N.Y.C. Freedom Tower B.A.S.E. Jump

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Anyone else hope that these morons' chutes don't open and we get to see and hear them hit the pavement, screaming?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Facing years of jail time. And, I'd imagine some sort of security is going to be butt hurt enough to make sure they serve some time.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Great BASE Jump. However the authorities are going to make them pay for exposing their poor security.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
What's the deal with this tower, again? Is it done? Or still under construction?

It'd be pretty fucked up if they got serious punishment for this. I'm sure the go-to analogy for throwing the book at them will be something like: 'Well, what if they broke into a nuclear plant just because they wanted to look around' or some shit like that. But in reality it's more like one of the following-

What if you walked into a public office building and jumped off the top? (Not sure what the crime would be, but I doubt you would serve time for it)

What if you wandered around an average commercial construction site without any intent on nefarious behavior? (Trespassing charge, probably probation at worst?)

To treat this different because 'OMG WTC' is fucked up.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
It's too bad they are getting a felony over this, yet you see Russians climb that China skyscraper and shit. I heard on the news that one of the jumpers knew the security guard there. So that's how he got in.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
It's too bad they are getting a felony over this, yet you see Russians climb that China skyscraper and shit. I heard on the news that one of the jumpers knew the security guard there. So that's how he got in.

I have to laugh at the charge of endangering themselves. Punishing somebody for taking a willing risk.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I have to laugh at the charge of endangering themselves. Punishing somebody for taking a willing risk.

If they land on someone, it's not just a risk to themselves. You can't have people self-regulate for things like this.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
If they land on someone, it's not just a risk to themselves. You can't have people self-regulate for things like this.

That's the thing, there are risks to people other than yourself involved. My old roommate is a skydiver. His instructed jumped solo one day & got blown all the way into traffic by strong wind. Kissed a semi-truck doing 80 MPH head-on. She died instantly, but the driver now has to live with that image in his mind for the rest of his life.

I think it's cool to do stuff like this, but it's only cool until someone gets injured or killed, and you can never predict when that's going to happen. I mean, look at the Paul Walker crash...it was bad enough they both lost their lives from horsing around in their sports car, something everyone has done in their car at some point in their life, but imagine if they had hit a bus stop or a kid on the sidewalk or something, you know?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

If they land on somebody then charge them for it. A charge of Endangering themselves is laughable.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
This tower has had numerous security breaches. I could have sworn some 16 year old kid was busted last week. What kind of messed up security company do they have running this project? If I recall they said that they had spent $40,000,000 on security yet all these guys sneak in with no problems whatsoever.

JManInPhoenix

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2013
This tower has had numerous security breaches. I could have sworn some 16 year old kid was busted last week. What kind of messed up security company do they have running this project? If I recall they said that they had spent $40,000,000 on security yet all these guys sneak in with no problems whatsoever.

You get what you pay for. Rent a cops make McDonalds wages...

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Hur-dur-derp, ahm adven-chur-in.

Take it to the fucking wilderness, mountains or airplane. Leave the godamn city life alone. We don't want your thrill seeking stupidity.

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
They were obviously smart enough to get on the top of the building without getting caught. You would think they would have been smart enough to not show their faces in the video. Upload the video anonymously without revealing the date and time it happened (so the authorities wouldn't be able to review security camera footage). Destroy the parachutes and anything else that was seen in the video including what they wore that night. And finally, Not keep a copy of the video on their hard drive.....

Seems like it should have been pretty easy to get away with.

Feb 6, 2007
They were obviously smart enough to get on the top of the building without getting caught. You would think they would have been smart enough to not show their faces in the video. Upload the video anonymously without revealing the date and time it happened (so the authorities wouldn't be able to review security camera footage). Destroy the parachutes and anything else that was seen in the video including what they wore that night. And finally, Not keep a copy of the video on their hard drive.....

Seems like it should have been pretty easy to get away with.

Or they just could have not filmed it to begin with. If you're committing a crime with the intention of not being caught, not videotaping yourself committing the crime seems like a no-brainer.

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
But that would have defeated the purpose. They could have filmed it and edited their faces out later, and deleted the raw video.
Without knowing when it happened, or having a face or even a description, it would have been hard to figure out who those guys were, especially considering that they waited 6 months to post the video which was one smart thing they did.