My setup can't finish 3dmark2001 and games anymore

TimisoaraKill

Dec 17, 2000
Hi , i hawe a problem here , my system will not finish 3DMARK 2001 and he jump out of games after 5 minn play .
I never had this problem before , i reset all PCI , Memory , Videocards , i reinstall XP but i hawe the same problem , it will not lockup but only quit the 3d application .

8K7A , XP Pro 0S ( SSE enabled )
XP 1800 / SK6
Leadtek Geforce 3
Nic 10/100 Dlink 530TX
512 Crucial DDR PC 2100
Soundcard Fortissimo Maxisound Hercules
60 GB Maxtor 7200
Antec SX1040 B , PP 412 X 400W PSU .
Liteon 40X CDRW
Toshiba 12X dvd

I run XP Pro , Nvidia 29.42 Oficial driver , no IRQ conflicts

TimisoaraKill

Dec 17, 2000
Yep , i just checked , fan is working , i hawe also 66 CFM in and 80 CFM out in my Antec Case .
A bad PCI card can do stuff like this ?

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Anything overclocked? Have you messed with programs like RivaTuner lately? I've had that happen to me sometimes, the program would just jump to desktop, that usually happens if its OCed too high.

Could be overheating, I suggest getting a program called Motherboard Monitor 5, so you can check out your tempetatures.

TimisoaraKill

Dec 17, 2000
Everything is default , nothing overclocked , MBM readings :
CPU = 45'Celsius under load
Motherboard = 30 ' celsius
System = 25 ' cel .
+ 5V line = 5 V under load and 5.5 idle
3.3V = 3.42
+12 V = 12.35

Everything was take after 15 minn of Norton AV scan .
Yes i installed the Riva Tuner but i left everything @ default , only thing i changed is refresh rate fix .

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Hrm... I'm not sure what exactly wrong. I remember having a problem in 3dmark, it used to bring me back to my desktop after a couple minutes or so, if the FSB is too high. (Don't ask why it didn't crash the whole system, but it just brought me back to desktop).

Your temps look good. I'm assuming thats not the problem. You've done a fresh install of Windows. So driver conflicts should not exist.

I do recall myself, having a problem with AGP fastwrites, and AGP Side band addressing, try disabling/enableing those, and see if it works.

I'd also suggest dropping down to AGPX2 or even AGPx1, and try running it under those settings, I do remember it fixes alot of Video Issues I've seen in the past.

TimisoaraKill

Dec 17, 2000
I just flashed bios to latest and clear CMOS , i took out all PCI/AGP cards and cleaned card contacts and all motherboard slots with electronic cleaner spray , i tested only with videocard inside and i hawe the same result .
I can run Defrag all the day @ full load so i think that is not a Cpu/motherboard/DDR problem .
I will disable fastwrites and run 2X AGP but i realy doubt that it will work since everything worked perfect until 1 week before .
I hope that is not the videocard , is only 3 monts old and is OEM :)

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Hehe, Well, try it anyway, and see if it'll work, and let me know. I don't have any better ideas. :(

I really have no idea what the problem is, if you have a spare videocard somewhere, try it out.

OEM and 3 months old? Hehe, that really sucks, hey, at least you now have a good reason to get that new Radeon9700 ;)

TimisoaraKill

Dec 17, 2000
I try also AGP 1X , AGP 2X , Fastwrites , bypass disable , but is the same thing :(
Damn OEM stuff , this is the first and last time i bought something without warranty , the risk is not worthit for 10-15 $ less
You might hawe 3 OEM components wich will work fine but if 1 will die you loose 100$ ,... well is not worthit , Motherboards , HDD's , DDR all hawe warranty and came retail so no ideea why i must be cheap to buy OEM video and soundcard :)
Well i guess that you learn everyday .