Names of the Dead

Page 108 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Department of Defense announced today the deaths of six Marines who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Killed were:

Capt. Daniel B. Bartle, 27, of Ferndale, Wash.

Capt. Nathan R. McHone, 29, of Crystal Lake, Ill.

MSgt. Travis W. Riddick, 40, of Centerville, Iowa.

Cpl. Jesse W. Stites, 23, of North Beach, Md.

Cpl. Kevin J. Reinhard, 25, of Colonia, N.J.

Cpl. Joseph D. Logan, 22, of Willis, Texas.

These Marines died January 19 while supporting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. They were assigned to Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 363, Marine Aircraft Group 24, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, III Marine Expeditionary Force, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Cpl. Christopher G. Singer, 23, of Temecula, Calif., died Jan. 21 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 3rd Combat Engineer Battalion, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Twentynine Palms, Calif.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Capt. Joshua C. Pairsh, 29, of Equality, Ill., died Jan. 22 in the United States of a non-combat related illness. He was assigned to 4th Civil Affairs Group, Marine Forces Reserve, based out of Washington, D.C.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

1st Lt. David A. Johnson, 24, of Horicon, Wis., died Jan. 25, in Kandahar province, Afghanistan, of injuries suffered after encountering an improvised explosive device while conducting a dismounted patrol.

Johnson was assigned to the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Department of Defense announced today the death of two Marines who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Sgt. William C. Stacey, 23, of Redding, Calif., died Jan. 31 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Lance Cpl. Edward J. Dycus, 22, of Greenville, Miss., died Feb. 1 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 9th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

This second incident is under investigation.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Department of Defense announced today the death of a general officer who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Brig. Gen. Terence J. Hildner, 49, of Fairfax, Va., died Feb. 3, in Kabul province, Afghanistan. Hildner was assigned to the 13th Expeditionary Sustainment Command, Fort Hood, Texas.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Sgt. 1st Class Billy A. Sutton, 42, of Tupelo, Miss., died Feb. 7 in Uruzgan province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to the 223rd Engineer Battalion, 168th Engineer Brigade, Mississippi National Guard, West Point, Miss.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Pfc. Cesar Cortez, 24, of Oceanside, Calif., died Feb. 11, in the Kingdom of Bahrain.

Cortez was assigned to 5th Battalion, 52nd Air Defense Artillery Regiment, 11th Air Defense Artillery Brigade, 32nd Army Air and Missile Defense Command, Fort Bliss, Texas.

Lance Cpl. Osbrany Montes De Oca, 20, of North Arlington, N.J., died Feb. 10 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan.

He was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Department of Defense announced today the death of a sailor who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Kyler L. Estrada, 21, of Maricopa, Ariz., died Feb. 14 as a result of a non-combat related training incident in Djibouti. Estrada, a Navy hospital corpsman, was assigned to the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit based at Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Sgt. Jerry D. Reed II, 30, of Russellville, Ark., died Feb. 16, in Paktika province, Afghanistan.

Reed was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment, 172nd Separate Infantry Brigade, Grafenwoehr, Germany.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Department of Defense announced today the deaths of four airmen who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. They died February 18 when their U-28 aircraft was involved in an accident near Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti, Africa. The cause of the accident is under investigation.

Killed were:

Capt. Ryan P. Hall, 30, of Colorado Springs, Colo. He was assigned to the 319th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.

Capt. Nicholas S. Whitlock, 29, of Newnan, Ga. He was assigned to the 34th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.

1st Lt. Justin J. Wilkens, 26, of Bend, Ore. He was assigned to the 34th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.

Senior Airman Julian S. Scholten, 26, of Upper Marlboro, Md. He was assigned to the 25th Intelligence Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a sailor who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Petty Officer First Class Paris S. Pough, 40, of Columbus, Ga. died Feb. 17, during a port visit in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

Pough, a hull technician, was assigned to the USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70), home-ported in San Diego, Calif.

Sgt. Jerry D. Reed II, 30, of Russellville, Ark., died Feb. 16, in Paktika province, Afghanistan.

Reed was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment, 172nd Separate Infantry Brigade, Grafenwoehr, Germany.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Sgt. Allen R. McKenna Jr., 28, of Noble, Okla., died Feb. 21 in Kandahar province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to the 1st Squadron, 10th Cavalry, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, Colo.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Department of Defense announced today the deaths of two soldiers who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

They died Feb. 23, in Nangarhar province, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when their unit came under small arms fire. They were assigned to the 385th Military Police Battalion, 16th Military Police Brigade (Airborne), XVIII Airborne Corps, Fort Stewart, Ga.

Killed were:

Sgt. Joshua A. Born, 25, of Niceville, Fla.

Cpl. Timothy J. Conrad Jr., 22, of Roanoke, Va.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Department of Defense announced today the death of an airman who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Lt. Col. John D. Loftis, 44, of Paducah, Ky., died Feb. 25 from wounds received during an attack at the Interior Ministry, Kabul, Afghanistan. He was assigned to the 866th Air Expeditionary Squadron, Kabul, Afghanistan.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Maj. Robert J. Marchanti II, 48, of Baltimore, Md., died Feb. 25, from wounds received during an attack at the Interior Ministry, Kabul, Afghanistan.

Marchanti was assigned to 1st Battalion, 29th Infantry Division Security Partnering Team of the Maryland Army National Guard, Baltimore, Md.

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

On Feb. 25, the armed forces medical examiner at the Dover Port Mortuary in Dover, Del., positively identified the remains of Staff Sgt. Ahmed K. Altaie, of Ann Arbor, Mich. He was assigned to the Provincial Reconstruction Team, Divisional Training Center, Special Troops Battalion, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Hood, Texas.

On Dec. 11, 2006, a casualty review board declared Altaie “missing – captured” after his disappearance in Baghdad, Iraq on Oct. 23, 2006. Altaie was the final missing soldier and casualty to be recovered from the Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation New Dawn mission.

:(

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Department of Defense announced today the deaths of two soldiers who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

They died Mar. 1, in Kandahar province, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered from small arms fire during an attack on their base. They were assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, N.C.

Killed were:

Staff Sgt. Jordan L. Bear, 25, of Denver, Colo.

Pfc. Payton A. Jones, 19, of Marble Falls, Texas.

Cpl. Conner T. Lowry, 24, of Chicago, Ill., died March 1 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Spc. Edward J. Acosta, 21, of Hesperia, Calif., died March 5, in La Jolla, Calif., of injuries sustained Dec. 3, 2011, when his vehicle was struck by an improvised-explosive device in Wardak province, Afghanistan.

Acosta was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 5th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division, Fort Bliss, Texas.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I received this from an enlisted family member today and thought I would share it here.
THE FINAL INSPECTION
The Soldier stood and faced God, Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining, Just as brightly as his brass.
'Step forward now, Soldier, How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek? To My Church have you been true?'

The soldier squared his shoulders and said, 'No, Lord, I guess I ain't.
Because those of us who carry guns, Can't always be a saint.
I've had to work most Sundays, And at times my talk was tough.
And sometimes I've been violent, Because the world is awfully rough.
But, I never took a penny, That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime, When the bills got just too steep.
And I never passed a cry for help, Though at times I shook with fear..
And sometimes, God, forgive me, I've wept unmanly tears.
I know I don't deserve a place, Among the people here.
They never wanted me around, Except to calm their fears If you've a place for me here, Lord, It needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much, But if you don't, I'll understand.

There was a silence all around the throne, Where the saints had often trod.
As the Soldier waited quietly, For the judgment of his God.
'Step forward now, you Soldier, You've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets, You've done your time in Hell.'

Author Unknown

It's the Soldier, not the reporter Who has given us the freedom of the press.
It's the Soldier, not the poet, Who has given us the freedom of speech.
It's the Soldier, not the politicians That ensures our right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness..
It's the Soldier who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, And whose coffin is draped by the flag.
This seemed especially relevant in light of today's news.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Staff Sgt. Jesse J. Grindey, 30, of Hazel Green, Wis., died March 12, in Kandahar province, Afghanistan.

Grindey was assigned to 287th Military Police Company, 97th Military Police Battalion, 89th Military Police Brigade, Fort Riley, Kan.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Spc. Daquane D. Rivers, 21, of Marianna, Fla., died March 14, from injuries sustained in a non-combat related incident in Paktika province, Afghanistan.

Rivers was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment, 172nd Infantry Brigade, Grafenwoehr, Germany.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

2nd Lt. Clovis T. Ray, 34, of San Antonio, Texas died Mar. 15 at Kunar province, Afghanistan of injuries suffered when insurgents attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 35th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, Schofield Barracks, Hawaii.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Department of Defense announced today the death of two soldiers who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Sgt. Jamie D. Jarboe, 27, of Frankfort, Ind., died March 21 in Topeka, Kan., from wounds suffered on April 10, 2011 in Kandahar province, Afghanistan, when enemy forces attacked his unit with small arms fire. He was assigned to the 4th Squadron, 4th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Heavy Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Riley, Kan.

Spc. Dennis P. Weichel Jr., 29, of Providence, R.I., died March 22 in Laghman province, Afghanistan, from injuries suffered in a noncombat related incident. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 143rd Infantry Regiment, 56th Troop Command, Rhode Island National Guard, East Greenwich, R.I.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Department of Defense announced the death of three soldiers who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Spc. Dennis P. Weichel Jr., 29, of Providence, R.I., died March 22 in Laghman province, Afghanistan, from injuries suffered in a noncombat related incident. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 143rd Infantry Regiment, 56th Troop Command, Rhode Island National Guard, East Greenwich, R.I.

Capt. Aaron D. Istre, 37, of Vinton, La., died March 24 in Kabul, Afghanistan. He was assigned to the HHC, 13th Sustainment Command (Expeditionary), Fort Hood, Texas.

Sgt. Daniel J. Brown, 27, of Jerome, Idaho, died March 24 in Kandahar province, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, Colo.