NBC doctors a Romney Video

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
NBC is taking heat again for selective editing a day after presenting video of Mitt Romney seemingly awestruck by the process of ordering a sandwich at a convenience store.
During an afternoon broadcast of "Andrea Mitchell Reports," video of the GOP presidential candidate seemed to show a politician out of touch as he discussed ordering a hoagie at Wawa.

The video clip went viral after the blogsite SooperMexican.com
external-link.png
pointed out in a post that it appeared doctored.
“It’s amazing," Romney said, as the Pennsylvania crowd appeared to laugh. Then viewers saw Romney say, "You have a touchtone keypad, and you touch that, touch this, go pay the cashier, there’s your sandwich.”
What viewers didn't see or hear was nearly three minutes of Romney discussing the nightmare of paperwork faced by an optometrist he'd talked to in trying to get the post office to change his address. He expressed mock amazement at Wawa's efficiency to underscore how the private sector often runs circles around the clumsy bureaucracy.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ortrays-candidate-as-out-touch/#ixzz1yHya3Kee

OOPS! BUSTED NBC!

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

This is effectively what they did. They removed a large chunk of what he said to make it appear to be something else.

Note that I am merely editing your quote so you understand what they did. I hope that applying their tactics to you aids you in understanding why it is wrong of them.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Uh.. wut?

two wrongs = right. gotcha

They did him a favor. If they'd reported the truth and called him on his blatant lie he'd have looked far worse than making him seem slightly out of touch. I do find it amusing that Fox News is calling another network on what is one of their favorite tactics. I don't expect much from the press anymore which is why I can't fault them. If media figures had standards in this country, cable news wouldn't exist, talk radio wouldn't exist.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
They did him a favor. If they'd reported the truth and called him on his blatant lie he'd have looked far worse than making him seem slightly out of touch. I do find it amusing that Fox News is calling another network on what is one of their favorite tactics. I don't expect much from the press anymore which is why I can't fault them. If media figures had standards in this country, cable news wouldn't exist, talk radio wouldn't exist.
I was going to say nice spin and then I caught myself and realized that it's not nice - it's pathetic.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
the obama's willing accomplices are notorious for this. But more and more they are getting caught and set up. Give the obama crowd a chance to step in the shit and they will do it every time.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
LOL. But wait, aren't facts supposed to have a left wing bias according to a couple morons on this forum? Why the does the left have to lie?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Yes, they should have shown the full clip, then pointed out that USPS.com has an online web form for a change of address that takes a minute to fill out and is good for a year of first class mail forwarding. I used it last year and it worked perfectly.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
They could have done that to discredit him, but instead they doctored a video.

Yep, they failed as journalists in two different ways:
- editing a clip to change its meaning
- failing ti challenge a candidate's factually wrong and probably made-up anecdote.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
lol if it funny if Fox had done this the thread would be 100 post in.

they were wrong. they screwed the pooch. they had him on something they could have nailed him one easy. instead they tried to doctor it and make him look worse. now its out and they look like idiots.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
lol if it funny if Fox had done this the thread would be 100 post in.

they were wrong. they screwed the pooch. they had him on something they could have nailed him one easy. instead they tried to doctor it and make him look worse. now its out and they look like idiots.

Fox does it so often people just stop noticing. If we made a thread for every time Fox did it, this forum would be 50% "Fox doctors clip" threads. So, NBC tried something that works well for their competitors and got called on it by that competitor. I can't fault them because it's such a common thing now it barely registers. Guess NBC needs to realize that unlike Fox, their audience doesn't want to be lied to.

Hopefully a more honest news organization will actually call Romney on his obviously made up bullshit story that is 100% factually incorrect.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Fox does it so often people just stop noticing. If we made a thread for every time Fox did it, this forum would be 50% "Fox doctors clip" threads. So, NBC tried something that works well for their competitors and got called on it by that competitor. I can't fault them because it's such a common thing now it barely registers. Guess NBC needs to realize that unlike Fox, their audience doesn't want to be lied to.

Hopefully a more honest news organization will actually call Romney on his obviously made up bullshit story that is 100% factually incorrect.

Deflection, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Yes, they should have shown the full clip, then pointed out that USPS.com has an online web form for a change of address that takes a minute to fill out and is good for a year of first class mail forwarding. I used it last year and it worked perfectly.

I don't think you saw the video. This was not a simple USPS ordeal.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Guess NBC needs to realize that unlike Fox, their audience doesn't want to be lied to.

NBC went for a slightly out of touch Romney when they could've got him for either exag*cough*ly*cough*ing*cough*gerating or being uninformed.

Let the mud throwing begin.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
SOP for the media. They've picked a horse in the race, and this is how they'll back him.

You mean like the extensive Fox News article talking about a GOP ad when Obama said "if we talk about the economy we lose" but Obama was actually quoting John McCain. Oh that's right they didn't do that story.

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002
faux outrage...or please put both fox and nbc examples.

This is the state of the media whether it be nbc or fox...or you name it.

Sad that people blindly believe most of what they are spoon fed on the tv\newspaper\internet and at the same time where else do we look for news\information.

Last edited:

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You mean like the extensive Fox News article talking about a GOP ad when Obama said "if we talk about the economy we lose" but Obama was actually quoting John McCain. Oh that's right they didn't do that story.

Hey, I don't think Fox is any better. Fox clearly backs one candidate, the rest of the media backs the other.