My rant about the still obscene welfare system..

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
My sister is the reason I can't stand welfare and other "free" government handouts. She and her friends use the system against itself over and over again. She has two kids. 6 and 7, and her friends each have a couple or more. She alone has spent over $4000 of the tax payers money in less ten 2 months time. :( I'd hate to see the bill for her and her 3 friends.. Here is what they do..

In Iowa, to receive government aid, you must attempt to get a job. You must apply for a certain number of jobs per month and attend some kind of workshops. After 6 months of not finding work the state will find you a job if they can. So to avoid the state getting them jobs they all move down to Arkansas where they re apply for aid. Apparently Arkansas has the same system as Iowa does and the two states don't talk to each other because welfare isn't controlled by the federal government. So after 6 months they do it all over again and move back to Iowa. Its quite astonishing the amount of money and services they receive each month.

I unfortunately had to spend some time with her over the past two months so this is how I learned all this. Her and her friends pretty much brag about this as if they are proud. I can't believe I am related to such trash. My family has always broken the law in one way or another and all have spent there fare share of time in prison but we've ALWAYS taken care of ourselves! NO $%#^$&% handouts! Ever! Here are the basics of what she has received over the past couple months:

*Once a month she receives a check for just over $450 cash. (She pays NO rent or bills because she always has someone to movie in with when she gets here or there)
*Once a month she receives over $300 food stamps or whatever they call them these days. Its a debt card.
*Each of her children have went to the Dr's at least 3 times each month. I'm not really mad about this because kids need health-care but the one time she took her daughters because her nose was red and running.. The Doc told her to use Tylenol. Wow, that was worth a Dr's visit.
*My sister went to the Dr's twice each month so far. Each time getting various medications for everything from Flonase(Allergies) to heartburn medication.
*Each child went to the dentist twice. Once for cleaning and a checkup, the second for cavities..
*She went to the dentist 3 times. One cleaning, one checkup, then had her Wisdom teeth removed.. She said they itched occasionally?? The dentist don't care because he gets paid from the state..
* Free daycare! Why I don't know. She doesn't work. She takes the kids to the daycare in the morning and picks them up in the evening.
*She receives some sort of voucher thinging for more food. Its for milk and other basics which I thought the food-stamps should buy. Guess not.

Its absolutely outrages the money we all spend on people like this. She is a perfectly capable person with NOTHING wrong with her. She has no physical or mental problems at all. Besides being lazy and an all around pathetic excuse for a american. She or any of her friends aren't the so called "crackhead welfare moms" who spend all there money on drugs. They don't touch them, they don't even smoke. It just baffles my mind someone could do this as a lifestyle. Unfortunately it happens all to often.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Nice rant but relise welfare is limited time and only 5% of the Federal budget. I donno know about you but I don't sweat the small stuff. I think they should have to do something though for the check. Assemble toys, babysit, scrub graffitti off walls, something but free is bad.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
yup, the welfare system is broken. girls run around thinking they have the "golden checkbook" between their legs because, here in texas, as long as you're having babies, the state pays up.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
How is Welfare a temporary thing? She gets past it by moving every six months then moving back. It restarts once you miss a month.. And 5% of the budget is madness! It should be .5

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Carbonyl
Nice rant but relise welfare is limited time and only 5% of the Federal budget. I donno know about you but I don't sweat the small stuff. I think they should have to do something though for the check. Assemble toys, babysit, scrub graffitti off walls, something but free is bad.

5% of the federal budget but whats the total % of gov't spending that goes to welfare? bet its higher than 5%

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Are the medical bills paid for by the state considered welfare or just part of Medicaid - Medicare?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: IamDavid
How is Welfare a temporary thing? She gets past it by moving every six months then moving back. It restarts once you miss a month.. And 5% of the budget is madness! It should be .5

The program has a 2-2-1 five year cap for the life of the mother. Also study milton freidman, he says in a capitalist economy less than 6% real unemployment is an immposibility. What are we to do with this 6%? If you think its such a good deal to be on welfare why arnt you? Fact is welfare sucks what with hyper low pay and bad scoial stigma.

As I said we should make them do some type of community service for the check though.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Seems to me that a 4 year stint in the Army would be a good alternate incentive for welfare.
1) Learn disipline
2) Provides medical (Including for the kids)
3) Teaches a trade (Some are better than others)
4) Provides the family with housing
5) Provides schooling for the kids.
6) Pays enough to get by
7) Don't need to move between Iowa & Arkansas, but gives world visiting experience.
8) Lets you kill those that disagree (Unlike this forum)

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
lol, CaptnKirk. That would be the day. I would love to see it though.. On the other hand my little bro is in the Army and he makes little to nothing stationed in Germany. He doesn't have a family to support thankfully.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
Seems to me that a 4 year stint in the Army would be a good alternate incentive for welfare.
1) Learn disipline
6) Pays enough to get by
7) Don't need to move between Iowa & Arkansas, but gives world visiting experience.
An outstanding idea. After serving 20 years myself, I highly recommend the military experience to anyone who can qualify. However, there is a four letter word involved......

w-o-r-k

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
to anyone who can qualify

Therein lies the problem, not only are most welfare recipients totally illiterate and have no HS diploma, most have drug prior usage and mental problems.

You're asking a hell of a lot to these women in the services the services should never be thought of as a jobs program, well no biggie I guess just dumb it down further:p LOL

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

Therein lies the problem, not only are most welfare recipients totally illiterate and have no HS diploma, most have drug prior usage and mental problems.

You're asking a hell of a lot to these women in the services the services should never be thought of as a jobs program, well no biggie I guess just dumb it down further:p LOL
Well, most women with kids in this group couldn't enlist anyway because they are single parents. And, by the way, no, I don't advocate a return to the days of McNamara's Morons. :p

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: IamDavid

The program has a 2-2-1 five year cap for the life of the mother. Also study milton freidman, he says in a capitalist economy less than 6% real unemployment is an immposibility. What are we to do with this 6%? If you think its such a good deal to be on welfare why arnt you? Fact is welfare sucks what with hyper low pay and bad scoial stigma.

As I said we should make them do some type of community service for the check though.

That 6% frictional unemployment is necessary for the workforce - it allows people to retrain for new positions or new fields. It has little to nothing to do with long-term welfare support.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I still can't belive people bitch about these little defenseless welfare mothers. Can't wait to hear the ole lie about the welfare queen driving a caddilac. Alot of Republicans are beggar wantabees and nothing more....ditto heads with a total disregard for their fellow man. Unless of course, they can spunge off the govt with a grant or a contract for their wares. Waste and welfare for federal contractors is insane but hardly registers in these forums or on main street. I guess it's easier to pick on those that don't or can't fight back.

Most Americans would be little more than dirty little farmers without the Federal govt supporting larger institutions of income equality, fairness, education and general welfare. You are essensially biting the hand that feeds and empowers you IMO.

Make them work for the check, nuff said.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
IamDavid, you are preachin' to the choir here. Anyone who thinks that welfare isn't abused and that welfare mothers don't live off of it for life hasn't actually seen it in action.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000

That's what I always thought to. Now after seeing it first hand it looks much different then you see on the news. My sis and her friends ALL graduated high-school and the one even went to college for a year and a half before getting knocked up. My sister throughout HS was an honor role student and could have easily went on to college. I don't understand it at all.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Looks like a lack of direction on knowing what she wants to do.
Just drifting not knowing what or where one want's to aim thier life is common in youth.
I've seen what female recruits in the Army go through - some groups start together and go
completely through basic training as a joint outfit. The gals do virtually everything that
the guys do - within weight restrictions. No real difference, it's tough - and good for them.

Lynch saw the opportunity to break from a society trap she was in, do the Army thing,
get a G.I. Bill and training - go back to school to better herself in life.
Military teaches a harsh lesson - you grow up pretty quick & get responsibility too.
But first they kick your ass up around your neck.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I still can't belive people bitch about these little defenseless welfare mothers. Can't wait to hear the ole lie about the welfare queen driving a caddilac. Alot of Republicans are beggar wantabees and nothing more....ditto heads with a total disregard for their fellow man. Unless of course, they can spunge off the govt with a grant or a contract for their wares. Waste and welfare for federal contractors is insane but hardly registers in these forums or on main street. I guess it's easier to pick on those that don't or can't fight back.

Most Americans would be little more than dirty little farmers without the Federal govt supporting larger institutions of income equality, fairness, education and general welfare. You are essensially biting the hand that feeds and empowers you IMO.

Make them work for the check, nuff said.

Correction I said earlier AFDC is 5% of the federal budget, It's only 1% and from 1--2% at the state level. They're robbing from us. Roll.

Link

the United States spent $104.3 billion on corporate welfare and $619 billion on the military, while spending only $14.4 billion on Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC.)

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
the United States spent $104.3 billion on corporate welfare and $619 billion on the military, while spending only $14.4 billion on Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC.)

I really believe we spent MORE on corporate welfare and significantly LESS on the military. Technically, if we want to calculate subsidies to the poor you have to factor in Medicare, childcare, and housing costs.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc

I really believe we spent MORE on corporate welfare and significantly LESS on the military. Technically, if we want to calculate subsidies to the poor you have to factor in Medicare, childcare, and housing costs.

I'm having a hard time finding complete by-the-numbers information but I can gauntee "obscene" of hardy a word I'd use for the paltry benefits they recieve or what it costs the tax payer relativly.

BTW bali, "military" includes both uniformend services of about 300 bil and contractors for another 300 bil.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: burnedout
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
1) Learn disipline
6) Pays enough to get by
An outstanding idea. After serving 20 years myself, I highly recommend the military experience to anyone who can qualify. However, there is a four letter word involved......

w-o-r-k

Forget that. Who wants to "work" when you can get some lazy office job and surf the internet all day.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
IamDavid, you are preachin' to the choir here. Anyone who thinks that welfare isn't abused and that welfare mothers don't live off of it for life hasn't actually seen it in action.

We know its abused but if you remove it then crime will go sky high. It's one of those things that you just turn your head and let it go.