro sports are more popular.

no, i think the ethnic factor is more significant than the money factor.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
how is that different from the MLB or NFL?? both are MUCH more money oriented than the college counterparts and yet the pro sports are more popular.

But college baseball/football sucks. College basketball is good. :D

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000

But college baseball/football sucks. College basketball is good. :D

hehehehe

your opinion obviously. college baseball DOES suck as the best players are drafted out of high school. but college football is VERY VERY good. a close second to college basketball.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
hehehehe

your opinion obviously. college baseball DOES suck as the best players are drafted out of high school. but college football is VERY VERY good. a close second to college basketball.

I don't watch a lot of sports these days, so I should probably back out of here and let someone with some perspective discuss. I'll leave you with this...

"Do you believe in the ladder to heaven?"

"If by heaven you mean an 8-year old boy and by ladder my pen..."

Ah, South Park. ;)

Kilrsat

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2001

*End of thread*

I think different style of play makes the NBA less popular. The rule changes, the fact that the game seems to be nothing more than dunks and three-pointers, etc.

Look at the college game and you see players hustling on every play, passing the ball more often, and most importantly, attempting to play defense. The college game is closer to real basketball than the NBA, and that's why its losing fans.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
It seems more 'ethnic' because the hip-hop/rap culture permeates its way through the entire league. The NCAA seems less so because of the diversity of 100+ college teams plus college coaches have a lot more control over their players than in the NBA.

The NBA does suck though. Too many disinterested rich players with no heart or desire. I tired a long time ago of teams walking the ball up and down the floor to set up a two man game on the other end.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
college baseball sucks because baseball players take years to develop to the MLB level. the minor league farm system is very important in MLB.

there is nothing like that for football and basketball, therefore the college game becomes the farm system for those leagues, and all the best young players play college football and basketball.

i really hate the nba anymore. it has just gotten ungodly boring after i've seen all the great finishes in college games this year. the fans are so into the game and it just makes it 10x more enjoyable. the nba players lack passion for the game - just look at the most popular nba, allen, "we talkin bout practice" iverson. that child is a cancer to the sixers. i f'ing hate him and wish we'd just trade him for a used jock strap or something.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy
It seems more 'ethnic' because the hip-hop/rap culture permeates its way through the entire league. The NCAA seems less so because of the diversity of 100+ college teams plus college coaches have a lot more control over their players than in the NBA.

The NBA does suck though. Too many disinterested rich players with no heart or desire. I tired a long time ago of teams walking the ball up and down the floor to set up a two man game on the other end.

also, the coaches in the nba have no control over their players. there is no discipline, no respect, and the league is plagued with thugs. i'm sick of it.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Queasy

i hate to admit it but i have lost a LOT of interest in the NBA over the last 5 yrs. something i would NEVER have been willing to admit because i was still so enthralled by BBall in the '80's. Magic, Bird, Doc and even MJ will always have a very special place in my sports viewing history.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

i hate to admit it but i have lost a LOT of interest in the NBA over the last 5 yrs. something i would NEVER have been willing to admit because i was still so enthralled by BBall in the '80's. Magic, Bird, Doc and even MJ will always have a very special place in my sports viewing history.
I've lost some interest in the NBA since the 90s. In my opinion, a really interesting facet of the NBA is watching a team like Memphis. The Grizzlies are enjoying their first winning season ever under 70 year-old coach Hubie Brown. They don't really have any superstars and old Coach Brown plays a ten-man rotation. Not bad for a supposedly "retired" TV talking head. Got to hand it to old Coach Brown. He coaches the game like he analyzed it.

And yeah, the college game rocks!

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: SweetSweetLeroyBrown
so are you saying that "ethnic" = "ghetto"?

nice

no, i'm saying "ghetto" is an example of "ethnic".

rolleye.gif