My rant about the still obscene welfare system..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
Originally posted by: Vic
IamDavid, you are preachin' to the choir here. Anyone who thinks that welfare isn't abused and that welfare mothers don't live off of it for life hasn't actually seen it in action.
We know its abused but if you remove it then crime will go sky high. It's one of those things that you just turn your head and let it go.
You ignore basic US History. Crime was less before the implementation of welfare than after. Plus, there was very little abuse when we had effective private charities.

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
your body doesn?t work then use your mind to make a living.

If you mind doesn?t work use your body to make a living.

If neither one works or if either one is so bad that you cannot work I have no problem supporting you with my taxes. In this case you are really a ward of the state and should have not voting, driving, or ownership rights.

If you just lost your job I have no problem supporting you for 6 months with my taxes.

If you are under the age of 18, I have no problem supplying you with food, shelter, school, clothing, and medical care with my taxes.

If you think you I should support you because you are old or dumb or lazy or a poor planner, - you have another thing coming.

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
the United States spent $104.3 billion on corporate welfare and $619 billion on the military, while spending only $14.4 billion on Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC.)
I really believe we spent MORE on corporate welfare and significantly LESS on the military. Technically, if we want to calculate subsidies to the poor you have to factor in Medicare, childcare, and housing costs.

Forgive me my ignorance, but what exactly is corporate welfare?

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Carbonyl
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
the United States spent $104.3 billion on corporate welfare and $619 billion on the military, while spending only $14.4 billion on Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC.)

I really believe we spent MORE on corporate welfare and significantly LESS on the military. Technically, if we want to calculate subsidies to the poor you have to factor in Medicare, childcare, and housing costs.

I'm having a hard time finding complete by-the-numbers information but I can gauntee "obscene" of hardy a word I'd use for the paltry benefits they recieve or what it costs the tax payer relativly.

I probably agree with you about spending way to much on corporate welfare. No doubt about it. On the other hand your foolish if you believe we should spend less on the military. There is allot of waste in the military but we need to spend more and spend it more efficiently!
And obscene is exactly what I'd call it. I laid out at least 4 grand out the tax payers money my sister spent in less then 2 month time. Its simple to do and no one seems to care she does it.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
IamDavid, you are preachin' to the choir here. Anyone who thinks that welfare isn't abused and that welfare mothers don't live off of it for life hasn't actually seen it in action.
We know its abused but if you remove it then crime will go sky high. It's one of those things that you just turn your head and let it go.
You ignore basic US History. Crime was less before the implementation of welfare than after. Plus, there was very little abuse when we had effective private charities.

Are you trying to compare 1935 with 2003? What an absurd statement.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Why not turn her in? If she were my sister or mother and doing that crap I would turn them in.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
all that she wants is another baby, and she's gone tomorrow.

that is why we need pics to see if it is worth the airfare...;)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Are you trying to compare 1935 with 2003? What an absurd statement.
Why? Did a different species of human live then?

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Why? Did a different species of human live then?

Didn't the stock market crash in 1929? Wasn't the US coming out of the great depression in 1935?

Cheers,

Andy

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Why not turn her in? If she were my sister or mother and doing that crap I would turn them in.

Wow. How was Xmas time at your house? ;)