NAACP wants Georgia's Stone Mountain carving removed

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sorry, I was "dumbing things down for you" because that seems like your MO. So, I'm not going to do that. I'm going to show how fucking stupid you are. Here we go:

"Let me dumb this down for you," as you said earlier.

See, that is exactly the mode from which you began this stupid thread. The NAACP is exactly like ISIS because "they both destroy--or want to destroy--things that they don't like." You dumbed it down to a level where only idiots would agree with you. That is what happens when you "dumb things down." Especially things as complex as ISIS and the more than 400 year history of race relations in this country. "Dumbing down" is what happens when you ignore the relevant details of two complex issues and try to construct a pus-addled talking point that appeals only to simpletons.

You ignored the manner by which groups and individuals act which, in the case of ISIS, is exactly and exclusively why we dislike them, and distilled the entirely of their movement and their organization into a single one of the many ideas for which they claim to stand.

The NAACP has done nothing here, yet this press conference has made them exactly like ISIS because they mentioned that something needs to be removed. Not destroyed, exploded, shattered into bits, burned...raped, beheaded, murdered, beaten, tortured...oh I lost track--but removed. Exactly. ...like ISIS.

Further, when you try to make this analogy, when you try to say this group is the same as that group, you have to use a comparison for which you can't so easily say this about any group that is out there; and especially not the groups whose acknowledgement would be rather embarrassing to you:

Those hipsters that burned all of those Disco records are exactly like ISIS!
Those dumbshit WASP parents who destroyed all those Beatles records are exactly like ISIS!
Those GOP nutbags that want to destroy Planned Parenthood are exactly like ISIS!
etc.

So, you know why none of these groups, and certainly not the NAACP are anything like ISIS? It's because they aren't going out and murdering, raping, kidnapping, terrorizing, waiting for the apocalyptic war to destroy the earth (well, there indeed are some in the GOP tend that are giddy over that prospect--which is exactly why they want to go to war).

You say that actions are irrelevant, that ideas are always more important than the manner by which one pursues those ideas, and that your comparison is sound.

Sensible people know not only that you are wrong about this assessment, but that you present yourself as a fool when trying to defend your argument.

In short: you have, indeed, gone full retard.

Outhouse just got owned, Does that make you a slave master? :eek:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Guess we should have kept those "whites only" signs since there was historical significance

Also heard the Swastika may make a comeback. Because its historical.

eh, signs arent as significant as carvings.

i still don't see the big deal over swastikas though. it's not a german thing, it's an asian thing. they're all over japan.

i still say it's history, keep it around.

Last edited:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
eh, signs arent as significant as carvings

i still don't see the big deal over swastikas though. it's not a german thing, it's an asian thing.

You have to understand. Some here think this is nothing more than a "whites only" carving. So making a comparison like that is reasonable to them.

Feb 4, 2009
eh, signs arent as significant as carvings.

i still don't see the big deal over swastikas though. it's not a german thing, it's an asian thing. they're all over japan.

i still say it's history, keep it around.

Isn't the Asian one similar to the native American one, they predate the German version and carry entirely different meaning?
I'm not so educated about this so tell me if I am wrong.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Isn't the Asian one similar to the native American one, they predate the German version and carry entirely different meaning?
I'm not so educated about this so tell me if I am wrong.

yeah the asian one is very ancient, i think they've found then from 10000 BC. stands for good luck.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
it has historic significance - it shouldn't be torn down.

the american south was no worse than many civilizations (ancient and modern) who we preserve artifacts for.

that's like saying tear down assyrian buildings because they were a violent warrior culture, or destroy incan artifacts because they sacrified children to the gods.

The pyramids have to go.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
The pyramids have to go.

i know! egypt wiped out so many civilizations.

it's interesting that it wasn't a big deal back then to wipe out a society. it was just life. every border was a warzone most of the time, and civilizations were always getting obliterated.

if you were lucky the conquerors would just take over the area and let you survive as a new member of the society. if you weren't lucky, you'd either become a slave, servant, or just get killed en masse.

i think genghis khan supposedly had 1 million people killed overnight once.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm all for adding Outkast

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/16/us/georgia-stone-mountain-outkast-confederate-monument/index.html

F3V0L43.jpg

Signed. :D

Nov 25, 2013
You have to understand. Some here think this is nothing more than a "whites only" carving. So making a comparison like that is reasonable to them.

You mean it was built for black folks? As what, a celebration of how good life was for slaves?

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
You mean it was built for black folks? As what, a celebration of how good life was for slaves?

Not being a "whites only" sign doesn't automatically make it a "for blacks" sign. Race wasn't even a consideration for that monument. But you knew that.

Nov 25, 2013
Not being a "whites only" sign doesn't automatically make it a "for blacks" sign. Race wasn't even a consideration for that monument. But you knew that.

A monument celebrating 3 of the generals of the Slaver's Rebellion and it's not about race. ok.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Remember, we're arguing with conservatives, the biggest victims in the world.

So, even though most of us popped into the thread to say, lol, NAACP, no one cares, they have to turn it around so that all of us libruuls are trying to destroy the South, Southern Heritage, and 'Merica, really.

What they're actually worried about is what you're talking about, though.

Not that the big bad NAACP or the "PC Police" have the ability to destroy the carving.

But that society as a whole will actually see what all of these monuments represent, and it won't be overlooked as just some carving, or some flag.

And it makes them very, very upset. And of course, victims.

Angry Irishman

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2010
Remember, we're arguing with conservatives, the biggest victims in the world.

So, even though most of us popped into the thread to say, lol, NAACP, no one cares, they have to turn it around so that all of us libruuls are trying to destroy the South, Southern Heritage, and 'Merica, really.

What they're actually worried about is what you're talking about, though.

Not that the big bad NAACP or the "PC Police" have the ability to destroy the carving.

But that society as a whole will actually see what all of these monuments represent, and it won't be overlooked as just some carving, or some flag.

And it makes them very, very upset. And of course, victims.

Feel better now?