NAS storage for tablets?

Aedrin

Nov 7, 2013
I need a NAS that allows me to transfer files to and from both Android and an Ipad Air. I've been asked for one that will allow office documents and some vector drawing files to be transferred.

Seagate Central NAS seems to allow actual file transfers from the Ipad and Android tabs, but it has a reputation as slow and buggy. WD's My Cloud is faster, but only allows you to transfer video and pictures.

Does anyone know of any good options? This would be primarily on the local GigE network, where we currently have a NAS that has Android but no iDevice software, but I wouldn't turn down remote access if it has it available.

Thanks.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
I use a WD My Net N900 Central. I like it: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=740

I think you might have outdated/incorrect information regarding WD My Cloud, as I was able to use my Android cell phone to transfer any kind of file from the NAS router to my Android phone. I think I tested by transferring an entire uncompressed children's DVD including the full directory structure.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
there are file explorers on andriod which allows u to map and see network drives.

Im pretty sure u already know of them.
And i havent found anything easier to use when u need to use a network drive.
You can read and edit data on that shared drive.

You just need to setup permissions in the shared network file... it doesnt need to be a NAS, it can be a client windows machine with file sharing.
Possibly setting up a Handheld share folder with permissions so anyone with that password and login can enter that share folder on a hand held.

Last edited:

Aedrin

Nov 7, 2013
Never mind, I was not reading OP correctly.

iPads are dumb.

Yep, they are, but someone here is adamant about using it.

The problem with the WD my cloud isn't on the android side, but the iOS side. The iOS app only (according to wd's app page) allows you to upload pictures or video, period.

I'd considered just setting up a PC with a share, but they want something that will be available 24/7, and that seems more like a NAS to me.

-Edit-

Looks like there's a workaround (kind of) for IOS. You have to use an app like File Browser to access the NAS shares, and since IOS sandboxes all apps and their folders, you have to use the built in file transfer "send to app" to make everything work.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
Yep, they are, but someone here is adamant about using it.

The problem with the WD my cloud isn't on the android side, but the iOS side. The iOS app only (according to wd's app page) allows you to upload pictures or video, period.

I'd considered just setting up a PC with a share, but they want something that will be available 24/7, and that seems more like a NAS to me.

Well, a NAS is just a simple PC.

Does the NAS you have support any kind of plugin or app components? You could use, like Dropbox maybe. Depends on the NAS.