My room faces west and the sun hits it. Hard.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: ADDAvenger
Tape some aluminum foil over the whole window, or if you don't want to look like a loony trying to hide from the satellites, use black construction paper or some such material.

:shocked: lol, it's Hollywood, remember...as if THAT's out of line...:laugh:

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Just go with mirrors or aluminum foil....

ideally anything will help - b/c once you have a layer guarding you then you'll heat up through conduction through air rather tahn have it touch yoru skin straight up

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
I've used aluminum foil in apartment windows before. It works great but it looks ghetto from the outside. You can also use large sheets of styrofoam.

evolvedbullet

Mar 11, 2006
Another ironic thread, I have the same problem and if you do have curtains that have "sun stains", throw a blanket or 2 on the window. Get them hanging from the curtain hanger. Brace yourself, it's not going to really help much so you better get an AC quick.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Try freezer paper. I just put some on my living room window to block direct sunlight. Unlike cloth, which has lots of little holes, paper is opaque yet transmits a lot of light.
lol

What are you loling about? Me calling it opaque but transmitting a lot of light? Opaque can mean just that you can't see through it. I can't think of a better word anyway :p

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Put some reflecting material on the windows themselves. As other stated, cheap aluminum foil will work.

If you can also block the sun by an awning, that will also help.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
This is going to sound stupid...but they don't have to actually be black do they? I don't want it to look like I'm in 1940s Britain.

Err, Blackout Curtains are actually white on the sun facing side. They are called that because you use it to blackout your room :)

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Cellular shades like these

QFT

We have these fitted for our windows an they make a HUGE difference both in the summer keeping it cool and in the winter keeping it warm.