N.Y.C. Freedom Tower B.A.S.E. Jump

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 6, 2007
But that would have defeated the purpose.

Fair enough, but it's pretty stupid in this day and age to film yourself committing a crime with the intention of showing everyone how cool you are and relying on the power of hope that the authorities don't find out about it.

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
True enough, and that seems to be what they did considering they did almost nothing to cover their tracks.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
How did they get caught? I would have created a new YouTube account using a VPN for the E-mail address and the YouTube account.

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
They showed their face in the video. But what most likely got them caught is that they revealed the date and time when they made the jump. So it was most likely a simple matter of reviewing security camera footage from that particular date and time.

Without so much as a face or an estimated timeframe as to when it happened would have made it much more difficult for law enforcement to figure out who they were.

Could have uploaded it on a VPN, public wifi, or even released it on the 'deep web' and let it naturally spread to the rest of the internet. Any of those methods would have easily provided them with online anonymity.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
They didn't show their face in the video and in fact the only face you see in the video is at the end and the guy was wearing a masked hood. It was dark in the beginning and you can't see shit.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Really? What a shitty thing to say.

Want to jump out of a perfectly serviceable airplane?
Fine...odds are, you paid to do it. Happy landing.

Want to base jump off a cliff some place where you don't have to trespass on someone else's land to do it...or to land?
Fine...again, you probably paid for the privilege.

Want to fuck up traffic to base jump off a public bridge?
Nope...hope you go to jail...or spat on the rocks below.

Want to trespass into a building to base jump onto city streets?
Hope you go to jail...or die screaming as you hit the streets below...and the video catches it all.

I don't have a problem with parachuting...or MOST people who practice the sport. It's the assholes who think they have the right to do whatever they want, where ever they want, that I have a problem with.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013

Want to base jump off a cliff some place where you don't have to trespass on someone else's land to do it...or to land?

Hope you go to jail...or die screaming as you hit the streets below...and the video catches it all.

I don't have a problem with parachuting...or MOST people who practice the sport. It's the assholes who think they have the right to do whatever they want, where ever they want, that I have a problem with.

Slow down there, old fart. Go easy on your 33.6 modem.

Vaux

May 24, 2013
Anyone else hope that these morons' chutes don't open and we get to see and hear them hit the pavement, screaming?

We saw enough of that on 9-11, don't need to see any more people falling from the WTC.

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012

Holier then thou judgemental prick is a holier than thou judgemental prick.

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010
Wow! Some harsh assessments here. While I would never do this, it certainly has a certain cool factor to it.

As Americans we used to be brave and bold, now we've allowed all the "what if?" lawyer bullshit enter our psyche and make us into a bunch of pussies.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
If they land on somebody then charge them for it. A charge of Endangering themselves is laughable.

Bit late for the person they land on, no? There are reasons why we have laws about endangering others rather than just waiting till the drunk driver or whatever actually kills someone.

Also if these things go wrong someone has to clear up the mess - its a public street, you aren't allowed to splatter yourself all over it.

Still, it does seem like the bigger issue is the poor security, and these sorts of crimes aren't really the ones that are most in need of severe deterrents - not many people would be inclined to commit them even if they regularly went entirely unpunished.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Holier then thou judgemental prick is a holier than thou judgemental prick.
Pot meet kettle. The problem with these stunts is the sheer selfishness of them. They do not think about others reactions (including the bystanders who may freak out, may cause accidents, may react poorly), the compulsory police investigation, the waste of man hours, nothing. They do it and while the feat is cool, the event does not end there.

Or are you saying there should be no investigation?

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004

I agree with your basic premise. If someone does a BASE jump they should be prepared to go to jail if caught. There are only a handful of places in the US where it is legal. That said, wishing someone death is over the top.

To all the people questioning why they put the video up...they released the video AFTER they had been arrested. No point in keeping the video to themselves at that point.

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
You get what you pay for. Rent a cops make McDonalds wages...

That's not true for these big buildings. A lot of them hire off duty or ex police and FBI. They can make $100,000 or more a year. The overtime especially is crazy high. That's why the cops work the extra hours at these places when not on duty.

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
Pot meet kettle. The problem with these stunts is the sheer selfishness of them. They do not think about others reactions (including the bystanders who may freak out, may cause accidents, may react poorly), the compulsory police investigation, the waste of man hours, nothing. They do it and while the feat is cool, the event does not end there.

Or are you saying there should be no investigation?
Don't get your pot kettle reference but...
It was done at 3am when there was virtually no traffic. You can't guarantee people aren't going to freak out over dumb crap and yes I agree that they took a risk and that they should be prepared to face whatever consequences associated with that risk. The point I was making was that most of us who are human are guilty of doing something irresponsible or stupid at some point in our youth. But I know, this is the internet where everything is everybody else's business and we can all pretend that were experts on anything and everything who have done no wrong in our lives just so that we can express the harshest judgement on others. Personally, I would have rooted for then to get away with it. But I don't feel bad for then getting caught either.
Selfishness in small doses is a virtue.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2001
So I get that people are all butt hurt about these kids breaking into the WTC, but where was the outrage when the 2 Russians did it to the Shanghai Tower? And did those 2 Russians ever get caught? Doubt it.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
The point I was making was that most of us who are human are guilty of doing something irresponsible or stupid at some point in our youth.
If I did something as stupid and irresponsible as that, I sure as shit wouldn't post it on the Internet.

railer

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2000

So...who gives a shit what you think about anything?
You are just another anonymous coward complaining on an internet forum, while doing nothing.

Those guys have balls of steel. May they have a $50 fine levied against them and be on their way.

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
If I did something as stupid and irresponsible as that, I sure as shit wouldn't post it on the Internet.

Good for you :).

Though I would jay that jumping off the Freedom Tower at 3 am is mostly benign when compared to some of the other stupid crap that teenagers and young adults regularly do.

Just to name a few off the top of my head; Drag racing/driving way too fast, drunken driving, hard drugs, binge drinking. These are all activities that are far more dangerous (and put many others at risk) than what was done in that video; and yet young people do them everyday. And chances are, most of us here are guilty of doing some of these things. I know that I am.

The reason people are whining about this is because it's not something you see every day so therefore it must be so much worse than anything else that we have done ourselves.

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
So...who gives a shit what you think about anything?
You are just another anonymous coward complaining on an internet forum, while doing nothing.

Those guys have balls of steel. May they have a $50 fine levied against them and be on their way.

Lol, it's New York. They're probably looking at jail time.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Bit late for the person they land on, no? There are reasons why we have laws about endangering others rather than just waiting till the drunk driver or whatever actually kills someone.

Also if these things go wrong someone has to clear up the mess - its a public street, you aren't allowed to splatter yourself all over it.

Still, it does seem like the bigger issue is the poor security, and these sorts of crimes aren't really the ones that are most in need of severe deterrents - not many people would be inclined to commit them even if they regularly went entirely unpunished.

And yet with these laws of endangering oneself people continue to endanger one self. Clearly it doesn't stop people from endangering themselves or others. I find the ability of the state to charge you with endangering oneself utterly stupid.

Like I said if they actually hurt somebody or even endanger somebody else. Then charge them with that crime. These video's I didnt see anybody in danger except the people jumping off a building.