Napoleon Total War

MStele

Sep 14, 2009
So who picked this gem up? I got the limited addition for $40 at Best Buy. So far it plays great and is much smoother overall than Empire. I'm recommending it to all TW fans, especially the ones who skipped Empire over performance issues. I miss the grand campagn of Empire, but NTW makes up for it in many other ways.

In other news, I was going to pick up Supreme Commander 2 at the same time but balked at the $60 price tag. Guess I'll wait a few months for that one. Also hopefully by then the "Persistant Internet Connection Required" logo on the front of the Silent Hunter 5 box will be removed also so i can buy that one to.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Empire burned me bad and I was going to skip this title, but it turns out this is the game I wanted Empire to be from the beginning.

I feel they kept the best parts of Empire and jettisoned the crap that sucked and with more than 40 hours in, I haven't had a single CTD -Amazing, I know!

The battles are a huge step forward in terms of look and feel - the AI still has some flaws but it's so much better than it used to be.

It's not all roses, it's lame that the battles are locked until you complete the earlier ones and the GC only has a few factions. The scenarios feel very rushed, for both Italy and Egypt I basically had to blitz in the last few rounds to complete them before the timer expired.

Napoleons battles are a hit and miss, I obviously haven't figured out what the is secret to Waterloo/Trafalgar/Borodino yet - they seem almost impossible. I did manage to win Trafalgar on easy but even then it was down to the wire.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Yeah, I'm interested in seeing some more impressions. I'm still pretty annoyed by the Empire dealings. Could have, should have been another awesome game in the series.

MStele

Sep 14, 2009
Yeah, I'm interested in seeing some more impressions. I'm still pretty annoyed by the Empire dealings. Could have, should have been another awesome game in the series.

I agree. Empire should have been the greatest, with the large number of factions, as well as coverage over much of the world. What we got was a great premise cloaked in a buggy, underoptimized game engine. NTW runs in the way Empire should have, which much quicker turns as well as smoother overall gameplay, but it lacks the scope that Empire had.

If they release some nice expansions that reintroduce the grand campaign into Africa and the America's I will be ecstatic. Obviously they should have just gotten it right the first time around with Empire, but I'm willing to forgive this one considering the number of quality game hours I got from earlier games in the series.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I've enjoyed the TW series from CA over the years but one of the things I don't like about CA is that they constantly put out a buggy game at release. And by that I mean obvious bugs and problems that should never get past them. They seem to like that old attitude, 'We'll fix it later, lets just get it out for now'. Often its the mod community that fxes their product first before a official patch and thats just not right. I'm glad they do it but they shouldn't have to. I know CA likes to blame their publisher for the problem but ultimately I hold CA responsible for it because they should know better and it is their game afterall. And the thing is with each new game in the series it seems to be getting worse. I'm getting really tired of it.

Anyway because they continually release obvious bugs I'm not buying their game this time. It may not hurt them financially but enough is enough. Perhaps I'll try it when it hits bargain bin pricing but for now I'm not going to reward them with my money for now. I'm not trying to preach here but I just gotta say I'm tired of supporting this kind of behavior from game designers. I don't want to see anything bad happen to CA but they really need to change how they do things there.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I don't get why but I really really suck at these TW games. Napoleon is kicking my ass.

jackbency

Mar 5, 2010
I have beaten the Italy and Egypt campaigns, working on Europe. So far this is awesome and I play it too much. A lot of new features and content in this Game.