My Skippy Peanut Butter expired 2 years ago.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AkumaX, Sep 15, 2010.

1. SaDiZTiKStyLeZ

I used to eat alot of sandwiches and toast because they were quick to make. Then one day I made a couple sandwiches and realized. The damn bag was full of fruit flies. It was tossed immediately.
    When I finally had the urge to try a pb&j again after a few years, there was 1 jar of peanut butter that was years old. The other was opened, I was too scared to try that one. The 2 y/o unopened tasted fine though.

2. bfdd

bfdd Lifer

A couple months ago I ate one my buddy had in the freezer that expired like a year ago. Still good.

3. jiggahertz

jiggahertz Golden Member

With the hydrogenated oils you can probably eat it forever. I dunno if natty PB would last as long.

4. mmntech

mmntech Lifer

Peanut butter usually lasts a year, so that jar is likely three years old. Not sure if I'd eat it. Then again, if you didn't go blind...

5. moshquerade

moshquerade No Lifer

no way...

6. AkumaX

AkumaX Lifer

ya wai!

sadly, I also have another unopened skippy jar with a "best by" date of april '11 :p

7. Eli

Eli Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

When it's bad, you will be able to tell.

8. AkumaX

AkumaX Lifer

yeah, that's what i was thinking. how about i contest off that other jar of skippy? (since i'll probably never get to it haha)

9. Squisher

Squisher Lifer

Cool Story:

I just remembered something I hadn't thought of in a while. When I was in the Boy Scouts (late 60s) we went winter camping in cabins. This one time we went to what I assume was an old very remote military training facility. We found this 10 lb. can of peanut butter. There was no brand marking it just said peanut butter in plain black lettering. When we opened it up, that was the driest peanut butter I ever tasted. Even us desperate Scouts couldn't stomach it. Thinking back it was probably war surplus and was 15-25 years old. Nobody died or got sick.

10. darkewaffle

darkewaffle Diamond Member

A month? I go through a jar of Smuckers natural every week nearly, oh god it's delicious.

11. mrCide

mrCide Diamond Member

The girlfriend is super paranoid about any food. Meat in the fridge for 2 days "you think it's still good?" Anything close to used by date is given to me, etc. I dunno about PB, but most food that's bad will smell bad or taste bad. Granted I do manage to eat most food before that happens.

Ointments and medicines too, she's afraid of anything that reaches it's "date" like it'll hurt you or something.. not me!

12. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

Since no one has mentioned it, wasn't there a big peanut butter recall about 2 or 3 years ago?? lmao if it was one of the bad ones from back then & the OP starts eating it again.

On another note, I just cleaned out the fridge - there were all sorts of expired things in there, particularly stuff like pickles, relish, mustard, salad dressings. (Zero food that had mold on it or looked like it was bad - just a lot of expired stuff.) But, the thing I found most perplexing: I had baby carrots in the vegetable drawer, a whole pack of them, that had a June sell by date. June 2009. And, they looked as good as they did the day I bought them.

13. geno

geno Lifer

That's ok, your dog won't know the difference.

14. bfdd

bfdd Lifer

I just threw away a bag of Raisin Bran that had been sitting in my fridge for about a year. Opened, still smelled and looked good. Didn't try any though.