• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

N3050 (Braswell) mini review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NTMBK

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2011
That's... kind of a shame, that they would build a big desktop tower, and put such a weak, low-power, tablet-class CPU in a desktop PC.

Oh, oh, but... it says "Intel Inside!"

Edit: I guess, if you buy PCs at Walmart, you're not too savvy.

Edit: I didn't mean you, personally, waltchan, I meant more the "royal you (we)". Aka the average Walmart customer, that doesn't know jack about PC specs or processor codenames.
Intel are doing a great job of driving their name into the dirt with these underpowered devices. "This gigantic Intel garbage feels slower than my cellphone!" I know that they can't control what the OEMs do, but... this is the exact same thing that gave AMD APUs a bad rep. (Full sized desktops with Bobcat processors.)

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
@waltchan - Does your laptop come with an HD or an SSD? And how heavy is it?

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
So with ebooks I can squeeze out around 9hrs +/- 30min battery life with brightness at 40% or so. Was expecting a bit more, but Asus did only stick a 2 cell in this one. Otherwise satisfied and this does appear to be completely fanless and dead silent.

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
So with ebooks I can squeeze out around 9hrs +/- 30min battery life with brightness at 40% or so. Was expecting a bit more, but Asus did only stick a 2 cell in this one. Otherwise satisfied and this does appear to be completely fanless and dead silent.
You think Asus is a generous company? NOPE...there's more greed in Asus than you think it is. :wub: Why did Asus no longer offer Celeron core notebooks after Celeron 1007u Ivy Bridge (they saved money not going with 1037u)? In the Lenovo 3215u I have, it has 4-cell battery, so battery life is going to be the same as yours due to increased CPU power consumption.

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
@waltchan - Does your laptop come with an HD or an SSD? And how heavy is it?
It comes with a Western Digital 500gb mechanical hard drive and weights like any standard 15.6" notebook but without DVD drive. It comes with matte screen instead of glossy screen, a rare finding here.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Update near a year later:

Don't buy any laptop with eMMC. The CPU might be passable for basic tasks but the storage lets it down badly. BADLY. Anything hitting the disk will bog it down and even opening up an Explorer window will lag. Chrome tabs also stutter. Considering throwing it in the bin and buying a "real" laptop with an i5, even with a poky 5400RPM spinner.

Mar 10, 2006
Intel are doing a great job of driving their name into the dirt with these underpowered devices. "This gigantic Intel garbage feels slower than my cellphone!" I know that they can't control what the OEMs do, but... this is the exact same thing that gave AMD APUs a bad rep. (Full sized desktops with Bobcat processors.)
People tend to buy PCs based on what they are willing to pay. Better to sell the $250 junk today and maybe get a sale of a higher end Core processor tomorrow (when customer realizes that they want more performance) than to sell nothing...

ASK THE COMMUNITY