"NAFTA Superhighway" myths dispelled: A response to the fringe.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Once in a while I see posted in here threads mentioning an ominous "superhighway". I've never really paid attention, but today I read through an editorial by the supposed president of this "NAFTA Superhighway" organization which I thought might help correct the popular myths surrounding the topic.

First, some quick facts as given by George Blackwood, president of the North American Super Corridor Coalition, Inc., followed by the text of the editorial itself:

* NASCO is a nonprofit advocacy group, not a government agency. NASCO does not set transportation policy, build highways, or set up customs facilities.

* NASCO is not building or encouraging the creation of 'a NAFTA Superhighway.' I-35 and key crossing interstates such as I-80 already exist and have been described as "a NAFTA Superhighway" due to the loads they bear since the 1994 passage of NAFTA. They require attention to support future growth and trade.

* NASCO does not plan to have a Mexican Customs Office on "Mexican soil" within the U.S. that will bring in or stimulate entry of illegal immigrants.

* NASCO does not encourage the elimination of international borders.

* NASCO does not focus on or have any intent to change Federal immigration policy.

* NASCO advocates for balancing increased border security and trade and transportation efficiency.

* NASCO exists to facilitate solutions to trade and transportation challenges and to stimulate economic development, job creation and prosperity.

Highway myths

As of late, there have been many media references to a "new, proposed NAFTA Superhighway." While NASCO and the cities, counties, states and provinces along our existing Interstate Highways 35, 29 and 94 have referred for years to I-35 and key branches as "the NAFTA Superhighway," the reference solely acknowledged and recognized I-35's major role in carrying a remarkable portion of international trade with Mexico, the United States and Canada. In actual fact, there are no plans to build "a new NAFTA Superhighway." It already exists today as I-35.

In the 21st century, economies increasingly runs on trade and trade runs on transportation. In reality, greater moves toward oversight, inspection, regulation and enforcement of each of the three countries' national laws are leading to a strengthening of national sovereignty in each of the three countries. Let's dispel the myths.

The I-35, I-29 and I-94 NASCO SuperCorridor, which links North America's No. 1 busiest border-crossing site, at Detroit and Windsor, and its No. 2 busiest border site, at Laredo, Tex. and Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. Neither the U.S. Department of Transportation nor any U.S. state Department of Transportation has plans for a non-existent "NAFTA Superhighway" despite repeated, baseless claims from small extreme-right and extreme-left groups that have found stoking such fears attracts new recruits and shores up their funding.

NASCO, a non-profit group founded in 1994 as the I-35 Corridor Coalition, represents cities, counties, states, provinces and private-sector members devoted to maximizing the efficiency and operations of the existing U.S. Interstate Highways 35, 29 and 94 (the NASCO SuperCorridor) and the inter-modal inland ports that NASCO has inspired to sprout along them. Never have our efforts been more needed or been more urgent.

As U.S. Federal Highway Administrators and state road association leaders clearly understand, the United States, in general, and our corridor through its heartland in particular, face daunting challenges in adapting to absorb the coming tsunami of burgeoning cargo-freight tonnage. U.S. studies forecast national freight tonnage to increase nearly 70% by 2020. General cargo tonnage is projected to more than double, with some key freight gateways expected to see a tripling in freight volumes between 1998 and 2020.

As the demand for freight transportation grows, so will its overall contribution to national economies and its challenges to highway capacity, congestion and the local environments. In 1970, international trade represented just 12% of U.S. gross domestic product (GDP). By 2000, trade surged to 25% of U.S. GDP. U.S. economists, however, expect trade to leap to 35% or more of U.S. GDP by 2020.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Even saying there could be a super highway is so stupid it's hard for me to begin to address. I'm glad you posted the thread.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Yet, there are plans in the works for an enlarged limited access highway running along the I-35 route up to KC.

Is is a coincedence that such plans were announced w/ respect to the NAFTA?