NBA "owner" Controversy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
We're I in the position to choose the new title, it would be at least a paragraph long.

dyna

Oct 20, 2006
Draymond Green is wrong. Owner is not a racist term, in fact when it comes to companies, ownership implies responsibility which is a rarity these days with all the mismanaged corporations. When a company has an owner, in the majority of cases, they care way more about their employees than an invisible owner such as shareholders etc...

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If memory serves you have been vacationed from here repeatedly for, among other things, having intentionally misleading threads. Is this true?

No, not true. I have been vacationed, but I will not say more as it would be against the rules, and as a guest here I do try to follow them.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'm saying it is the environment the left has created. Because the left only sees minorities as different categories of victims to exploit, we've gone from being reasonably sensitive to racism and bigotry to being so hyper-sensitive that just about everything can be warped into some form of bigotry, it'll be manufactured where there was none. For those of us that simply see each other as equals, it seems rather inane.
BTW - Who owns you?

I'll tell this quick story, not for you because of your predisposition to ignore the scourge of racism.

Years ago I shared an office with an older chinese guy. Just talking one day I told him (at the time) there was a cheesesteak shop in Phila called Ch1nk's Steaks. I found that name offensive and I asked Harvey what he thought. His answer was it didn't bother him. He also told me the name he finds offensive is "Chinaman", which I though was benign.

I don't have the arrogence to be the arbitor of what other people find offensive about the names used for them. I defer to Harvey what he wants to be called and what name(s) he finds offensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
No, not true. I have been vacationed, but I will not say more as it would be against the rules, and as a guest here I do try to follow them.

Hmm. I did a quick search and at a minimum you have been repeatedly sanctioned on here for dishonest or deliberately misleading representations of news or other posters.

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...order-agents-while-illegals-sneak-in.2562498/

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...to-death-released-by-sanctuary-state.2565421/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/florida-high-school-shooting.2537399/page-73#post-39314541

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Draymond Green is wrong. Owner is not a racist term, in fact when it comes to companies, ownership implies responsibility which is a rarity these days with all the mismanaged corporations. When a company has an owner, in the majority of cases, they care way more about their employees than an invisible owner such as shareholders etc...
Why do you get to be the decider of what Draymond Greene finds offensive in a term used about him? Some not so hidden superiority complex? In basketball the players are the product.

If one worked for a car dealership the cars are the product and owner is more appropriate.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
BTW - Who owns you?

I'll tell this quick story, not for you because of your predisposition to ignore the scourge of racism.

Years ago I shared an office with an older chinese guy. Just talking one day I told him (at the time) there was a cheesesteak shop in Phila called beloved patriot's Steaks. I found that name offensive and I asked Harvey what he thought. His answer was it didn't bother him. He also told me the name he finds offensive is "Chinaman", which I though was benign.

I don't have the arrogence to be the arbitor of what other people find offensive about the names used for them. I defer to Harvey what he wants to be called and what name(s) he finds offensive.

Why is "Beloved Patriot's Steaks" offensive to you? Does the term "owner" as in owner of a business, a franchise (not slave owner), offend you? If so, are you sure that isn't creating racism and bigotry to be offended over where there was none?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I am not being dishonest, not here or anywhere. How am I intentionally misrepresenting the nature of this issue?

Drop the bullshit. The mods have had to edit your thread titles more than once because you falsely represented issues. You run cover for Trump's lies even when they're clearly on the record. Dishonesty is all you are, and the scary thing is that you have a family and are imparting that dishonesty to them.

In this case, the players themselves wanted a change to get away from the connotations. They're not saying that the league is inherently racist or that they're being actively oppressed, like you insinuate -- they just think it's insensitive to talk about ownership when the very product of the organization is human labor.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Why is "Beloved Patriot's Steaks" offensive to you? Does the term "owner" as in owner of a business, a franchise (not slave owner), offend you? If so, are you sure that isn't creating racism and bigotry to be offended over where there was none?
Read it again. I got edited by the AI of this forum

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Drop the bullshit. The mods have had to edit your thread titles more than once because you falsely represented issues. You run cover for Trump's lies even when they're clearly on the record. Dishonesty is all you are, and the scary thing is that you have a family and are imparting that dishonesty to them.

In this case, the players themselves wanted a change to get away from the connotations. They're not saying that the league is inherently racist or that they're being actively oppressed, like you insinuate -- they just think it's insensitive to talk about ownership when the very product of the organization is human labor.

I'll just say the mods are not the keepers of truth. I'm not discussing it further unless Perk says I can, this isn't the place for complaining about or criticizing moderation. I've had plenty of IM's with him. We haven't seen eye to eye, but this is their site, not mine.

Your second paragraph is exactly why Trump (and common sense) won and why I walked away from the left.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I have gotten very tired of the ‘conservatives voted for Trump because liberals were mean to them’ argument. There is not one single shred of empirical evidence for this.

Related, despite the vastly more toxic and vitriolic treatment of liberals by conservative media spanning decades you never see the opposite argument that in order to prevent Democrats from being elected conservatives should be nicer to liberals.

As others said, respect is earned and not given and Spidey’s habitual dishonesty has squandered the default respect that people get. I do not respect his contribution because it is made in manifestly bad faith. Deciding to respect purposeful liars in the same way as honest brokers is part of the disease, not the cure.
So your argument here is "they started it". Followed by the concept that there is no evidence that people won't like you if you spend a lot of time telling them how stupid they are.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So your argument here is "they started it". Followed by the concept that there is no evidence that people won't like you if you spend a lot of time telling them how stupid they are.

No, my argument has nothing to do with 'they started it', it's that the argument is fundamentally silly and is only applied in one direction. Have you ever, once, heard that conservatives better start being nicer to liberals because otherwise they're going to elect Democrats? I never have. If you believe you have evidence that shows people vote for Republicans because liberals are mean to them I'd love to see it. I would also be very interested to see why the evidence is lacking in the other direction because as I said nobody ever argues the opposite.

What this really is in my opinion is that people who are used to having their opinions coddled by society are angry that's no longer the case so they try to invent reasons why society should go back to coddling them.

dyna

Oct 20, 2006
Why do you get to be the decider of what Draymond Greene finds offensive in a term used about him? Some not so hidden superiority complex? In basketball the players are the product.

If one worked for a car dealership the cars are the product and owner is more appropriate.

The argument you have is kind of funny. You are basically saying that you can manufacture whatever you want in your head and everybody should be ok with it. I bet if you took a poll, the majority of people would say that the 17 million per year that Draymond makes is way too much for somebody that plays basketball. Should Draymond lower his salary because those people are offended by his absurd salary?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The argument you have is kind of funny. You are basically saying that you can manufacture whatever you want in your head and everybody should be ok with it. I bet if you took a poll, the majority of people would say that the 17 million per year that Draymond makes is way too much for somebody that plays basketball. Should Draymond lower his salary because those people are offended by his absurd salary?

He's just arguing from the same stance religious people do. Cool?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

How about this: in a business, relations with your employees is important. If some of your employees care about this, the change costs effectively $0 to implement and means nothing to you personally why not do it? I mean who gives a flying fuck what the title of the owner is other than easily triggered snowflakes like Spidey?

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Here is one progressive liberal who agrees with Slow on this particular issue, the changing of the name. Not the rest of the liberals are to blame for everything part. It's nothing more than PC gone amuck. I don't see anything wrong with his first post here.

Reactions: SlowSpyder

dyna

Oct 20, 2006
How about this: in a business, relations with your employees is important. If some of your employees care about this, the change costs effectively $0 to implement and means nothing to you personally why not do it? I mean who gives a flying fuck what the title of the owner is other than easily triggered snowflakes like Spidey?

I don't care what they call NBA owners but it doesn't mean that I don't think the whole idea of changing it is dumb. The usage of the word owner to describe somebody that owns a business is common sense.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
If you are a libtard and disagree with this opinion, please do counter me.
I do not have the imagination to percieve Slow as anything but a dishonest trollbot OR someone mentally challenged one way or the other... Usually when I tolerate his musings I think of him as the latter, when I take the other route its the former. I have a much easier time believing that he is an emmisary sent forth by The_Donald than anything else...

Off the mark?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If Draymond Greene was the only one this would go nowhere. Not your call. I find it interesting your objection to what they want to be called.

BTW - Just because you like it you can't go back to calling me "boy"

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Here is one progressive liberal who agrees with Slow on this particular issue, the changing of the name. Not the rest of the liberals are to blame for everything part. It's nothing more than PC gone amuck. I don't see anything wrong with his first post here.

Thank you, appreciate that.

But, now my question would be, how did PC go amuck? This is where I feel the left comes in, they're so eager to create victimization where there was none. It conditions people into believing they're a victim of something. There is a difference between being sensitive to something and being so hyper-sensitive to something that we create ghosts of that something at every turn.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If you are a libtard and disagree with this opinion, please do counter me.
I do not have the imagination to percieve Slow as anything but a dishonest trollbot OR someone mentally challenged one way or the other... Usually when I tolerate his musings I think of him as the latter, when I take the other route its the former. I have a much easier time believing that he is an emmisary sent forth by The_Donald than anything else...

Off the mark?

He uses similar phrases and insults that the extreme right use online so if he's not a member of the_donald he's probably at least reading it.

He's not very smart as it's amazingly easy to run circles around him but that doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing. He definitely deliberately lies on a regular basis to try and promote Trump or other nativist/white nationalist issues.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I am not being dishonest, not here or anywhere. How am I intentionally misrepresenting the nature of this issue?

According to your own articles the NBA is NOT dropping the term owner. The NBA has apparently always called owners Governors and the owners are part of the Board of Governors of the NBA. So the NBA is NOT saying "new terms will be used"and they are NOT asking others to do so.

Two teams have changed terminology and others are considering it, however both your articles say the the NBA is not asking teams to change or even to consider a change.

If you want to make the issue to be about creating racism where there is none, then be accurate with your facts, because when you make things up you get in your own way.

dyna

Oct 20, 2006
According to your own articles the NBA is NOT dropping the term owner. The NBA has apparently always called owners Governors and the owners are part of the Board of Governors of the NBA. So the NBA is NOT saying "new terms will be used"and they are NOT asking others to do so.

Two teams have changed terminology and others are considering it, however both your articles say the the NBA is not asking teams to change or even to consider a change.

If you want to make the issue to be about creating racism where there is none, then be accurate with your facts, because when you make things up you get in your own way.

The article(s) specifically calls the reason behind this is because it is racially insensitive and dates back to slavery. It is all about racism.