My son is a mathlete

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
What the hell is 'advanced math'? I remember taking trig and 'advanced math' in my junior year. I don't remember what we studied. Maybe it was 'pre-calculus'?

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I took cal my junior year and we didn't have any sort of "advanced math."

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Math wasn't important at my high school, Pre-Algebra was the highest level offered. That class was full, so my senior year I ended up taking a class that topped out with basic fractions.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
What the hell is 'advanced math'? I remember taking trig and 'advanced math' in my junior year. I don't remember what we studied. Maybe it was 'pre-calculus'?

For my "advanced math" it was mostly weird stuff that was very similiar to discrete math and various proofs. It was definitely interesting but I assume that it was put there because if we took Calculus BC junior year, we'd have nothing to do our senior year.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
For my "advanced math" it was mostly weird stuff that was very similiar to discrete math and various proofs. It was definitely interesting but I assume that it was put there because if we took Calculus BC junior year, we'd have nothing to do our senior year.

I took art so I could sit next to and hit on this unbelievably hot chick who was born in Jerusalem. Long curly perfect black hair, light olive skin, hypnotic brown eyes, permaboner ass & legs, very funny, outgoing, incredibly witty.

:awe:

I got her to give me nice long massages in art every monday using the excuse that full contact night I had each weekend left me sore :biggrin: That woman had magic hands.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
I took art so I could sit next to and hit on this unbelievably hot chick who was born in Jerusalem. Long curly perfect black hair, light olive skin, hypnotic brown eyes, permaboner ass & legs, very funny, outgoing, incredibly witty.

:awe:

I got her to give me nice long massages in art every monday using the excuse that full contact night I had each weekend left me sore :biggrin: That woman had magic hands.

I had no game in HS so there's no chance of that happening for me. :(

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Math wasn't important at my high school, Pre-Algebra was the highest level offered. That class was full, so my senior year I ended up taking a class that topped out with basic fractions.

you must be joking.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
my_kid_beat_up_your_honor_roll_student_bumper_sticker-p128776656456040132tmn6_210.jpg

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
Calculus BC in freshman year high school? That's a little much...

^LOL

It is advanced but not "extreme". This is because several schools in my area (Bay Area, CA) offer Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Advanced Calculus, Number Theory, and even Chaos Math/Game Theory for senior year students. To qualify for those classes, you have to complete 1 year of AP Calculus, preferably BC.

So many students still take Calc BC junior year but the 'advanced' students finish it in freshman year, then take the advanced math electives in sophomore and then begin to take math classes at local colleges to complete their "math" undergrad requirements. And, most of these 'advanced math' students are most likely math/physics majors anyway. So a lot of math, especially calculus is very important.

I have tutored some of these "advanced math" types and one of the kids who started to learn calculus (basic differentiation & integration) was in the 6th grade!!

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010

o_O wut?

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
He's a sophmore in HS and is taking Honors Alegebra II/Trig.

Hopefully he'll bring home some awards too.

Have we gotten this dumb? I am not trying to be a jerk but REALLY?

I am 32, and when I was a HS sophomore, all the kids good at math were taking pre-calculus. I took geometry in 10th grade and pre-cal in 11th grade.

Not to mention this was in the horrible South Carolina education system.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
^LOL

It is advanced but not "extreme". This is because several schools in my area (Bay Area, CA) offer Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Advanced Calculus, Number Theory, and even Chaos Math/Game Theory for senior year students. To qualify for those classes, you have to complete 1 year of AP Calculus, preferably BC.

So many students still take Calc BC junior year but the 'advanced' students finish it in freshman year, then take the advanced math electives in sophomore and then begin to take math classes at local colleges to complete their "math" undergrad requirements. And, most of these 'advanced math' students are most likely math/physics majors anyway. So a lot of math, especially calculus is very important.

I have tutored some of these "advanced math" types and one of the kids who started to learn calculus (basic differentiation & integration) was in the 6th grade!!

Yeah I know about the Bay Area high schools (still live there half the time) and after reading about people from Palo Alto/Cupertino/etc district schools going to China and spanking the world in math competitions, I'd say that's a little extreme and not quite the norm.

There's a lot of smarties in the Bay Area. In fact I interview a lot of them for scholarship applications. The obvious disagreement between you and me is that your "advanced" = my "extreme". :p Advanced = Honors/AP/etc.... Gifted = what you're talking about.

Last edited:

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
^LOL

We didn't have all that cool shit at my high school.

I had Algebra I -> Geometry -> Algebra II -> Calculus (online joke, we just played Quake).

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
Does he get a jacket? When I was on the math team back in the dark ages we weren't treated like the athletic teams, no cheerleaders, no jackets, little respect. We did get out of school early to travel to meets, that was cool.

Some time after I graduated, they changed things at my old HS, the math & debate teams started getting jackets like the jocks.

If your son is good, he'll get to go to the Math Olympics. Which was fun, though my memory was clouded by the enormous amount of beer were able to get to celebrate our team's victory. I was also the only one with a hotel room to myself as I was the only female student on the team.

All of this was back before they allowed the use of calculators during any exams.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
you must be joking.

Nope, and we had science books that were about 20 years old. Also they didn't offer a single college prep course. My math teacher told us students we had better hope to make it in the NBA or NFL. Unfortunate for me I'm about as nonathletic as a person could possibly be.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2010
Have we gotten this dumb? I am not trying to be a jerk but REALLY?

I am 32, and when I was a HS sophomore, all the kids good at math were taking pre-calculus. I took geometry in 10th grade and pre-cal in 11th grade.

Not to mention this was in the horrible South Carolina education system.

I lived in an area with good schools and the path was algebra in 9th grade, geometry in 10th grade, Trig in the 11th grade, and Math 12/Calculus in 12th grade. That was 30 yrs ago, things may have changed.

My kids go to a private school, but here's the flowchart for the local public school.

math.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2010
Does he get a jacket? When I was on the math team back in the dark ages we weren't treated like the athletic teams, no cheerleaders, no jackets, little respect. We did get out of school early to travel to meets, that was cool.

Some time after I graduated, they changed things at my old HS, the math & debate teams started getting jackets like the jocks.

If your son is good, he'll get to go to the Math Olympics. Which was fun, though my memory was clouded by the enormous amount of beer were able to get to celebrate our team's victory. I was also the only one with a hotel room to myself as I was the only female student on the team.

All of this was back before they allowed the use of calculators during any exams.

Not sure how it works. Just found that he was one of the four selected. It seems to be a regional league and I'm not sure if there's a path forward after this.