My rant with Dell Technical Support

Unforseen

Dec 23, 2005
Yeah, so I bought this Inspiron XPS laptop september of 2004. It worked perfectly for a few months but then I started to notice a continuous drop in performance over the course of the next 4 months. However, I didn't pay much attention to it because I was busy with college. Now that I am back to gaming I notice that I can't even get more than 10 fps on UT2004. I've noticed that my loadup times for the laptop have dropped and generally things are running much slower. Also, my fan is running full blast after about 5 minutes of just being on.

Here are my specs:
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Pentium 4 3.4 ghz

I know that my laptop shouldn't be running this bad. Bear in mind that I have UT2004 running at LOWEST details for every category and I have it running at 800x600 and 16 bit. One thing I do notice is that if I leave the laptop off for about a day and then turn it on and try to play I do get around 80 fps for 5-10 minutes. Then it slowly starts to drop down to 10 fps. Could this be a heat problem? Is my cpu or video card damaged?

Also bear in mind that I recently reformatted my laptop(10 days ago) and have all the appropriate drivers up to date. In my defense, this fps problem has been persistent before and after the reformat. Anyone with any suggestions as to why my gaming laptop has become so mediocre? Its a shame to spend 2,600 dollars and not have something do what its built to do. BTW, I still have 2 years left on my warranty.

Also, I blew out the dust from the fan vents and it seems that my cpu is throttling when it gets to a certain temperature. I can play the game for a while but then my fps starts to go down and when I ran rightmark clock utility it showed that my cpu was only running at 1600 which is half of its potential clock speed. Could it be that the XPS was poorly designed and that whenever its doing something intensive for a while it begins to overheat and therefore reduce its clockspeed? could this also be why my framerate has been horrendous and why my fan is continously running on high?

Anyway, I called dell technical support and they gave me the run-around asking if I was sure UT2004 was compatible with teh Inspiron XPS...its a gaming machine for crying out loud. I have the proof that the XPS is throttling cpu power but they won't believe me. Now they want me to send it in to the depot so they can check it and reassure themselves that there is no malfunction with the hardware. I know there isn't! Its simply a design flaw that replacing parts won't fix....Any ideas on how to get through to dell? I figure I might as well send it in and see what they say but i'm almost positive replacing parts won't fix the problem because the Prescott processor in my XPS is just generating too much heat.

I know of a lot of people over on the dell community forums who are having the same problem with this exact same system. A few of them have been able to get free upgrades to the Inspiron XPS generation 2 because the gen 1 isn't in development anymore. I'd appreciate any feedback on how to proceed.

LiLithTecH

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2002
I think you pretty much have answered your own question.

If the CPU is overheating (the most likely cause with the XPS)
and the CPU is running at half rated speed (have seen worse on the XPS)
then send it in.

Just make sure you save what ever data you need to because it is unlikely to
be there when it returns.

Tu13erhead

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I'd stick a vacuum up to the fan intake and exhaust ports and see what you can suck out. But that's just me.

themusgrat

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2005
Send it in and pray, after you clean it. The Prescott is a really hot proc, so you are right in that it is part of the problem. But another reason might be the fan. Try cleaning it first, but remember that some cheap fans start to lose speed after a while. Hopefully Dell doesn't just replace the fan, because you'll have the same problem in a couple more months, only with no warranty. Hopefully dust is the only problem.

Unforseen

Dec 23, 2005
Thanks guys, I was really hoping that I could get them to stick a Northwood Processor in there so all my problems would go away. Either that or get a replacement laptop(gen 2 since gen 1 isn't made anymore). What are the chances of them caving in?