NAS question

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Wasn't sure where to put this, so here I am.

I picked up a Netgear RN-204 after seeing it on sale and reading some good reviews. My question is:

I have data from a bunch of smaller hard drives consolidated on one 2TB drive (sitting around for 4 years) - if I insert the 2TB (with data) along with a bare 2TB into the NAS, will it just go ahead and start copying things over or is there a risk of it wiping said drive? Thanks all.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Generally the drives will be erased upon array creation. This allows them to be "in sync". You will need to purchase two new drives and copy the 2TB worth of data to the new array. Or you could also move the data from that 2Tb drive to another comouter, insert the old 2TB drive into the NAS along with an additional 2TB drive into the NAS, create the array, and then copy the data back.

Last edited:

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Doh, that's what I was afraid of. None of my friends have any 2TB drives laying around, just a 1TB and I have something like 1.25TB worth of data. The data came from a 1TB and two 500GB drives and I deleted a bunch of stuff, so I guess I could format those and it's just going to take a while to move everything over.

Thanks.