My sad day

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
This morning about 10:00 AM I was watching some streaming video and taking a break from BF1. All of a sudden my entire computer shut down. It would not even try to turn back on. I figured perhaps the power supply had died. It was 9:52 AM and Best Buy opened at 10:00 AM so I headed out and procured a replacement power supply. My system had a 850 watt gold Corsair and I found at bestbuy a 750 watt Corsair Bronze model so it was pretty close. After installing it the system would still not boot. I returned the new power supply since it was not the problem.

Later in the day I tried an old computer. It was pre-sandy bridge from 2009. I put the old hard drive and my EVGA 1080 in and it still would not turn on. I put the 850 Corsair in the old computer and it would still not boot. Finally I pulled out the 1080 and suddenly it would boot even the though there was no video present. I set the old computer back up minus the 1080 and put my old ATI 5870 and now everything is working. Thankfully EVGA has nice customer service and at 6:00 PM on a Saturday they answered the phone and agreed to cross ship a warranty replacement 1080 for me.

Now I am trying to barely play BF1 on the old 5870 :)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sorry to hear that. Always a little sad when a computer component decides to die on you. Might still replace that PSU too, just in case. Maybe. Depends on how much that you want to spend, versus the risk that it was the PSU that killed the video card somehow. Or you could keep the PSU, and get the RMAed video card, and wait for a re-peat, which, at that point, I think I would most definitely replace the PSU.

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
Sorry to hear that. Always a little sad when a computer component decides to die on you. Might still replace that PSU too, just in case. Maybe. Depends on how much that you want to spend, versus the risk that it was the PSU that killed the video card somehow. Or you could keep the PSU, and get the RMAed video card, and wait for a re-peat, which, at that point, I think I would most definitely replace the PSU.
Dude it's the card, bad cards do prevent computer from turning on or POST. You don't replace other parts just in case. If you have a flat tire on your car you do not replace its engine too, just in case.

The Alias

Aug 22, 2012
Dude it's the card, bad cards do prevent computer from turning on or POST. You don't replace other parts just in case. If you have a flat tire on your car you do not replace its engine too, just in case.
Too much current from the psu can damage video card components. It happens.

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
I stepped up from a 970 on day one of the 1080 launch. I even mentioned the issue to the customer service rep. He assured me the replacement card would have the new bios and thermal pads in the spots they missed.

Edit: No visible damage or smoke. It does have a back plate so it is hard to see anything. I can't see any reason to take it off or the heat sink.

Last edited:

The Alias

Aug 22, 2012
You must mean too much voltage. I am guessing you mean that there was a voltage spike. If you mean current, then I don't think you know how electricity works.

If the OP has an older EVGA GTX 1080, those cards are known to have VRM issues:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3138...with-faster-fan-speeds-free-thermal-pads.html
Voltage induces current which causes heat. You can have tons of voltage but unless you complete a circuit with a resistive element, you're not going to get any heat.