n00b questions about AC adapters

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
1. If a device requires 850mA, will a 1.5 amp adapter work?
2. Are there devices that actually take AC power? This device says it requires 9VAC - is that 9 volts AC power? I assume not, because I can only find AC-to-DC adapters.

Thanks.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
IIRC, I've seen 9VAC adapters in wall wort form, but don't quote me on that. As far as the Amps, I've had sucess as long as the rating of the wall wart is above the power requirement of the equpiment.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
1. Yes, as long as the voltage is the same - the device will only use as much current as it needs.

2. Yep, in that case the adapter is just a transformer - whatever you hook it up to will convert it to DC.

coaster831

Feb 9, 2006
1- Yes, an adapter capable of delivering higher amperage will work if the polarity is correct (ie- if the device is expecting a tip + supply, make sure the adapter is the same, and vice versa).

2- There are devices that run off of 9 VAC power (and higher voltages) and power supplies that deliver it (they are harder to find though, and typically slightly more expensive). Don't run DC devices off of AC and vice versa.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
So... does anyone know if the original NES model actually runs off AC power? All the adapters on eBay that supposedly work are AC-to-DC, but this one is AC output.

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
I believe they would have to run on DC, since any capacitors would discharge every AC cycle, I believe.
I think it's a safe bet to go with that one.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Toastedlightly
I have a top loading nintendo, lemmie see.

Mine is AC9V for its power.
Does the power adapter actually say that the output is AC, or is that just what the machine says?