NC kicks more than 15,000 blind, disabled or elderly off Medicaid

Oct 16, 1999
http://www.wral.com/senate-approves-21-1b-spending-plan/13689351/
Aside from the SBI move, cuts to Medicaid and education drew the most debate.

The Senate budget ends Medicaid coverage or eligibility for more than 15,000 blind, disabled or elderly people, cutting the state's support for the program by about $32 million.

Sen. Ralph Hise, R-Madison, said North Carolina's Medicaid program has traditionally exceeded federal requirements, leading to the state spending $2 billion more than necessary since 2011. The budget only scales back the program to the minimum federal standards, he said, adding that the people who were being dropped from Medicaid could apply for subsidized insurance under the Affordable Care Act.

Sen. Floyd McKissick, D-Durham, said those affected were too poor to qualify for federal subsidies, and he offered an amendment that would expand Medicaid in North Carolina as allowed under the Affordable Care Act.

"We should not be putting gaping holes in the safety net" for vulnerable North Carolinians, McKissick said. "We need to shore it up."

Sen. Harry Brown, R-Onslow, countered that North Carolina can't afford to expand Medicaid, which routinely chews up any extra money in the state budget.

"When is enough enough?" Brown asked. "When is it time to put money on other priorities in the state?"

That's right, enough's enough. Priorities! 'Murica!!1

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
misleading fear mongering headline.

They are setting the healthcare requirements to align with the federal government. By that standard Obama is kicking off whatever thug at the heart group you want to target these days.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
misleading fear mongering headline.

They are setting the healthcare requirements to align with the federal government. By that standard Obama is kicking off whatever thug at the heart group you want to target these days.

Wrong as usual. The state has chosen to not expand Medicare and the GOP in NC is making the push to kick these people off the current system not Obama.

BTW what is a "thug at the heart group"? Are you calling blind people thugs? :)

Oct 16, 1999
Wait, what?

If you make less than 133% of the federal poverty level you don't get ACA subsidies even if you don't qualify for Medicaid in your state. The Medicaid expansion under the ACA was supposed to cover people who fell into this area, but if your state hasn't opted into the expansion (as NC has not) then there you are, too rich for Medicaid, too poor for a subsidy.

Last edited:

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
These people do not qualify for subsidies. The subsidies have minimum income, those who are at the poverty level or below get 0 in subsidies. These most vulnerable will have no insurance

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
that is a good idea imo because private charity would take care of poor people fine in a free society. medicaid does nothing but steal and recycle waste (e.g., patents generally increase the cost of medicine)

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Wrong as usual. The state has chosen to not expand Medicare and the GOP in NC is making the push to kick these people off the current system not Obama.

BTW what is a "thug at the heart group"? Are you calling blind people thugs? :)

sorry meant tug.

The state chose to meat the federal requirements for Medicaid. If you think the requirements are wrong have Obama fix them.

To list out 'blind, disabled, elderly' on the list is nothing more then fear mongering/playing on people's emotions.

The new doesn't say 'blind disabled, elderly' people are no longer allowed on Medicaid does it? It just says that if you make so much in income you no longer qualify.

So yes continue on your blind rage.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If you make less than 133% of the federal poverty level you don't get ACA subsidies even if you don't qualify for Medicaid in your state. The Medicaid expansion under the ACA was supposed to cover people who fell into this area, but if your state hasn't opted into the expansion (as NC has not) then there you are, too rich for Medicaid, too poor for a subsidy.

Of course. Thank you, Chief Justice Roberts for enabling right wing fuckover artists.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Of course. Thank you, Chief Justice Roberts for enabling right wing fuckover artists.

how is this Roberts fault?

You on the left are serious nut cases. This was a bill the democrats passed. And a democrat signed. If theres a problem with it, the democrats own it.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
how is this Roberts fault?

You on the left are serious nut cases. This was a bill the democrats passed. And a democrat signed. If theres a problem with it, the democrats own it.
And thank you Dubya for fucking up the Supreme Court while in office.

I'll be looked at later as a good guy my ass.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Need more info:

1. So, NC is adopting the federal standards, how many other states have the same standards? (I know that many in the NE substantially exceed the fed standards.)

2. Precisely how are these people losing Medicaid benefits? Have the monthly income levels been reduced?

3. Are they completely losing Medicaid benefits or will they now be subject to deductibles etc?

Fern

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I was referring to Obamacare. Because you know that's the court Roberts sits on.

Lol! That doesn't really help you! The comment you responded to was about the supreme courts ruling to allow states to opt out of Medicare expansion.

Sorry chump, you are wrong again! ;)

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Lol! That doesn't really help you! The comment you responded to was about the supreme courts ruling to allow states to opt out of Medicare expansion.

Sorry chump, you are wrong again! ;)

Oh yah, though talk from a guy that thought I was talking about NC.

The blame still lays with the people that wrote the law, dems wrote an unconstitutional law, that was the ruling of the courts.

Sorry to burst your partisan bubble.

himkhan

Jul 13, 2013
/ Michal - McOwned mode

OMG!!!!! Freakin (enter outrage target) Thugs!!!!!!
Duuuuuurrrrrrrr Duuurrrrr!!!!!!

Crickets

He won't quote you because he sees you as being on his team.

He only trolls people he sees as on the left team. No matter how many of you echo the sentiments of all people he replys to, he just ignores your posts all together. You could call his ma a nasty name and he'd give you a free pass. Pure troll proof positive.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Need more info:

1. So, NC is adopting the federal standards, how many other states have the same standards? (I know that many in the NE substantially exceed the fed standards.)

2. Precisely how are these people losing Medicaid benefits? Have the monthly income levels been reduced?

3. Are they completely losing Medicaid benefits or will they now be subject to deductibles etc?

Fern

They are well below the federal standard. The new federal standard is everyone who is at 130% of poverty, they have refused to do this, even though it comes at no cost.

Yes these people who are unable to work are losing their health insurance. The most vulnerable are being kicked down by the republicans.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
They are well below the federal standard. The new federal standard is everyone who is at 130% of poverty, they have refused to do this, even though it comes at no cost.

Yes these people who are unable to work are losing their health insurance. The most vulnerable are being kicked down by the republicans.

Wait can you explain this better to me- honestly I know nothing about Medicare? So subsidies only start at certain income levels and everyone below (i.e. poverty) are supposed to get 'free' Medicare? So why can't they get it directly from the fed government? Is it through the state who then gets funding/payment from the fed?

So the state won't let these people on poverty get Medicare coverage through them even though the Fed would pay for it?

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wait can you explain this better to me- honestly I know nothing about Medicare? So subsidies only start at certain income levels and everyone below (i.e. poverty) are supposed to get 'free' Medicare? So why can't they get it directly from the fed government? Is it through the state who then gets funding/payment from the fed?

So the state won't let these people on poverty get Medicare coverage through them even though the Fed would pay for it?

It's Medicaid and yes, that's correct. The way I understand it, the states refused the federally funded Medicaid expansion and because of that (and the ACA subsidy limits), they are not providing the expanded coverage as directed by the ACA (again, the way I understand it but I could be wrong).