Question NAS Solution - suggestions/info

jawsthemeswimming428

Feb 4, 2021
I’m looking for a solution to accommodate the following:
1. Personal cloud – I don’t want to rely on Dropbox and others/want to store my documents and media locally but also have access to them securely from anywhere. I want to be able to set it and forget it with syncing. Whether it be my phone, tablet, or PC/laptop I’d like everything to be in sync. I’d also prefer apps vs web browser on mobile devices.
2. Apps – After playing around with a few NAS interfaces, I do like the inclusion of certain apps on top of the standard.
a. Notes app that is accessible on mobile as well as PC/laptop
b. Photos app that is accessible on mobile as well as PC/laptop
c. The ability to monitor/manage the NAS remotely would be nice too
3. Backup – Still not sure which route I’m going to take here so I’d like some flexibility.
a. Cloud backup – I currently have my photos and important documents going to Boxcryptor using Box.com as well as Sync.com. I may continue with one of them. I’d like the ability to have one of these services synced with the files on the NAS.
b. Remote backup – I also may try to have a friend/relative put some type of NAS device at their home in a geographically different location. The ability to backup over the Internet/VPN to a remote NAS device would be nice as well. Preferably not locked to the same make/model.
c. USB Backup – This may be an option as well. I’d like to be able to plug a USB into the NAS and have it backup all contents periodically.
d. NAS Bays – I’m contemplating going with a 1 or 2 bay. If I went with 2 bays, I’d use RAID1. If I’m doing a backup using one of the above methods is it necessary? Or would I be ok with a 1 bay device?
A few of the devices I have been looking at:
Synology DS118
Synology DS218
Synology DS218play
QNAP TS-230
WD My Cloud Home
WD My Cloud Home Duo
I don’t really care about multimedia streaming to TVs or other devices. I’m thinking when all is said and done, I’d like 4TB of usable space. I don’t want NAS specs to be a bottleneck. Trying to get opinions on if some of these are overkill or not. Is there another, better solution for what I’m trying to do? What am I missing? Any info/suggestions/ideas are welcome.

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
I had a Western Digital My Cloud for several years.

Replaced it with a Synology DS218 Plus last summer. Wished I would have made the change years earlier. Set it up with 2 Seagate IronWolf 4 TB drives in SHR.

DSM, Synology's, operating system, has a lot of your functionality built in. The user base is pretty active, so there are third-party apps for just about anything else.

I use Drive Server/Drive Client for nightly backups to the NAS. I use Multimedia server, Photo Station, and iTunes Server regularly. Make USB backups regularly using Hyper Backup. Do

Both systems have the usual NAS caveats--a) lots of tiny files take longer to copy than a single large file, and b) ethernet backups will always be faster than wifi backups.