Mythic & BioWare merge

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I have to agree with Lonyo.
Bioware got themselves a bad case of Consolitis and it hasnt cleared up yet. Mass Effect had an awesome story but rotten gameplay.
KOTOR 2 was rushed to get it into the stores, and I bet it sold 10 times as many console copies as Windows.
NWN started off bad (compared to Baldurs Gate) and has gone even further downhill.

At this point I am not too worried about them getting screwed up even worse. I have no emotional investment in Mass Effect 2. If it turns out alright I wil buy it. If it stinks I wont have been excited about it anyway.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Gothgar
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: Reckoner
At least Jacobs is out, but don't forget, this isn't the same Mythic team that created the old-school DAoC. It's the one that created the flop known as Warhammer.

I wonder if the merge will kill off the next UO expansion. There needs to be a a completely new UO game.

Unfortunately, you will NEVER see another Ultima game as long as the rights to the franchise rest with both Richard Garriott and EA. Little bit 'o history: When Garriott "left" (was asked to leave) Origin after Ultima IX, the rights to the Ultima franchise still was owned by Garriott. However, I assume for royalties' sake, he agreed to leave the current franchise with EA/Origin, but with the clause that neither he nor EA may make another franchise Ultima title without explicit permission of the other party. Hence, Garriott basically ensured that there would be no more Ultima anythings from EA, but it also meant that Garriott wouldn't be able to produce a new Ultima game with a different publisher.

Hence, Tabula Rasa was born. :( And died. :(

you forgot "and sucked terribly"

I enjoyed it.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: Reckoner
At least Jacobs is out, but don't forget, this isn't the same Mythic team that created the old-school DAoC. It's the one that created the flop known as Warhammer.

I wonder if the merge will kill off the next UO expansion. There needs to be a a completely new UO game.

Unfortunately, you will NEVER see another Ultima game as long as the rights to the franchise rest with both Richard Garriott and EA. Little bit 'o history: When Garriott "left" (was asked to leave) Origin after Ultima IX, the rights to the Ultima franchise still was owned by Garriott. However, I assume for royalties' sake, he agreed to leave the current franchise with EA/Origin, but with the clause that neither he nor EA may make another franchise Ultima title without explicit permission of the other party. Hence, Garriott basically ensured that there would be no more Ultima anythings from EA, but it also meant that Garriott wouldn't be able to produce a new Ultima game with a different publisher.

Hence, Tabula Rasa was born. :( And died. :(

Garriot owns the trademarks to several of the characters, but EA owns the rest of the IP. They could make an online game sans the characters. Infact they already do this in Ultima Online, all references to Garriots trademarked characters were removed quite a while ago.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
[I enjoyed it.

Enjoying something, and it being good, are not the same thing.

I enjoyed Master of Orion 3, but I never confused it with something that wasn't dismal awful failure.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Skott
MJ might have co founded Mythic and helped create DAoC but he's also the same guy that ruined it. Fans of that MMO will know what I'm talking about.

MJ finally got what he deserved. I believe in karma and it looks like it came and collected.
I was doubtful about the game because of what he did before the launch regarding those that had worked on the game. Anyone so petty to not allow peoples names to be in the games credits because they were not working there the day the game shipped, even if they had worked 2 years on the project and there work was in the game, should not be in charge of a MMORPG. It showed his ego and I wish I had listened to that little voice that told me "don't buy it, this guy is going to mess it up" . The last time I felt this way was in EQ1 with "The vision" comments. Players want something changed, "oh we can't , it isn't part of the the vision we have for the game"

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
on the topic of bioware putting out console ports... i honestly don't feel like the ME port felt like a port at all.

it seems to me like the amount of work that goes into MOST console ports is simply to make it at least RUN on a computer. they put no effort into polishing the UI, controls, etc. but to me at least it felt like bioware (or whoever they got to do the port for them) put a lot of work into giving it a polished PC feel.

i mean... how many console ports do you see that still have all the xbox related buttons in the config/UI? to me that's just plain fucking lazy.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: thujone
on the topic of bioware putting out console ports... i honestly don't feel like the ME port felt like a port at all.

it seems to me like the amount of work that goes into MOST console ports is simply to make it at least RUN on a computer. they put no effort into polishing the UI, controls, etc. but to me at least it felt like bioware (or whoever they got to do the port for them) put a lot of work into giving it a polished PC feel.

i mean... how many console ports do you see that still have all the xbox related buttons in the config/UI? to me that's just plain fucking lazy.

I have seen console ports that ship and if you go into the games directory on the hard drive there are files like cooked.xbox , readme files for the xbox. even saw one that had the xbox startup video in the pc video directory. Shows that all they did is get it to run,they could have cared less if it was any good.