Mystery solved - hydroxichloronique maker paid $1 million to Michael Cohen

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010

It just so happens that one of the largest manufacturers of the drug, Novartis, previously paid Trump’s now-incarcerated former personal attorney Michael Cohen more than $1 million for healthcare policy insight following Trump’s election in 2016.

Well there you have it folks. This is why Trump keeps hyping a drug with no proven effectiveness against COVID-19.

• Wow
Reactions: Ken g6 and cytg111

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Well there you have it folks. This is why Trump keeps hyping a drug with no proven effectiveness against COVID-19.
I saw this earlier today. I didn't post it because it will just be lost in the noise. What do you think our daily briefings are about.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Not surprised in the least.
Fn "Dr. Oz" is on Fox right now doing the, all the doctors are taking it, this side effect thing is overblown, ect. Yep. No communication coordination. No state news. No siree.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Fn "Dr. Oz" is on Fox right now doing...

That's just one example... do continue....

Sean Hannity: Gov. Cuomo, stop denying New Yorkers hydroxychloroquine
Enough is enough. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo needs to IMMEDIATELY lift his pharmacy ban that is forcing New Yorkers stricken by the coronavirus into an already overburdened hospital system to get the potentially life-saving drug hydroxychloroquine.

The Conservative Brain Trust is all in, and thus Republicans are clamoring for the COVID-19 cure that Democrats are denying them.

Reactions: KMFJD

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Michigan Dem lawmaker describes how Trump's boosting of hydroxychloroquine 'saved my life'
State Rep. Karen Whitsett of Detroit told "The Ingraham Angle" on Monday that if it wasn't for Trump pushing the drug through the Food and Drug Administration's approval process for off-label use and touting it repeatedly during his daily press briefings, she may not have made it through the terrible contagion.
"I really want to say that you have to give this an opportunity," she said. "For me, it saved my life. I only can go by what it is that I have gone through and what my story is, and I can't speak for anyone else. So that's not what I'm trying to do here. I'm only speaking for myself."

BTW...
How many anecdotes does it take before it is proven?
If we wait a year (or longer) for a peer reviewed study to affirm, and it does... Democrats would be setting themselves up to own almost every death from COVID-19.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Michigan Dem lawmaker describes how Trump's boosting of hydroxychloroquine 'saved my life'
State Rep. Karen Whitsett of Detroit told "The Ingraham Angle" on Monday that if it wasn't for Trump pushing the drug through the Food and Drug Administration's approval process for off-label use and touting it repeatedly during his daily press briefings, she may not have made it through the terrible contagion.
"I really want to say that you have to give this an opportunity," she said. "For me, it saved my life. I only can go by what it is that I have gone through and what my story is, and I can't speak for anyone else. So that's not what I'm trying to do here. I'm only speaking for myself."

BTW...
If we wait a year (or longer) for a peer reviewed study to affirm, and it does... Democrats would be setting themselves up to own almost every death from COVID-19.

How do you figure? By saying there's no good data for routine HCQ use right now? That's an absolute fact.

Sure, it may turn out to have some utility, but how would that be Democrats fault?

Unless you mean just politically, because most folks don't understand science or think rationally, in which case, sure, but.. How do you act on that?

Dec 10, 2005
If we wait a year (or longer) for a peer reviewed study to affirm, and it does... Democrats would be setting themselves up to own almost every death from COVID-19
Anecdotes are not data. These people are also getting supportive care - how do we know that the drug is what pushed them through? Why are we pressing to use medications with pretty severe side effects without actually confirming their efficacy? There are enough sick people that running a well controlled trial should be pretty straight forward. There also seem to be better leads than this one.

Edit:
I think it's pretty unethical to push for using medicines with an extremely unclear benefit and moderately clear safety risks.

Last edited:

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
LOTS of shilling on the internet over this.

And, Sweden is about to get smeared again: https://www.newsweek.com/swedish-hospitals-chloroquine-covid-19-side-effects-1496368
"There were reports of suspected more serious side effects than we first thought," he told the Gothenburg Post on April 1, 2020. "We cannot rule out serious side effects, especially from the heart, and it is a hard-dosed drug. In addition, we have no strong evidence that chloroquine has an effect on COVID-19."

So, the guy who stares into a solar eclipse, states windmills cause cancer and a slew of other shit I lost track of... is going to know what medicine is good for a pandemic he himself labeled a hoax?

Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, they have... and they will.

But, this is better than her e-mails, right?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

BTW...
So you trust Donald Trump over Dr Fauci? Anecdotes are not proof when it comes to drugs as a treatment. We also had a story of a woman who took the wrong version of it and killed her husband and almost herself so it's a wash. Why not let scientists take the lead on this? Clinical trials have been underway.

I wouldn't make a life or death decision based on the opinion of a pathological liar who has shown time and time again he does nothing unless it will benefit him.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm sure preliminary data from a proper study is going to spread well before it can be peer reviewed and published. The thought of giving plaquenil to a seriously ill person is dammed scary. It is far from a benign drug. Anecdotes are very dangerous and lead people toward serious confirmation biases when something is the wrong thing. The fact that it's being pushed by people with a known track record of profiting from the vulnerable and contempt toward regulatory environments gives me huge pause.

All that said, I hope it actually is effective in some way. We sure could use something, and even for example shortening hospital length of stay by 2 days could save a bunch of lives in the coming weeks.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm sure preliminary data from a proper study is going to spread well before it can be peer reviewed and published. The thought of giving plaquenil to a seriously ill person is dammed scary. It is far from a benign drug. Anecdotes are very dangerous and lead people toward serious confirmation biases when something is the wrong thing. The fact that it's being pushed by people with a known track record of profiting from the vulnerable and contempt toward regulatory environments gives me huge pause.

All that said, I hope it actually is effective in some way. We sure could use something, and even for example shortening hospital length of stay by 2 days could save a bunch of lives in the coming weeks.

Odds are we'll find at least a couple therapies (not necessarily these drugs either) but yeah this is enormously irresponsible. Our culture is susceptible to quick fix promises though and we've got no shortage of people doing the selling.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
How do you figure? By saying there's no good data for routine HCQ use right now? That's an absolute fact.

Sure, it may turn out to have some utility, but how would that be Democrats fault?

There is media out there running stories like this across the nation.

Nevada Governor Bars Malaria Drugs for Coronavirus Patients
Nevada's governor has signed an emergency order barring the use of anti-malaria drugs for someone who has the coronavirus.
There's a slew of Democrat Governors blocking access to "the cure". And Fox is pushing that hard.

Dec 10, 2005

Nevada's governor has signed an emergency order barring the use of anti-malaria drugs for someone who has the coronavirus.
There's a slew of Democrat Governors blocking access to "the cure". And Fox is pushing that hard.
Except it isn't a "cure". Maybe it's a bad political look, but it's the right thing to do. Leave the science to the professionals. Widespread off-label use of a drug of questionable and completely unproven efficacy is irresponsible.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Except it isn't a "cure". Maybe it's a bad political look, but it's the right thing to do. Leave the science to the professionals. Widespread off-label use of a drug of questionable and completely unproven efficacy is irresponsible.

I can't believe there are people that have to be told this.

Well, maybe I can.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Also governors who are seen taking effective action to save lives and not bullshitting their populations are enjoying high approval. Moves to protect this drug supply for the people who verifiably need it to manage existing conditions are unlikely to have any negative political repercussions, no matter what Fox News or Trump himself says.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Because who needs science when you have partisanship and corruption, amirite?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

Not much of a link in that article...

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Trump can't help himself...It's deep in his blood. He's a used car salesman, or a new drug salesman. He's a shameless promoter with no responsibility or scruples. He gives advice by shouting anecdote before evidence. This flim flaming nutjob says he is also eager to take it himself, even though we all know he wouldn't. It's all part of his sales pitch. The Huckster in Chief in his irresponsible spitballing is an example of why we have laws and limits on marketing and sales of prescription drugs to the public. This lifetime grifter and petty small time swindler is playing "doctor" on TV and doesn't think twice of the consequences.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
And some more interference from the Orange Menace.

And yet more information that Trump has a vested interest in this drug being used.