Mythos

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I agree. I started and it was fun for a while. Then you get through the too few scripted quests and the game just gets stuck in neutral. The "random" quests suck, you never feel like you're accomplishing anything. It's just "go here, kill boss, return" repeated ad infinitum. I got bored and quit. Act II came out and I tried again. Exactly the same thing. I quit again. Act III was still more of the same. Get through the decent scripted quests and it's instant boredom. I was hoping the overworld would change things, but it made them worse. It's still the same futile "why bother" quests as before, but now you have to waste even more time walking to them.

I'd rather play trash like Dungeon Siege or Titan Quest. At least with those games you have a sense of working towards a purpose, not just running around blindly because there's ah heck-all to do.

Well I don't mind the "grind" of it too much, but when they introduced the OW they completely nerfed epics IMO. #1 there is NO WAY you can die on a normal quest unless you are dumb, blind or asleep. Regular quests, from start to finish are just WAY too easy. So before the OW you did epic quests by yourself and it was mass destruction and you always had a good chance of dying. You could gamble even higher and take a Epic that was 1-2 levels higher than yourself and make it even harder.

Now in the OW the Epics are IMPOSSIBLE to do solo. I can take an epic 1-2 levels lower than my character and not make it past the stairway in. You just get creamed and can't do any damage. So you NEED to party up for epics, however you NEED a Tank character to make it through still. 2-3 gadgeteers could not do a Epic together. They will get creamed. While I commend them for trying to force my partying (as that was where the true fun in the Beta Server was with Epics, their method of trying to promote parties has failed IMO.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Wow, what a mess. Feel sorry for those poor saps that paid for a lifetime Hellgate sub, assuming the immininent demise of Flagship is true of course.

My mind truly wobbles when thinking of the fact they could have had a pretty great success on their hands if they had just been able to hold off on release for another two months or so. Now it is all, apparently, crumbling at their feet. Sad really.

KT

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Wow. There is no official word from FSS yet (probably Monday), but either way I don't think this can turn out good. It stinks such a talented team's first product wasn't too great. Seems like a few more months of work and they could've avoided the big mess with Hellgate. Like Max Schaefer said in an interview, they tried to do too much with Hellgate as a studio with no existing technologies.

But still, how could they be out of money? I read that EA said there was over 1 million active Hellgate subscribers?! I understand that the game sales don't provide a whole lot of money to the developers, but still that would mean they sold well over a million copies, and had many hundred of thousands of subscriptions. They aren't that big of a studio, how could that not be enough funding for continue Hellgate support and their one other game, Mythos, which has a relatively tiny team.

Why wouldn't their US publisher EA not jump in and provide the funding so that they didn't have to give up their IP to the creditor Hanbitsoft? Or even another large publisher. You'd think with all of the press that Mythos has gotten that it wouldn't take that much for someone to realize its potential and provide the funding.

Assuming it is true, that everyone was laid off, that Mythos IP is owned by Hanbitsoft, I suspect someone like Travis Baldree and some others could get rehired and continue, but doubtful the whole team would. And that stinks since the group has been so open with the community, constantly helping, listening to suggestions, everything. A really dedicated and talented bunch. So even if some of them get rehired to continue Mythos development, there would still be a lot of new developers from Hanbitsoft, so I'm not too confident it will turn out like they wanted it to.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Chronoshock
Originally posted by: Homerboy
I'll one up you
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/n...aff-Fired-All-I-P-Lost

Well if Taylor Balbi did indeed said that then it's legit. Let's hope Mythos survives in some form

Oh snap:
http://forums.hellgatelondon.c...1126324&postcount=1392
He didn't say that and ve3d is just plain lying lol. There are other posts by devs in the past day refuting the rumor as well.

With no official comment from FSS, other than the "official unofficial" they are all lies comments. The rumors are more likely to be true than not. Looking at various sources, it appears at the very least a lot of their key designers are no longer with the company. The only thing I can see being wrong is who ends up with what IP. Its obvious FSS doesnt have the cash to continue.