NAS vs. External Enclosure (both alongside HTPC/WHS)

Cymera

Oct 25, 2008
Hi everyone! First off, I would like to apologize in advance in the event that this post breaks any rules (I checked the forum rules and they did not mention re-posting in a different forum section) - this is a re-post of a thread that I made in the Memory & Storage section which unfortunately did not get that much attention.

"Hello all!

First, I apologize if maybe this is the wrong place to post this (maybe better under the Networking or Home Theater sections?), but I am looking for some advice about an external storage setup that I can access throughout my home.

What I am looking to do is create an external storage solution, mostly for media but possibly also other data, that I can access on all computers (Windows PCs and possibly a Macbook) in a one floor condo and eventually a multi-floor house. Currently, I have a 2TB HD in my main rig that is accessible across my network on my 360 (via Tversity), my laptop, and my wife's macbook.

What I would eventually like is to have my current rig (Q6600 @ 3.0 Ghz, 4GB DDR2, 560 Ti) as a dedicated HTPC after I build a new machine (probably next spring/summer, around IB & Kepler), however I need to implement a larger storage solution before that (aka there's no more slots in this rig and the 2TB is filling up fast).

As such, I come here seeking wisdom! I was thinking of getting a 4 bay enclosure such as the Mediasonic 4 Bay Sata, USB 2.0 & eSata Hard Drive Enclosure, which I could hook up to a computer via eSata and go from there.

What do you guys think? Should I instead go with some kind of network storage, or is it just as good getting an enclosure whose drives are visible over the network? Also, for what I'm looking to do, is there an advantage to using RAID?

The reason an NAS doesn't seem appealing to me (possibly because of limited knowledge!) is because within the next 8-12 months I will have my current machine as an HTPC, and won't that be better than an NAS anyway?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Cy"

cganesh75

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Super Moderator
Oct 8, 2005
why waste money on external enclosure? your machine is powerful enough. i assume you are running win 7? why not just add couple of more 2TB drives to this machine and leave it on? it can then be your main pc/ htpc/ file server etc

Cymera

Oct 25, 2008
Yep, I'm on W7 Ultimate x64. Unfortunately, although my case (Antec 900) has space for more drives, my motherboard only has 4 SATA ports (a standard P5K mobo) which are occupied by one DVD-RW and another 3 HDDs.

I actually did add a 2TB drive just last summer, but I've filled it more than halfway already, so I'm trying to plan ahead. Considering I would have to drop a perfectly useful HDD to add another 2TB (OS drive is 320 GB, Applications drive 1 TB, Storage 2 TB), I thought I should go for an external enclosure this time around. I thought that a good 4 bay enclosure would give me sufficient expandability for the future, as well.

Thoughts?

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
An overclocked Q6600 with a GTX 560 Ti doesn't strike me as a very good HTPC to be honest. Neither does it sound like a very good dedicated file server. It's too hot, loud, and power hungry for either. What's your budget for this project? You can get a really nice 2-bay NAS for about $250 or so.

Cymera

Oct 25, 2008
Hi mfenn!

Yea, it is a bit of a loud pig, but the noise wouldn't be much of an issue (even with the Antec 900, sitting right next to it I barely notice the fans), however, the heat and power consumption is a bit much. Eventually I would create a purpose built HTPC, but considering I'm looking to build a new rig by next spring, I thought it would be a waste not to use my current machine as an HTPC, you know? Unless there's someone around Hamilton, Ontario that would like to buy it :p

My initial budget for this project is ideally $250, no more than $300, for the enclosure and one 2TB HD for starters.

Also, thanks parks853 for your thoughts on the NAS - it does seem to have some good things going for it. However, I'd probably go your route and try to make my own.

Overall, do you guys think I should make a NAS/HTPC/Server out of my current machine or make one from scratch, and if so, what do I do with the current machine?

However, if I did keep my current machine, would an external enclosure, connected via eSATA/Firewire, be a good solution to expand its storage ability?

Thanks for the help, guys!

Cy

parks853

Jul 18, 2011
Sempron 140 $30
Arctic Cooling ACALP64 $20
760GM-P33 $55
Kingston DDR3 1066 2GB $16
Seasonic 350W $42
Antec One Hundred $37 AR
4GB USB stick $10
Total: $210 AR

That gives you a solid base for a NAS system if you install FreeNAS to the USB drive.

Then, just add hard drives! Pretty much any 2TB drives will do. This Hitachi is $60 AR

mfenn built you a nice system there for a very reasonable price! You asked about RAID - for a home system you could utilize a mirrored RAID for redundancy to prevent data loss. With FreeNAS you can use UFS or ZFS file system and you can chose the legacy FreeNAS 7 or the new FreeNAS 8. FreeNAS 8 doesn't support uPnP and isn't going to for awhile. If you use a ZFS RAID configuration I've heard it is memory hungry, something to consider while planning your build.

I don't blame you for wanting to build your own. The off the shelf systems seem nice, but I want cheaper, more expandability, and the joy of doing it.

I also found a deal on the Samsung drives - 144 shipped from tiger direct for 2 x 2TB. The main difference being the Hitachi drives are 512b sectors and the samsung drives 4k (the new 'advanced format'). From what I read drive manufactures are going to be using the 4k sectors in the future to get the drive size bigger. So I wanted to go ahead and get use to them. Plus, the samsung got really good reviews. Other thing I remember is because of the 4k sectors there is less platters in the drive.

philosofool

Nov 3, 2008

Cymera

Oct 25, 2008
mfenn, you're amazing! Thanks for taking the time to look at some components! I'm a little shocked a homemade NAS could cost so little! One question though, would I be able to utilize the same machine as an NAS and an HTPC? Also, I would have to add a DVD-RW to that build, as I'd like an HTPC to be able to play DVDs (only issue being it might take up a SATA port).

However, I'm still not sure what to do with my current machine! I've put too much money into it over the years (several HD additions/replacements, just recently upgraded the GPU and PSU because my old ones died, that was a ~$500 upgrade...) to toss it. Also, I've been told (or issued a notice, not sure which) that the HTPC/NAS might also be used to play some games - my wife likes The Sims 3 and some PopCap games.

I suppose it depends somewhat on whether or not she wants to have a machine all to herself for play, at the moment we share the current machine for gaming (she has a macbook she uses for work). Frankly, I wouldn't mind her having her own, seems like we always feel like playing at the same times!

It is very nice to see that larger storage is quite affordable now. This brings me to my original question again: if, for example, I either built a new HTPC/NAS or converted my current rig into an HTPC/Gaming Rig, at least two SATA ports would be taken up by an OS/App drive and a DVD-RW, right? I suppose I could just create a partition on a larger drive for OS/Apps, but does that have any significant disadvantages?

My current MB (Asus P5K) only has 4 SATA ports, unfortunately. I noticed that the MB mfenn posted has 6, which would alleviate the problem. However, from a price-capability POV, it might be better to get the external storage I pointed to originally (unless there's something wrong with that one, or with external storage in general) and add HDDs IF I wanted to keep my current machine for gaming for the wife. Otherwise, mfenn's build looks great.

For example, if I was keeping the current machine for gaming as well as an HTPC/NAS:

1. Could swap out one drive for another 2TB = 4TB storage, ~640GB OS/Apps, DVD-RW; Cost: ~$60.00; no further expandability;
2. Get a 4 bay external storage with an initial 2TB = 4TB storage (HTPC 2TB + External 2TB), ~1TB OS/Apps (current OS drive 320GB + App drive 640GB), DVD-RW; Cost: ~180.00; another 3 slots in the external bay.

If I/we decide not to keep another gaming rig, I would go with mfenn's suggestion for an HTPC/NAS:

1. Base build with one 2TB = 4TB storage (current 2TB + new one), salvage ~640GB OS/Apps, DVD-RW; Cost: ~270; another 3 slots in the rig.

So, from what I've gathered from your advice, the advantage of a new build is lower power consumption, heat, and noise (also expandability), right? However, if I was planning to stick to the current machine as an HTPC/Gaming rig, would a basic 4 bay external enclosure solve my expandability issues? Are there disadvantages to an external via eSATA (the one posted in the first post is supposed to have active cooling)? Also, if I kept the current machine I might very well clock it down (the Q6600 being OC'd to 3.0).

Are there other reasons I should consider a new build for the HTPC/NAS?

Thanks so much for all your help, guys! It is very much appreciated!

Cy

parks853

Jul 18, 2011
mfenn, you're amazing! Thanks for taking the time to look at some components! I'm a little shocked a homemade NAS could cost so little! One question though, would I be able to utilize the same machine as an NAS and an HTPC? Also, I would have to add a DVD-RW to that build, as I'd like an HTPC to be able to play DVDs (only issue being it might take up a SATA port).

However, I'm still not sure what to do with my current machine! I've put too much money into it over the years (several HD additions/replacements, just recently upgraded the GPU and PSU because my old ones died, that was a ~$500 upgrade...) to toss it. Also, I've been told (or issued a notice, not sure which) that the HTPC/NAS might also be used to play some games - my wife likes The Sims 3 and some PopCap games.

I suppose it depends somewhat on whether or not she wants to have a machine all to herself for play, at the moment we share the current machine for gaming (she has a macbook she uses for work). Frankly, I wouldn't mind her having her own, seems like we always feel like playing at the same times!

It is very nice to see that larger storage is quite affordable now. This brings me to my original question again: if, for example, I either built a new HTPC/NAS or converted my current rig into an HTPC/Gaming Rig, at least two SATA ports would be taken up by an OS/App drive and a DVD-RW, right? I suppose I could just create a partition on a larger drive for OS/Apps, but does that have any significant disadvantages?

My current MB (Asus P5K) only has 4 SATA ports, unfortunately. I noticed that the MB mfenn posted has 6, which would alleviate the problem. However, from a price-capability POV, it might be better to get the external storage I pointed to originally (unless there's something wrong with that one, or with external storage in general) and add HDDs IF I wanted to keep my current machine for gaming for the wife. Otherwise, mfenn's build looks great.

For example, if I was keeping the current machine for gaming as well as an HTPC/NAS:

1. Could swap out one drive for another 2TB = 4TB storage, ~640GB OS/Apps, DVD-RW; Cost: ~$60.00; no further expandability;
2. Get a 4 bay external storage with an initial 2TB = 4TB storage (HTPC 2TB + External 2TB), ~1TB OS/Apps (current OS drive 320GB + App drive 640GB), DVD-RW; Cost: ~180.00; another 3 slots in the external bay.

If I/we decide not to keep another gaming rig, I would go with mfenn's suggestion for an HTPC/NAS:

1. Base build with one 2TB = 4TB storage (current 2TB + new one), salvage ~640GB OS/Apps, DVD-RW; Cost: ~270; another 3 slots in the rig.

So, from what I've gathered from your advice, the advantage of a new build is lower power consumption, heat, and noise (also expandability), right? However, if I was planning to stick to the current machine as an HTPC/Gaming rig, would a basic 4 bay external enclosure solve my expandability issues? Are there disadvantages to an external via eSATA (the one posted in the first post is supposed to have active cooling)? Also, if I kept the current machine I might very well clock it down (the Q6600 being OC'd to 3.0).

Cy

I got a little confused somewhere in there! ;)

I might be missing something but not sure how you would have one computer be a HTPC and a NAS (The NAS should be the file server for the HTPC). The HTPC is going to be a windows machine most likely and the NAS something like FreeNAS.

I would use mfenn's suggestions to build a NAS. A NAS is going to be a file server for accessing files stored on it from your network. If you use software that will stream media (DLNA) you will not even need a HTPC. You just need a xbox, ps3, boxee box, XBMC, or DLNA TV/DVD player.

I used my computer as a HTPC for a while and personally don't like it. I would rather have a digital video player of some sorts in my living room. They are small, don't need a keyboard/mouse, quiet, cheap, and use little power.

btw - I've been doing a lot of reading and came across this blog. I list it for two reasons -
1. Another cheap storage option with no work and no hardware cost
2. Because somewhere in the blog he recommends hitachi drives and it seems they have lots of experience with HDDs!

Last edited:

Cymera

Oct 25, 2008
I got a little confused somewhere in there! ;)

I might be missing something but not sure how you would have one computer be a HTPC and a NAS (The NAS should be the file server for the HTPC). The HTPC is going to be a windows machine most likely and the NAS something like FreeNAS.

I would use mfenn's suggestions to build a NAS. A NAS is going to be a file server for accessing files stored on it from your network. If you use software that will stream media (DLNA) you will not even need a HTPC. You just need a xbox, ps3, boxee box, XBMC, or DLNA TV/DVD player.

I used my computer as a HTPC for a while and personally don't like it. I would rather have a digital video player of some sorts in my living room. They are small, don't need a keyboard/mouse, quiet, cheap, and use little power.

btw - I've been doing a lot of reading and came across this blog. I list it for two reasons -
1. Another cheap storage option with no work and no hardware cost
2. Because somewhere in the blog he recommends hitachi drives and it seems they have lots of experience with HDDs!

If you're confused, it's certainly my fault! I'm very new to file servers, NAS, etc. Basically I just want largish storage that I can access across my household. I thought that if I just expanded the storage on my computer (either my adding more network-accessible HDs or network-accessible external storage), it would give me essentially the same thing as an NAS/Server. So I think I must've been throwing the terms around a bit too liberally :p

I agree that I would rather have a digital media player, but I have been using my 360 via Tversity for the past year and have had issues streaming HD content. Because of that, and because in most reviews I have read for Digital Boxes, they seem to have some trouble streaming some HD content, I was dead-set on an HTPC. If there are devices that can stream full 1080p, high bitrate content over a wired/possibly wireless network, I'd be all for it.

I looked into the HTPC thing quite a bit, though, and it seems doable with a PC remote, only big issues are size, heat, power consumption, etc. I suppose it makes sense if it would be used for more than just streaming media, aka gaming or something like that. Another thing I noticed is that music via my Xonar DS is MUCH better than streaming music via Tversity on the same speaker system. Maybe that's just a problem with the 360/Tversity, but another plus to an HTPC, in my mind, is that it would be the best quality audio/video (I would be connecting the TV directly to it via HDMI as well as the speakers).

Thoughts? Maybe I should stop posting, they are getting too long :p

O, and thanks for that blog, I'll definitely have to check it out :)

parks853

Jul 18, 2011
If you're confused, it's certainly my fault! I'm very new to file servers, NAS, etc. Basically I just want largish storage that I can access across my household. I thought that if I just expanded the storage on my computer (either my adding more network-accessible HDs or network-accessible external storage), it would give me essentially the same thing as an NAS/Server. So I think I must've been throwing the terms around a bit too liberally :p

I agree that I would rather have a digital media player, but I have been using my 360 via Tversity for the past year and have had issues streaming HD content. Because of that, and because in most reviews I have read for Digital Boxes, they seem to have some trouble streaming some HD content, I was dead-set on an HTPC. If there are devices that can stream full 1080p, high bitrate content over a wired/possibly wireless network, I'd be all for it.

I looked into the HTPC thing quite a bit, though, and it seems doable with a PC remote, only big issues are size, heat, power consumption, etc. I suppose it makes sense if it would be used for more than just streaming media, aka gaming or something like that. Another thing I noticed is that music via my Xonar DS is MUCH better than streaming music via Tversity on the same speaker system. Maybe that's just a problem with the 360/Tversity, but another plus to an HTPC, in my mind, is that it would be the best quality audio/video (I would be connecting the TV directly to it via HDMI as well as the speakers).

Thoughts? Maybe I should stop posting, they are getting too long :p

O, and thanks for that blog, I'll definitely have to check it out :)

I agree, finding an all encompassing digital video player is not without some frustration. I'm still looking for my solution, and willing to wait and work at it because I don't want a HTPC. However, if you do want a HTPC, probably the most powerful and versatile, it will be the most expensive if you want a nice dedicated HTPC.

So if you can decide on your setup then mfenn and others can probably help you get the hardware needed to handle the task and decide if there can be any reuse of hardware. There is so many ways to tackle it. The more dedicated devices you get the more money you spend, but get more convenience.

A NAS is always on, low power, supports RAID for redundency, can stream media, has user authentication, and supports multiple file sharing protocols to list some. Think of it like this - share files to/from a NAS from mac, windows, and Linux including time machine backups, data, media, etc no matter what other computer is on in the house and be able to stream with uPnP.

I'll give my opinion and say get a file server (off the shelf NAS, NAS like mfenn laid out, or even windows server). It will handle storage and streaming needs for now and later. Then you can decide what to do for a HTPC and main computer.

Last edited:

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
If you have the room in your existing case, why not just buy a new mobo with more ports instead of a completely building another system?

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com

No, the build that I proposed wouldn't do very well as an HTPC. The CPU is not up to the task of decoding 1080P video unassisted and graphics built into the mobo can't accelerate much content. I would recommend against trying to build a "do it all" machine because, unless you're willing to spend quite a lot more than your budget, you're going to get a machine that is mediocre at everything.

There comes a point in every machine's life when you just have to let it be or invest in a significant overhaul (mobo, CPU, RAM, GPU). Your current machine is still competent, but it is at the point where you would need to dump quite a bit of money into it to significantly expand its capabilities.

Either of these would be fine if you decide not to build another machine.

This option is pretty much out, see above. $300 barely sqeaks you into a NAS. It doesn't get you an HTPC+NAS. That statement also leaves aside the (not insignificant) cost of a Windows license, which an HTPC would need but a NAS doesn't.

An eSATA enclosure would work fine if you don't want to build an additional machine. You'll never saturate the SATA link with just normal HDDs.

Cy

No problem. :)

Cymera

Oct 25, 2008
I agree, finding an all encompassing digital video player is not without some frustration. I'm still looking for my solution, and willing to wait and work at it because I don't want a HTPC. However, if you do want a HTPC, probably the most powerful and versatile, it will be the most expensive if you want a nice dedicated HTPC.

So if you can decide on your setup then mfenn and others can probably help you get the hardware needed to handle the task and decide if there can be any reuse of hardware. There is so many ways to tackle it. The more dedicated devices you get the more money you spend, but get more convenience.

A NAS is always on, low power, supports RAID for redundency, can stream media, has user authentication, and supports multiple file sharing protocols to list some. Think of it like this - share files to/from a NAS from mac, windows, and Linux including time machine backups, data, media, etc no matter what other computer is on in the house and be able to stream with uPnP.

I'll give my opinion and say get a file server (off the shelf NAS, NAS like mfenn laid out, or even windows server). It will handle storage and streaming needs for now and later. Then you can decide what to do for a HTPC and main computer.

There do seem to be significant advantages to an NAS, however, the price point for one with 4 bays (self-contained ones, that is) is a bit higher than I wanted to go. However, I can see the value of a 'home-made' NAS/Server, as it would perform pretty much the same functions (given some software) for a lower cost. Will have to deliberate on this some more! :)

Thanks again for your thoughts, they've been very helpful!

Cymera

Oct 25, 2008
If you have the room in your existing case, why not just buy a new mobo with more ports instead of a completely building another system?

That's an interesting thought that I just looked into, however, Newegg.ca and Canadacomputers don't have any 6 SATA port mobos for socket 775. Most of the ones still available seem to be Micro-ATX, all of which have 4 ports, unfortunately.

That would've been a good solution, though. :(

Cymera

Oct 25, 2008
No, the build that I proposed wouldn't do very well as an HTPC. The CPU is not up to the task of decoding 1080P video unassisted and graphics built into the mobo can't accelerate much content. I would recommend against trying to build a "do it all" machine because, unless you're willing to spend quite a lot more than your budget, you're going to get a machine that is mediocre at everything.

First of all, I love how the Anand forum's quoting system works, I don't have to clean up you quoting me when I quote you!

Thanks for the clarification. It seems like my current machine is in an awkward position of being too loud, hot, and hungry to be an HTPC, but where making another HTPC wouldn't be very cheap... On the other hand, I assume that my current machine is 'powerful' enough to be a server and an HTPC? Even if those two don't go hand in hand! :p

There comes a point in every machine's life when you just have to let it be or invest in a significant overhaul (mobo, CPU, RAM, GPU). Your current machine is still competent, but it is at the point where you would need to dump quite a bit of money into it to significantly expand its capabilities.

O, I agree completely. I'm not trying to keep it going as my primary rig anymore. I'm content to let it be, I would just like to see if I can get more use out of it in a slightly different capacity. It is likely overkill for an HTPC or a server, but at least it's not underpowered for either! I will have to do some measurements to see what the power consumption is with lighter tasks like playing 1080p content. I know that the PSU I have is significant overkill, but I got it before I decided to use the Anandtech forums (I'm sure you would have set me straight, you certainly did in my proposed build a few weeks ago :))!

Either of these would be fine if you decide not to build another machine.

Thanks for your thoughts on it :) The main reason why I'm holding back on building a more purpose-designed HTPC is because it might also be used for some 'light' (if you call the pig that is Sims 3 'light' :p) gaming, in which case it would be a waste not to use my current rig.

This option is pretty much out, see above. $300 barely sqeaks you into a NAS. It doesn't get you an HTPC+NAS. That statement also leaves aside the (not insignificant) cost of a Windows license, which an HTPC would need but a NAS doesn't.

Gotcha :)

An eSATA enclosure would work fine if you don't want to build an additional machine. You'll never saturate the SATA link with just normal HDDs.

Perfect!

No problem. :)

<3 thanks again!

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
First of all, I love how the Anand forum's quoting system works, I don't have to clean up you quoting me when I quote you!

Thanks for the clarification. It seems like my current machine is in an awkward position of being too loud, hot, and hungry to be an HTPC, but where making another HTPC wouldn't be very cheap... On the other hand, I assume that my current machine is 'powerful' enough to be a server and an HTPC? Even if those two don't go hand in hand! :p

O, I agree completely. I'm not trying to keep it going as my primary rig anymore. I'm content to let it be, I would just like to see if I can get more use out of it in a slightly different capacity. It is likely overkill for an HTPC or a server, but at least it's not underpowered for either! I will have to do some measurements to see what the power consumption is with lighter tasks like playing 1080p content. I know that the PSU I have is significant overkill, but I got it before I decided to use the Anandtech forums (I'm sure you would have set me straight, you certainly did in my proposed build a few weeks ago :))!

Yep, your current machine has more than enough horsepower. If you don't mind the noise and extra power consumption, there is no technical reason that it could not serve as both, Wife Acceptance Factor notwithstanding. :p It just would not be ideal for either.

Thanks for your thoughts on it :) The main reason why I'm holding back on building a more purpose-designed HTPC is because it might also be used for some 'light' (if you call the pig that is Sims 3 'light' :p) gaming, in which case it would be a waste not to use my current rig.

Yep, the Sims 3 is light for anything with a discrete GPU.

Cymera

Oct 25, 2008
Yep, your current machine has more than enough horsepower. If you don't mind the noise and extra power consumption, there is no technical reason that it could not serve as both, Wife Acceptance Factor notwithstanding. :p It just would not be ideal for either.

We've both gotten used to the fans, although this is my first 'well cooled' PC, it just sounds like mild white noise with all the case fans and CPU fan on high. Not to mention, I would likely place it close to the speakers (Z-5500's for the TV) which should drown out any white noise. As for the power consumption, I'll look into clocking the CPU back down to normal, possibly underclocking the GPU (unless that's something I shouldn't be doing/can't do).

The Wife Seal of Approval is the reason I'm deliberating so much on this! :p

Yep, the Sims 3 is light for anything with a discrete GPU.

Technically speaking, yes, but from my experience, it does anything but run smoothly... Even after fresh installs on a fresh OS install, it can still jump from 120 to 40 FPS and back at times... However, The Sims Medieval stays at 120 consistently... Strange. :eek:

Regardless of The Sims 3's temperament, thanks to everyone for their patience and advice :)

Cymera

Oct 25, 2008
The obvious solution is to buy a bunch of RAM and stick the Sims 3 on a ramdisk! :awe:

Just kidding!

Genius! I may very well try something like that in the future. I almost feel guilty that my games run generally problem-free, and the one game she likes the most is so inconsistent in performance. :(

Cymera

Oct 25, 2008
Well, the enclosure is 20&#37; off until tomorrow at Canada Computers, so I will be heading over to buy it and one hard drive. I was wondering, mfenn, what manufacturer you'd recommend for storage HDDs? I believe I've noticed you favoring Hitachi in your posts, or is that just a coincidence?

Anyone else have any advice on this? I've usually gone for WD these past few years.