Name some perhaps obsure Classical Pieces you like.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Composer:Sibelius

Concerto, Op. 47, In D Mino: Allegro moderato, Adagio di molto, Allegro, ma non tanto

Composer: Smetna

Vltava

These are truely some of the best pieces I have ever heard.

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
Mascagni - Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana

Robert Russell Bennett - Suite of Old American Dances

Respighi - I Pini Di Roma

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Carl Orff - The other stuff he made before the Carmina Burana. He tried to destroy all his other work claiming that that was not worth keeping in comparison.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
My theory: popular classical pieces are popular for a reason. Why the interest in obscure pieces?

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Rob9874
My theory: popular classical pieces are popular for a reason. Why the interest in obscure pieces?

True the popular pieces are superior, but more obscure pieces are still good - they just don't suit as many tastes.
Personally I'm a sucker for virtually everything Chopin, Etudes, Concertos and Vodka. :beer::D

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Composer:Sibelius

Concerto, Op. 47, In D Mino: Allegro moderato, Adagio di molto, Allegro, ma non tanto

Composer: Smetna

Vltava

These are truely some of the best pieces I have ever heard.

since when is smetana obscure?

Definitely my favourite though along with piano concerto #1 Chaikovsky

By the way the main theme of Vltava (which is also a river that flows thru Prague and most of western bohemia) was actually taken by Smetana from a folk song called "kocka leze dirou, pes oknem" which means "cat crawls thru a hole, dog thu a window". Every single czech knows that song :) (and obviously so do i)

POST YOUR AGE TOO!

im bit curious as to who likes classical music
im 20 :)

Dec 28, 2001
I don't think any of thse pieces are obscure by any means, but the ones I like are:

Mars/Jupiter - the Planets : Holst

Bolero: Ravel

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Legendary

True the popular pieces are superior, but more obscure pieces are still good - they just don't suit as many tastes.
Personally I'm a sucker for virtually everything Chopin, Etudes, Concertos and Vodka. :beer::D

I ask, because the title made me think of the quote, "What a sense of superiority it gives one to escape reading some book which everyone else is reading." - Alice James

Took me forever to Google that quote! I think it holds true in many aspects of life, particularly music. (or what CPU we use, ISP, OS, etc...)

sobriquet

Sep 10, 2002
Sensemaya - Silvestre Revueltas
The Iron Foundry - Alexander Mosolov
Dessecated Embryos - Erik Satie - these are funny as hell
Turangalila Symphony - Olivier Messiaen
Jacobsleiter - Arnold Schoenberg
Wozzeck - Alban Berg
Svadebka (Les Noces, or The Wedding) - Igor Stravinsky
Sonatas and Interludes - John Cage
Four Saints in Three Acts - Virgil Thomson

Those are the more "popular" of the "obscure" that I like. I'm 20, by the way. I don't enjoy "obscure" music because it makes me feel superior. Most people have damn good reasons for hating some of the stuff I love, and that's perfectly fine by me.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002

No, popular classical pieces are popular because they usually have a strong chorus, such as fur elise or canon in d, which their chorus are catchy and stands out. That is why most pop songs are popular, because they have a strong chorus that captures peoples attention easily.

Most real musicans will agree that the many popular classical songs perceived by the common people are not all that musically sophsticated.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
(don't know the composer) Itzak Perlman - Reyzele
Rachmaninov Concerto No. 4

Hmmm, I used to have a much wider collection. These really aren't that obscure.

sobriquet

Sep 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Imdmn04

No, popular classical pieces are popular because they usually have a strong chorus, such as fur elise or canon in d, which their chorus are catchy and stands out. That is why most pop songs are popular, because they have a strong chorus that captures peoples attention easily.

Most real musicans will agree that the many popular classical songs perceived by the common people are not all that musically sophsticated.

Exactly. In order for music to be popular, it has to be digestible by a wide range of people. In other words, it has to be easy. Pachelbel's Canon, which everyone and their dog seems to love, is built on a total of 5 different chords - I V vi iii IV I IV V. It doesn't get any easier than that. Move to fin-de-sielce composers like Stravinksy, Schoenberg, and to a lesser extent Mahler and Strauss and you find yourself in two or more keys at once. Most people just get lost because there's no regular recurring structure for them to grasp on to.

It's true, most musicians (myself included) will tell you that the popular pieces are less "sophisticated" and that there's better stuff out there. That's not to say that stuff like Canon in D is bad - I think it's a gorgeous piece. But it's kind of like looking at Roccoco paintings all day long - it's good to get a little abstraction every now and then.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Ride the Lightning- Metallica

I couldn't resist, this thread is way too serious for OT, although I thought their concert with the SF Symphony was actually really good.

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Probably not sufficiently obscure, but I really like just about all of the pieces from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition.

Woodchuck2000

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2002
Because the size of the 'Classical' repertoire is so large that there are many pieces which are less well-known but superior in every way.

As far as obscure music goes,
Einojuhani Rautavaara (Finnish composer, still alive) has written some marvellous work, his 4th Piano Concerto and 'The Isle of Bliss' are well worth a listen.
Geirr Tveitt (Norweigen, 1908-1981) also wrote some interesting modern music - his 'Variations on a Folk Song from Hardanger' for two pianos and orchestra are good listening, as are most of his piano concertos.

Music which I love and should be more well known includes

Ravel - Gaspard de la Nuit,
Prokofiev - Piano Concerto no. 3
Walton - Missa Brevis
Bruckner - Mass in E Minor

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001

You do not even BEGIN to understand the "popular" ones until you delve deep into all. Only then do you realize why the masters are Bach, Mozart Beethoven.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Imdmn04

Or they are both. Sphisticated and yet appealingto the masses. Don;t tell me Bach and Beethoven just jumbled down tunes to impress a rich aristocrat.

Haydyn perhaps, but not everyone....:D

Woodchuck2000

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

You do not even BEGIN to understand the "popular" ones until you delve deep into all. Only then do you realize why the masters are Bach, Mozart Beethoven.
I don't understand why people are so enthralled by Mozart, Beethoven and Bachs various. Music has moved on so much since Beethoven died - Listen to a good piece of Prokofiev or Shostakovich and the wealth of tonal colours and harmonic variety makes Beethoven seem very drab. It's like going back to black and white TV after watching HDTV.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Thank you all for this great list. I have and have heard most of it, but some of the new stuff is interesting:D

As for Smetana being "obscure", I meant that the average person might no recognize it. Then again, if you are Jewish and or Czech ;), Smetana is not so "obscure."

As for what I know, Sibelius was Finn who was treated like crap by Americans. Worse for Sibelius, Brahms responded with a resounding " I want nothing to do with him" to Sibelius' request to study under .

Prokofiev too was not all lucky, although every orchestra eventually played his music in support of the US's Russian Ally during the WWII. Prokofiev had studied under Korsakov, and his diploma from the St. Petersburg Conservatory read ,"Talented but Completely Immature.":D He had come to the US to show off. Worst, he thought returning to Mother Russia was better than staying in the US. There is a section on him where he was in Central park, terribly burdened by the lack of "civility" in the US. In Russia, he wrote and people came to listen by the thousands. Here he was brushed aside. The problem was that although in Russia he was treated like a king, wining two Stalin awards, all his music had to play to favor... Prokofiev truly loved his country, and was a nationalist.

Stravinsky writes this about why Prokofiev went home; and yes he actually wrote THIS in his memoirs:

" It was a sacrifice to the bitch goddess and nothing else. He had no success in the United States and Europe for several reasons, while his visit to Russia had been a triumph. When I saw him for the last time in 1937, he was despondent about his material and his artistic fate in France. HE was politically naive, however. ...He returned to Russia, and when he finally understood his position there, it was too late"
:(

Shostakovich seemed to mentor them all.

I am 20 by the way...21 in May.

I must say, it has been quite irritating when people blurt out that "Bach and such and such are the best" but have nothing to back it up. After reading a bit, I have come to a premature conclusion that perhaps "Bach. Mozart....Beethoven" are the "best" but the "best" is not always what I want to hear.

Just picture what "Bach" sounds like, and then contrast that with the Patriotic yet also somber Comrade-base of Prokofiev's Stalingrad [sic] Symphony or Sibelius's play off of Finnish folk songs. The fact remains that Shostakovich, Prokofiev, and others were forced to Play to the communist party, and yet...and yet, they produced some of the most pleasing sounds played. At the time people had the audacity to stand up and BOO Prokofiev when he had recitals in NYC, which added more to the "depth" of the music.

What's funny, is that I was reading a book about composers, and there was this one nasty comment about Sibelius' "Valse Triste? in the New York Herald Tribune by one Virgil Thomson, stating that the piece was "vulgar, self-indulgent, and provincial beyond description." :D

The author (Phil G. Goulding) then states:

"be that as it may, one does note that Mr. Sibelius' symphony has lasted very well indeed into the later years of the century-which cannot be said of Mr. Thomson's Newspaper....."

"...in the 1940s, the American radio audience, responding to a CBS radio poll, voted Sibelius its favorite classical composer. Whether these were the same people who later gave Dallas its high television ratings is unknown...." :D

EDIT: Typos..LOTS of 'em