NBA "owner" Controversy

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
One does not have to dehumanize someone they disagree with to be harshly critical of their position.
It's not Slow's position, per se, it's his methods, which include half truths, untruths, misrepresentation of the unarguable facts, etc. These are not isolated incidents. It suffuses just about every post he makes. He is dishonest. He brings nothing of substance to the table. Nothing. Really. That is not an exaggeration, it is a sad fact. He is an adult who clutters our forum with thoroughly dishonest bullshit. His methods are deserving of our contempt.

There is a battle for the very existence of our liberal democracy, which those on the left are currently losing to an amoral charlatan who nevertheless has a significant portion of the electorate in his thrall and the supposedly more responsible members of his party thoroughly cowed into quisling cowardice.

This poster clutters our forum with arrant dishonesty in support of Trump's existential threat to the basic values and norms I grew up believing were the bedrock of my country.

Murder is a sin against humanity, yet we just celebrated the thousands of young Americans who gave their lives landing on the beaches of Normandy determined to murder every single uniformed German who opposed to them.

Would you have had them do otherwise?

Liberals have long tried to be inclusive, with empathy, for everyone. The results have been Nixon, Reagan, Bush, and now Trump.

The only way for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

As a poster, I will not go easy on Slow.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Oh my gawd the theatrics of that. You sound like you’re about to storm off a Higgins boat yourself lol

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
You clearly do care, you made a post dedicated to whining about it.

You’re going to have a tough time in life if you get triggered by something as small as a business owner changing their title. Take a step back and think about how crazy that is. Why do you give a single, solitary shit?
Actually, I think it is extremely stupid, and counter-productive. This is the kind of meaningless, absurd political correctness that helped turn a lot of voters to trump.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Actually, I think it is extremely stupid, and counter-productive. This is the kind of meaningless, absurd political correctness that helped turn a lot of voters to trump.

One thing I’m really looking forward to in the post-Trump era will be that we will no longer have to hear ‘not adhering to my personal preferences is how you got Trump’. I would love to meet the person though who says ‘I was totally going to vote for Clinton but then I heard basketball owners were changing their titles. That’s the day I got on the Trump Train.’

This is the world’s dumbest thing to be outraged about. Honestly if you can come up with something that’s stupider to be mad about than what title a business owner gives himself I’m open to suggestions as I’m drawing a blank.

Edit: if anything polls consistently show views moving to the left TOWARDS the politically correct position. The idea that people are being pushed right by it is nonsense.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
One thing I’m really looking forward to in the post-Trump era will be that we will no longer have to hear ‘not adhering to my personal preferences is how you got Trump’. I would love to meet the person though who says ‘I was totally going to vote for Clinton but then I heard basketball owners were changing their titles. That’s the day I got on the Trump Train.’

This is the world’s dumbest thing to be outraged about. Honestly if you can come up with something that’s stupider to be mad about than what title a business owner gives himself I’m open to suggestions as I’m drawing a blank.

Edit: if anything polls consistently show views moving to the left TOWARDS the politically correct position. The idea that people are being pushed right by it is nonsense.

So you are saying Trump's base are logical and cant be riled up by stupid anti-liberal rantings? OK then.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Yes, let's keep up with the "People voted for Trump because they were tired of being told to be more human and empathetic to others" trope.

That one is a real winner. How about this: I don't give a flying fuck about the feels of such scum people if "being complete jerks" is the most important issue in their lives.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001

You won't. This isn't some straw that breaks the camels back. But it is another straw though. The insanity of PC culture coupled with the lefts newfound love of racism turns lots of sensible / well meaning people off.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You won't. This isn't some straw that breaks the camels back. But it is another straw though. The insanity of PC culture coupled with the lefts newfound love of racism turns lots of sensible / well meaning people off.

Apparently it does not, considering the US continues to move more and more towards liberals’ position on race as time goes by.

Also, the whole idea that people trying to compensate for racism is the real racism gets no purchase with anyone outside of the extreme, extreme right. It’s rich that you would try and accuse anyone of racism when you voted for someone who came right out and said that he would ban all Muslims from entering the United States. You clearly don’t mind racism, so why pretend otherwise?

I mean think how silly your argument is. ‘The left supports affirmative action and I think that’s discrimination. I know, I’ll vote for the Muslim ban guy who said a judge can’t rule in his case because he’s a Mexican.’

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The more likely answer is that as America as a whole moves left on race people who were once in the center are now on the right. They didn’t change their views or decide to vote for a virulent racist because other people were mean to them, they just fall on the conservative side of things now due to how the distribution is.

There’s no changing these people, they will just be left behind.

Reactions: esquared

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Apparently it does not, considering the US continues to move more and more towards liberals’ position on race as time goes by.

Also, the whole idea that people trying to compensate for racism is the real racism gets no purchase with anyone outside of the extreme, extreme right. It’s rich that you would try and accuse anyone of racism when you voted for someone who came right out and said that he would ban all Muslims from entering the United States. You clearly don’t mind racism, so why pretend otherwise?

I mean think how silly your argument is. ‘The left supports affirmative action and I think that’s discrimination. I know, I’ll vote for the Muslim ban guy who said a judge can’t rule in his case because he’s a Mexican.’

I don't know about that. The powers that be may be moving toward a more liberal position, but the US as a whole hasn't. The position of the left has to become the thing they hated, they are promoting racism and judging people solely by skin color and it's turning a lot of America off. You'll have very out of touch enclaves that push it, but they aren't representative of the country as a whole. I do mind racism. The remark on the judge was very racist. As is many of the comments made on this very forum by our left leaning members. It's become acceptable and encouraged to judge people solely by skin color. Wonderful, that's what I call progress.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I don't know about that. The powers that be may be moving toward a more liberal position, but the US as a whole hasn't.

Polls disagree with you.

awokening_chart1_equality.jpg

The position of the left has to become the thing they hated, they are promoting racism and judging people solely by skin color and it's turning a lot of America off. You'll have very out of touch enclaves that push it, but they aren't representative of the country as a whole.

I think you're projecting. YOU don't like how the country is moving forward on race but the rest of the country is moving more towards the liberal position. Acknowledging racism exists and trying to compensate for it isn't racism, it's the opposite of racism. Like I said the extreme right keeps pushing this but it's failing.

I do mind racism. The remark on the judge was very racist. As is many of the comments made on this very forum by our left leaning members. It's become acceptable and encouraged to judge people solely by skin color. Wonderful, that's what I call progress.

You apparently don't mind racism enough not to vote for a racist, haha. I mean you literally went into the voting booth knowing full well the guy said all Muslims should be banned from entering the US. Not just said it, made a whole big written press release about it. Then you voted for him.

What you don't get is that Trump's racism is a FEATURE for his supporters, not something they reluctantly tolerate. As America moves further and further towards liberal positions on race they feel marginalized and left behind because they're losing their favored place in the racial hierarchy. They want it back.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Yes, let's keep up with the "People voted for Trump because they were tired of being told to be more human and empathetic to others" trope.

That one is a real winner. How about this: I don't give a flying fuck about the feels of such scum people if "being complete jerks" is the most important issue in their lives.
Maybe you should because they helped elect Trump.

Nov 25, 2013
I don't know about that. The powers that be may be moving toward a more liberal position, but the US as a whole hasn't. The position of the left has to become the thing they hated, they are promoting racism and judging people solely by skin color and it's turning a lot of America off. You'll have very out of touch enclaves that push it, but they aren't representative of the country as a whole. I do mind racism. The remark on the judge was very racist. As is many of the comments made on this very forum by our left leaning members. It's become acceptable and encouraged to judge people solely by skin color. Wonderful, that's what I call progress.

Oh look, a steaming pile of fresh horse droppings.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Oh my gawd the theatrics of that. You sound like you’re about to storm off a Higgins boat yourself lol

It's too bad that you don't have the capability to express yourself as eloquently and succinctly as Perknose does, Ugly. You might begin to understand where he is coming from instead of just being a dismissive racist asshole. People can be passionate about good things for others and for our country.

What do you bring to the table? Absolutely nothing that's good, that's for damned sure.

Reactions: Victorian Gray

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The insanity of PC culture coupled with the lefts newfound love of racism turns lots of sensible / well meaning people off.

facts assumed and entered without evidence. Maybe get some of that evidence?

As fsky said, the available data shows the exact opposite to be true. but hey, I get it: when has pesky data ever gotten in the way of brainless conservatives?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Maybe you should because they helped elect Trump.

my point is that those are the specific population of those people that are beyong help and deserving of no real concern or attention. It is a waste of time. It isn't everyone that elected Trump--there are quite a few that have long regretted and fled taht position that brought them there.

I'm simply saying that I have no interest in devoting energy to the profoundly obstinate dickballs that never let facts or logic enter their brain spaces. These are the deplorables that Hilary spoke of quite accurately: not all Trump voters, but the specific basket of deplorables that are well beneath reproach. Today I see a difference between Trump voters (2016) and Trump supporters. All Trump supporters are Trump voters, but not all Trump voters remain Trump supporters.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i listen to sports talk radio pretty much all the time and no one has bothered to mention this "controversy." i'm guessing it's just not that important.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
i listen to sports talk radio pretty much all the time and no one has bothered to mention this "controversy." i'm guessing it's just not that important.

It's an issue only for those that are against the owner of a sports franchise choosing to add titles to a complex job instead of just simply being the owner. Being called the Chairman or whatever actually gives a more accurate description of what the job entails with all the meetings and whatnot that go along with operating within a professional sports league.

True sports fans actually understand the concepts behind the thinking of the owners of these pro teams.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Its shit like this that reveals you read the same shitshow as Slow.... "the lefts newfound love of racism turns lots of sensible / well meaning people off" .. and then you walkedaway... amirite? Dumdum.