My SATs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
sheesh, if you are going to overreact, know the facts before you do.

On the SAT2s, using score choice, you can pick which subjects and scores from which dates you want to have on your SAT report. The ones that you don't pick aren't on there, colleges don't know if you even took them or not.

SAT1s, all of the scores are on your report, so they know exactly when you took them and how you did. How they look at those scores is completely up to them, if you did very very poorly one time and improved a lot they may just assume that you had a bad day the first time (though in that case you should have just cancelled the scores right after the test).

As far as randomly guessing is concerned, like you said because they round down incorrect answers it is better to guess. Even if you have no clue and can't eliminate any of the answers, probability is in your favor that you will gain more points than you lose. Next time when you have time, try doing a practice test by just randomly picking the answers, you'll see that more often you will end up positive. Now it doesn't happen all the time, it's just more probable that it will.

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by: kami333
On the SAT2s, using score choice, you can pick which subjects and scores from which dates you want to have on your SAT report. The ones that you don't pick aren't on there, colleges don't know if you even took them or not.

Score choice was eliminated last year. They felt that people who could afford it were getting an unfair advantage.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ClueLis
Originally posted by: kami333

Score choice was eliminated last year. They felt that people who could afford it were getting an unfair advantage.

:Q:Q:Q

Never knew that. Thank god I don't need to take them again, I made ample use of score choice (the back side of my score reports where they list all your old scores was full).

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
ahh dont fret... i had 4.0's in HS and when i took the SATs i screwed up majorly and got a combined score of 890! I missed an answer so it threw all my other answers off.. and I took it again and got a much better score. I was still accepted to Penn and they saw both scores.

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
i had a B average in highschool. SAT score was 1500. then i went to college and got straight Cs.

its all downhill for you sonny.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
For me a 1200 would be acceptable. That or above I won't take them again. Below I will.

I really think people's scores are pretty much directly correlated to their reading comprehension abilities and vocabulary. For the math, as long as you've completed geometry (because they LOVE to put geometry on the test), and can figure out how to use the concepts, you should be able to at least get a 650. But for the reading, if you read a lot, the passages will be easier; if you read a lot and have a better vocabulary, you'll do better on the analogies and sentence completions. It really doesn't test your overall ability in English and comprehension (especially because of the multitude of trick questions), which is why it's good that they're adding the writing section.