N.C. homeless shelter evicts pregnant woman, three sons

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002
people assume the kids are from the same man

my wife is a social worker and has seen numerous hispanic women with multiple children all of whom had different last names

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: alent1234
people assume the kids are from the same man

my wife is a social worker and has seen numerous hispanic women with multiple children all of whom had different last names

The visiting man & women were the paternal uncle & aunt of all three children (if you believe the article), so clearly only one biological father is involved.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: aidanjm
if she had an uncle visit her why is she homeless? What did she do to have her family turn their back on her?

I find it very interesting that people are so quick to judge this woman, but not a single person has asked where the father of the three kids is. The woman is dismissed as a slut, irresponsible, whatever - but no one asks about the father. Why is that?

The father(s) are obviously scumbags also. Where are they allowing their children to be homeless? Very good question. Clearly it's because this is a Red state.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
if she had an uncle visit her why is she homeless? What did she do to have her family turn their back on her?

It is the paternal uncle. They are biological family to the father of the children, not the mother.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: russianpower
Originally posted by: Siddhartha
What would Jesus say about turning out a pregnant woman and her three children?

She should be steriled...

Tough nuggies...

Rules are rules...

I am looking up Jesus' teachings right now. But I have heard he was real big on treating your neighbors the way you want to be treated.

Evicting a pregnant woman on Christmas Eve seems definately very heartless to me.:|:(:disgust:

Awww, I see you're from the Blue State of Massachusetts, don't worry you'll find out soon enough this is the proper American Christian thing to do now.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: alchemize
The father(s) are obviously scumbags also. Where are they allowing their children to be homeless? Very good question. Clearly it's because this is a Red state.
Obviously. There's no way in hell he doesn't know that they are homeless or that he may be dead. No way in hell I tell you. Alchy is right, it's obvious he is a scumbag. Obviously.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
21 year old w/ 3 children + 1 on the way.
Oldest kid is 5. Based on the names, I would suspect that she is black.

4 children in six years is not being responsible.
It would be intersting to know what her background is.

If she is able to stay with her mother over the holiday, then it does not sound like she got pregnant to get out the her parent's house. She may have been smitten by a older boy showering her with attention as a young teanager.

The big question is where is the father and father's family w/ relation to support the girl.
Father could easily be a deadbeat, however, relatives feel that the children should not suffer because ot the faults of the parents.

/edit additional info

Something is missing regarding the complete story becoming available.

Shelter defense in another article
Garland said she was also late with her $50 donation this month.

"She's taking up four beds," Robinson said. "That means we have to turn others away."

In 2002 Valan Garland was the pizza-eating winner

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: russianpower
Originally posted by: Siddhartha
What would Jesus say about turning out a pregnant woman and her three children?

She should be steriled...

Tough nuggies...

Rules are rules...

I am looking up Jesus' teachings right now. But I have heard he was real big on treating your neighbors the way you want to be treated.

Evicting a pregnant woman on Christmas Eve seems definately very heartless to me.:|:(:disgust:

Awww, I see you're from the Blue State of Massachusetts, don't worry you'll find out soon enough this is the proper American Christian thing to do now.

Aww, I see you're from the Blue State of Massachusetts, don't worry you'll find out soon enough this is the proper American thing to do now.

Fixed.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Gaard
Originally posted by: alchemize
Obviously. There's no way in hell he doesn't know that they are homeless or that he may be dead. No way in hell I tell you. Alchy is right, it's obvious he is a scumbag. Obviously.
I suppose what you propose is a theoretical possibility. I'd bet large sums of money you are wrong.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Why did not the AP provide more details of the story instead of treating it as a scrooge.

It would have been very easy to report a couple of questions that anyone would have raised.
1) Where is the father?
2) Why did the girl not go to the mother previously?
3) What qualifications does the girl have? She has a vehicle and is driving the oldest child to school.
4) What/where is her income?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Why did not the AP provide more details of the story instead of treating it as a scrooge.

It would have been very easy to report a couple of questions that anyone would have raised.
1) Where is the father?
3) What qualifications does the girl have? She has a vehicle and is driving the oldest child to school.

yup the article is missing the whole story.

but I still don't think jesus himself would have thrown that family out into the streets, not even on a bad day.

sad situation.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: OrByte
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper

1) Where is the father?

yup the article is missing the whole story.

but I still don't think jesus himself would have thrown that family out into the streets, not even on a bad day.

sad situation.

The AP slanted the story. It will be interesting if additional info is available?