NAS with Bit Torrent Support

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
What are some of the cheaper NAS units that support torrent downloads?

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Say what? Bittorrent is a client program that's installed and is used for downloading files. A NAS is just a standalone network attached hard drive that usually runs a slimmed down linux for a basic OS

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: kevnich2
Say what? Bittorrent is a client program that's installed and is used for downloading files. A NAS is just a standalone network attached hard drive that usually runs a slimmed down linux for a basic OS

And some of them have bittorrent clients built in.

No examples to list, of course. I'm lazy. ;)

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Originally posted by: kevnich2

Uh, yep, I know what both of those things are.

I ended up finding a bunch. Iomega makes one and QNP makes a bunch. Also the ReadyNas.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
I ended up just getting the Iomega NAS. It supports torrents and I think will be a lot easier to setup. Although not as much fun as the WHS route :)

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
A NAS that can run a bittorent client...I learned something new today. I didn't know NAS had bittorrents built in, just thought they were still being as network storage drives.

Also, I don't consider the WHS a NAS. I consider that more of a slimmed down file server. Not that I'm saying it's bad. I just consider a NAS something that is just a network attached storage drive, not a full server. A NAS to me is more of a "dumb" server. Just my opinion entirely on that one though.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Iomega just released one. However, I'd suggest getting a KillerNIC and using the K1's bit torrent client with an attached USB drive and save money in the process.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/0...port-some-other-stuff/

http://www.engadget.com/search...l-gadget&searchsubmit=

Asus will soon be releasing a fancy NAS based on an ATOM processor, a fancy touch screen gui, and bittorrent support.

1.6GHz Atom CPU, 2GB of DDR2 RAM, room for two 3.5-inch SATA II drives, a 3.5-inch touch panel, 802.11n WiFi, DVD-RW slot-loading optical drive, four gigabit Ethernet ports, USB / DVI sockets and a built-in three-cell Li-ion battery to give you 15 minutes of emergency time should your power fail.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/0...interface-walkthrough/

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
What I do not get, are people who are willing to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on a NAS but is too cheap to buy a $10 CD or DVD. WHY?

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Googer
What I do not get, are people who are willing to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on a NAS but is too cheap to buy a $10 CD or DVD. WHY?

The nas was only $250. Do you mean $10 to buy a music CD or movie (on DVD) or are you implying that I should backup onto DVD?

I don't typically pirate music using bit torrent or movies for that matter, but I wanted to have to support to download torrents if I need to. Since I am using this NAS remotely (since I am on the road) I want to be able to download torrents without using whatever network I'm on when I'm away from home.

As for the backup question, CDs and DVDs suck as reliable backup.

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Originally posted by: dmw16

The nas was only $250. Do you mean $10 to buy a music CD or movie (on DVD) or are you implying that I should backup onto DVD?

I don't typically pirate music using bit torrent or movies for that matter, but I wanted to have to support to download torrents if I need to. Since I am using this NAS remotely (since I am on the road) I want to be able to download torrents without using whatever network I'm on when I'm away from home.

Yeah I can see your need for having a remote bittorrent client. My home server (2003 Server) has one so that if I need to download a large linux iso or something (testing different ones because I plan on switching to linux at some point), my server is on 24/7 so it can just stay on and download

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004

People use NAS units for more than storing what your implying as pirated content. I have probably 20gb of family photos, another 40-50gb of family movies that sorry, my wife would shoot me if we ever lost. My server is my central storage. I don't store anything important locally on our laptops or desktop computers. All of our my document folders are actually stored on my server and from the server, I run a nightly backup to fire proof/water proof usb hard drive.

Oh, and secondly, the music and movie industry really needs to get with the times. Most people I know don't pirate them because they simply don't want to spend the money but because several reasons: they don't want to physically go to a store and buy an entire album when they just want one song, they don't want to spend $10 on one song, they want a digital copy to be able to play on their Ipod or something and keep it in their computer to play there as well. Most people I know of I've mentioned itunes or rhapsody for this purpose and they happily switched. It wasn't because they didn't want to pay for it but because they didn't know there were other legal services out there (most of the time they honestly didn't really clue into the fact that it was illegal to do that)

But the music industry really needs to get with the times, trends are moving away from physical media like cd's & dvd's and into strictly digital mediums. Personally, I use napster (it does cost money now) and works great for my needs.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

What else is there for home use?

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey

See both posts above yours.

We have wedding photos and family and vacation pictures. I also download plenty of legit things via bit torrent.

Oh, and of course pr0n :)

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

We have wedding photos and family and vacation pictures. I also download plenty of legit things via bit torrent.

External Hard Drives also suck as a backup, they are fragile, prone to errors, and have a relatively short life. That's why online back up services like Carbonite or A-Drive make sense, especially for your situation where you wish to retrieve files from the internet.
Get 50GB of Adrive service free!
http://www.carbonite.com/

As for doing torrents at home while away, a second computer with remote desktop connection will do that job just fine; all you may need a NiC with Wake On Lan. As for my personal NAS recomendation, when it's available I'd think of getting the Asus Eee Station Nas. Or if you want something available now, the Airlink WMU-6500FS is a fairly well received and reviewed unit. The only drawback is the 10/100 port, but unless you have internet access faster than 100MB/s it should not be that big of a problem since it has USB 2.0 for local transfers and 125MB/s wireless for lan use.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inq...ve-packs-a-solid-punch

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Googer, thanks for the info. I agree that for backup anything local sucks. Right now the plan is critical files on the NAS and an external drive. Long term something like carbonite.

I went with the Iomega ix2. 1TB for $225 seemed like a good value. I may look into the Asus unit when it comes out tho. Thanks.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
A good use for NAS would be to hold your movie, photo, and music collection. Then use a network appliance like a PS3 or similar to play it back on your TV or portable WiFi device. As we agree, keep a service like Carbonite Or Adrive (also nice) around to serve as a back up for both your PC's and NAS.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001

I wasn't questioning the usefulness of bittorrent, but the uselessness of WORM optical discs. I backup everything to a fileserver, most things to a removable drive, and CRITICAL things also make it onto some kind of optical disc.

I was thinking about the feasibility of de-duped, encrypted, autoreplicating fileservers at different locations this morning when I should have been sleeping. Might remove the absolute need for optical media, but probably not. ;)

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
A good use for NAS would be to hold your movie, photo, and music collection. Then use a network appliance like a PS3 or similar to play it back on your TV or portable WiFi device. As we agree, keep a service like Carbonite Or Adrive (also nice) around to serve as a back up for both your PC's and NAS.

Boxee + new Mac Minis looks promising for media playback.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Just like you should not rely on one source for back ups, it's a good idea not to rely on only one online back up service. Because many are new companies and do not have a long track record, In the event that one of them runs in to financial trouble (especially in these days) it's a good practice to subscribe and regularly use two different online services in conjunction with localized back ups. Should one company fail or mess up, you are still protected.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

Boxee + new Mac Minis looks promising for media playback.

I think not.