NAS drive with NTFS support?

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Never thought I'd have to ask this question. I want to get a network attached storage drive that supports NTFS, not for security reasons but to store files above 4gb. I bought a Buffalo DriveStation only to find after tinkering with it, that the drive does not support NTFS through the network port.

Does another brand support it? I don't want to keep going through the expense of buying a drive of every manufacturer until I hit upon a winner.

Thanks.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
HD-HCU2 DriveStation User Guide...

"By default, the DriveStation is formatted with FAT32, allowing it to be used with
OS X, Windows, and Linux operating systems.
If you?re going to use it with programs that generate flesizes larger than 4GB, such as backup or video editing software, reformat the DriveStation as an NTFS drive (Windows), a Mac OS Extended drive (Mac), or an XFS drive (Linux)."

This doesn't apply to your DriveStation?

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
The DriveStations can be connected either by usb or lan, ntfs is only supported through usb.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
We have several of the 1TB Linkstation Pros at work and they are using NTFS over the network connection. It is using an NT Based embedded OS as its foundation... What makes you think it cannot use NTFS?

pcgeek11

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: pcgeek11
What makes you think it cannot use NTFS?

pcgeek11
He tinkered with it.

Originally posted by: cubby1223
...after tinkering with it, that the drive does not support NTFS through the network port.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The standalone NAS' use open source, or inexpensive propriety schemes as firmware.

The firmware is the NAS' OS, thus none of them supports NTFS.

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
Originally posted by: JackMDS
The standalone NAS' use open source, or inexpensive propriety schemes as firmware.

The firmware is the NAS' OS, thus none of them supports NTFS.

Which is why they should stick to Linux based firmwares and use EXT3 or even EXT4 now. Both are superior to NTFS in my opinion, mostly because they are free ;)

CSMR

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2004
Do NASes still not support NTFS?

I am looking for a NAS but the last time I had one I found the lack of NTFS support was a big inconvenience.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Do NASes still not support NTFS?

I am looking for a NAS but the last time I had one I found the lack of NTFS support was a big inconvenience.

There are Linux NTFS drivers out there that work fine, but including them in a commercial product is tricky. Most NAS vendors can't go toe to toe with the MS legal team.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Samba rarely gets permissions just right w/ Windows ACLs, so you generally handle it at the share level, but the underlying disk file system generally isn't even known, unless you dig through an admin interface.

With Samba itself being odd about permissions (usually on new files, or trying to write to empty dirs), supporting NTFS won't do much, if any, good. Not only do they not want to risk legal threats against themselves, but using a FS driver that's known stable inside the kernel makes the most sense in general (JFS1, EXT3, EXT4, UFS, or ZFS), and aside from saving you a small amount of time by being able to preload data on a drive, rather than do it over the network, there's not much in the way of pros, IMV.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I took the OP's question to be that he wants to be able to plug in an NTFS formatted USB drive and share that data out.

CSMR

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2004
I get it.

It can be quite a long time to fill up a large hard drive over a network connection, plus may need an extra drive compared to just plugging in a regular NTFS format drive with files in.

Shame MS doesn't license NTFS especially as they have existed this market by abandoning WHS.