my routers keep breaking!

lockmac

Dec 5, 2004
Hi guys.

I am in Australia and have ADSL. Anyways, in the past 5 years, we have gone through about 4 different routers (this one we have now is a linksys wrv54g i think). Anyways, what seems to happen is that the internet just stops working through the router, yet will always work properly when connected through a computer and modem, rather than letting the router do it.

Anyways, this one seems to be doing the same thing as well, and i am starting to think maybe its not the routers? we have changed modems twice.

They appear to work fine for the first few months, and then we have to reset them now and then to get them working again....

This time though a reset isnt getting i working....

Anyone have any ideas what the reason would be for us going through so many routers?

One of the routers that we thought was broken works perfectlyl at my girlfriends house btw....

many thanks

ksheets

Aug 11, 2000
dirty power or unexpected surges? have you tested the wiring in the house?

lockmac

Dec 5, 2004
how would i go about testing the wiring in the house? what sorta wiring are we talkign about... the phone lines?

just weird how a new router will work for a few months and then stop ey...

doan

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2000
Consumer grade routers and switches always have crappy power supplies. Almost all of them run on 5 VDC or 12 VDC. Cut the cord off of the cheap Wall-Wart power supply and wire it into your PC (or other high quality power supply).

A spare 4-pin drive connetor is an easy one. Red-Black for 5 VDC or Yellow-Black for 12 VDC.

David