NAS Not Showing in Network, Can't Connect to Internet, Advice Needed

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
I've been trying to get a Synology 212j configured but have been having a tough time. The unit shows up in Synology Assistant, DSM installed fine, got two WD Green hard drives installed, but the unit does not show up in the network map with a TP-Link TL-WR740N router and my computer(it shows up as a "device (that) can not be placed in the map". The 212j is configured with a static IP and the necessary router ports are forwarded, but I can't connect to the internet via the ISP PPPoE connection. I can access the 212j via the IP address with a web browser, but Synology Disc Replicator 3 cannot find the unit.
I can't figure out why the NAS does not appear in the network map. Might it be incompatibility with Win7 64 bit or the TP-Link router? Before I buy a new router, I'd like to make sure it's a problem. I'm thinking my internet connection might be my ISP blocking ports, I think I'll call and find out.
Any advice or insight that would steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.