My windows 98 disc is unreadable...

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
Which totally sucks because I want to install windows 98. I've tried to clean it (skipDR) but it's not working and I'm not sure why this drive can't read the disc. M$ is charging $35 for me to call them which is bull and I'm wondering if they'd be able to just send me another CD rom instead. I know I could just download the ISO but I paid for 98 and I have the box and everything, I mind as well have an ilegit disc...

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
If you've still got the box and the original CD key, then I'd just download a working image. You're paying for use of the software, and since you have the original CD key (to a now damaged disc), the CD you use to install it with is irrelevant.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Back in the day Microsoft sold official Win98 licenses that did not include media. So no big deal, it's the COA that's worth the $$, not the install files.

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
I still can't figure out WHY I'm unable to read it. CD/DVD speed crash when attempting to do a scan on it, the disc was "just as scratched" as it was when I last used it and the installs were flawless before...