NASCAR fans...

MrsSkywalker

Jun 30, 2000
Have you all heard of today's tragedy yet? Kenny Irwin (rookie of the year in 1998) died at the speedway in Louden, NH while practicing for this weekend's New England 300 race. The accident happened only 8 weeks to the day after Kyle Petty was killed at around the same spot in the track. Officials are saying that the track conditions had nothing to do with the two accidents. However, other drivers have complained about problems with that particular section of track.

Now, a couple of thoughts about this whole business. First, if you get a chance to hop to MSN's headlines, read the article about the crash. About 90% of it has nothing to do with Kenny Irwin; rather, it's about the tragic loss of Kyle Petty two months ago and how his family is coping. What, was he more important than Irwin just because he had a famous grandpa? The way the story was handled really ticked me off (I checked ESPN...same thing with them). Secondly, if the track is in questionable condition, why are they allowing racing to continue there? I live in NH, and the track brings a lot of revenue to this state. It bothers me that at the moment, the track officials seem to be more worried about filling the stands this weekend than driver safety. I would like to see the race postponed until the track can thoroughly inspected. Also, I hope that they do a tribute to Irwin at the race. He may not have been a sainted Petty, but he was a person and a hero, and he deserves the respect given to one.

I don't know, it's just my opinion. Anyone else?

claiomh

May 31, 2000
it'll take seriously the loss of a big face on the propaganda.. Jarrett, Gordon, Dale Jr., before they seriously hamper any tracks.

face it folks, this is our country.

bean counters are in control and the almighty dollar.

Nick Stone

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
I've been watching the safety improvments over the last 5 years with Nascar racing. Here are my guesses at the improvements they might make.
1. A containment barrier, That is styrofoam blocks covered in sheetmetal at appropriate locations on the track. If a car hits them you haul the car and the damaged styrofoam off and quickly replace the blocks of styrofoam.
2. Too many crashes from hung throttles. The huge aircleaners on these cars often are installed or designed poorly and can hang on the throttle cable/lever. (I overhear much conversation about this during practice sessions on my race scanner.) Solution: Mandate changes for a standardized design to prevent it.
3. The 3 most recent Winston Cup deaths have been single car - practice session crashes. I wonder if the drivers tighten the belts and shoulder harness as tight as they should when it's just practice.
(Their head has to hit the roll cage etc. to cause death)

BTW think how panicked you would be if the throttle hung wide open on your car at 150 MPH. Would any of us be able to save ourselves?

MrsSkywalker

Jun 30, 2000
Nick, I couldn't agree with you more. I think there are lots of ways that they could make racing safer. But I'm not sure that a tighter shoulder strap would have saved them. Maybe the practices could be handled the same way as a race, with no room for the more "relaxed" attitude about them.

And no way could I keep my composure enough to save myself in that type of situation. Hell, I doubt I could at 60!