Myths stereotypes surrounding welfare / welfare recipients

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
so do you have anything to add? or just ranting?

As if our usual fringe-whacks have actually "added" anything at all other than a self righteous cacophony intended to make themselves feel good about their own shortcomings, as if there is some depth to their intellects beyond participation in a self indulgent circle jerk of derision for their fellow man, particularly for the weakest among us.

Nov 8, 2012
Are there any statistics on what percentage of people currently on welfare are scamming the system? All I'm seeing are anecdotes and personal feelings.

Yes, check out this recent study that goes over everything.

It gathered all of it's evidence and study from recent pollings of people that admitted to pulling welfare dollars out of ATMs, and then spending it on lavish materials such as alcohol, ciggarettes, and/or drugs. It's quite chilling, take a look! :D

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
As if our usual fringe-whacks have actually "added" anything at all other than a self righteous cacophony intended to make themselves feel good about their own shortcomings, as if there is some depth to their intellects beyond participation in a self indulgent circle jerk of derision for their fellow man, particularly for the weakest among us.

ya ya, we are all fringe, all ~49% of the country is fringe.

I actually pointed out in this thread, how someone is better off making ~29k and getting welfare for their family, VS making ~57k and not getting the benefits.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Are there any statistics on what percentage of people currently on welfare are scamming the system? All I'm seeing are anecdotes and personal feelings.

Wanna know what kind of loser a conservative is? Listen to them project themselves onto those which they percieve as weaker. Its a cowardly cult of sociopathic insular clowns.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2012
Wanna know what kind of loser a conservative is? Listen to them project themselves onto those which they percieve as weaker. Its a cowardly cult of sociopathic insular clowns.

That's the same thing that you do to Conservatives. You're a pathetic excuse for a human being and a piece of shit for what you are doing.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Part of the problem is you would first have to determine what constitutes "scamming the system"?

Is a woman who has bastard children with 3 men (2 of whom are in prison) scamming the system according to the letter of the law? No.

Is she morally scamming the system? Absolutely.

Apr 27, 2012
Part of the problem is you would first have to determine what constitutes "scamming the system"?

Is a woman who has bastard children with 3 men (2 of whom are in prison) scamming the system according to the letter of the law? No.

Is she morally scamming the system? Absolutely.

That is scamming the system but because of moron liberals the laws were changed.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
food_stamps.jpg

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
2) Another myth about people who are poor or are on welfare benefits is that they do not pay taxes.

Poor or on welfare? How do you pay taxes on money that came from taxes? Sure you could pay taxes with other peoples tax money, but you are absolutely not generating value of your own and then letting uncle sam take a cut.

And although the fraud by welfare vendors is terrible, it is a drop in the bucket compared to the burdens on the American taxpayer of military fraud, government waste, and corporate welfare.

Welfare is a government program so how in your mind, since you claim to be factual/logical, do you defend a government program by saying the fraud isn't on behalf of the people getting benefits its on part of the government. I have no stigma against the actual people on welfare, I just don't think it should exist to begin with.

Supporting welfare is a burden causing financial hardship to working class Americans.

It is, because no matter how many times money is shuffled around, there are like 1.5-2.5 people working per American who receives some type of government check to subsist on. Thats actual work. 2-3 people work, 1 sits around and watches TV all day consuming. Forget about the money, they can arbitrarily shuffle it around all they want.

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
The neighbor across the street had three checks under false names and all her kids were on too. The father was a cook on a merchant ship. They made more than anyone on the block.

This is why the foodstamp program should be closed. People like this. Maybe it would be different if DSS had a department all the neighbors on the street could have called for matters of welfare fraud, or maybe it would be different if there were charges and consequences for manipulating the welfare system in such a way that could result in an end for benefits permanently in addition to making the parties responsible pay back their ill gotten gains. But until such a day comes and such provisions exist, the program should be disbanded for all.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Here is a news article for you here http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...9ZVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=K-ADAAAAIBAJ&pg=4138,2275149

The same people who believe in the Welfare Queen myth also believe that people on government assistance are out blowing all that “free money” on iPhones, fancy shoes and lobster. In truth, the government provides pre-paid phones to low-income people who take part in welfare-to-work programs.

Obviously this is anecdotal but I personally know at the very least a dozen examples. The requirement for .gov phones is absurdly low and I personally know at least a dozen people who got them even though they already had cell phones simply because they are free. Why the hell not, right? Ironically, at least a few of those people use their .gov phones exclusively for cheating on their spouse.

With that said, I personally think that this is far more of a "welfare system" for the phone carriers than for the people. Its absurd how the providers are working the system, paying just about anyone who has the means a set rate per person they get signed up. You literally have people pushing these phones to people that tried to say no because they didn't need it. Most people can be talked into taking something for free that they might eventually have a use for.